Game Day Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles- Its time!

Remove this Banner Ad

kempy

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sunday 27 May 2018

Etihad Stadium 11:10 am (WST)

West Coast have the chance to put some demons behind them when they travel to take on Hawthorn on Sunday. Sure, the game is at Etihad and not at the MCG, but our record against Hawthorn in Victoria/Tasmania is not great. We have beaten the Hawks once outside of WA since 1997 and that was 2005 in Launceston, so the omens for this week aren’t great. The only other game the two sides have played at Etihad was 5 years ago and was a high scoring affair with the Hawks winning 19.9 to 16.7.

Some highlights in the past
Woosha on Brereton

Nic’s second game

Season Form

West Coast go into the game with terrific form having lost only the first game of the year and on the back of a massive win against Richmond. Hawthorn have had a mixed year so far and lost to bottom side Brisbane last week. Typically, it seems, we get to play a team immediately after a demoralising loss. Expect Hawthorn to come out determined not to give an inch. I expect that they will try to close us down and be more defensive than usual.

The Coaches - Clarkson v Simpson

One thing we know is that Clarkson will have studied West Coast’s games this year and identified the key weaknesses which he thinks Hawthorn can exploit. Recognized as the best coach in the business Clarkson has quickly returned Hawthorn to the top eight/four by astute trading and player development. A knock on him is that he seems to look for issues to complain about after a loss. Hopefully that is the case next week.

Simpson is a product of the Hawthorn coaching system and learnt at the feet of the master. The big question is whether he can match him on game day. Simpson seems more confident and assured in his role this year. He has got his side working as a team with terrific spirit and group determination. A lot of this has come from the new players injected into the side. In addition, the change in game plan to one of kicking accurately and tackling harder has paid dividends.

The Rioli factor

Cyril Rioli seems to enjoy playing against the Eagles. This year, however, we have the Rioli factor in our favour. Willie has shown he has great talent and is our x-factor in this game. Expect him to clock up more than 14kms, kick superbly and tackle fiercely (with duty of care).

Key contests

Ruck: Its debatable whether this will be a contest give McEvoy averages 30 hit outs a game and the rest about 7. Nic and Lycett (av. 54) will dominate the hit outs and the key for the Eagles will be or the midfield to take advantage of that dominance. Lycett is playing well around the ground and Nic is demolishing any opposition player that he gets his hands on.​

Mitchell v Hutchings: Tom Mitchell has been racking up the touches for Hawthorn this year averaging 34 a game. He also leads their tackle count. If he is going to be tagged, then you would think Hutchings would get the job. If you restrict Mitchell, you stop Hawthorn to a large extent.​

WCE defence V Hawthorn attack: Breust and Gunston are the Hawks’ leading goal kickers. They both spend plenty of time up the ground but still get forward to score those goals. West Coast’s defence is one of the best going around, especially if teams bomb it in. Roughead adds some height up forward and is a class player. Those three players are the leading inside 50 contested marks, so the Eagles’ defence know who they have to stop. McEvoy also drifts down there to add a bit of height, but that's about all.​

Hawthorn defence V WCE attack: Trying to stop Kennedy, Darling and Lecras is a tough job. The Hawks are conceding 90 points a game. The Eagles are scoring just over 100pts a game. It will take a special effort for those numbers to be reversed on Sunday.​

Sicily v WCE: Sicily has been turned into a defender this year and is doing a good job. Rapidly becoming the player to most dislike in the Hawks side, Sicily is a good mark and effective player. I would expect him to primarily focus on Waterman while also being the spare player at the back at times.​

Prediction

A comparison of the two teams’ average stats this season make for interesting reading. West Coast have more kicks and fewer handballs, take more marks, score more goals, similar inside 50s, fewer clangers, more contested marks, and have similar contested possessions and clearances. At face value the teams look evenly balanced statistically, but ladder position says the Eagles are a better team. At this stage we don’t know if Yeo and Shuey will play, or if O’Meara will be there for Hawthorn. The Eagles are playing exciting, aggressive football but come up against a team who have had their measure in Melbourne. If this was at the MCG it would still be hard to pick the Eagles but as it’s at Etihad it’s the Eagles to win by around 30 pts. Its time!

Last edited:
reserved for something …. Like the teams!

62e667fd0211e2cf48b478768db86c24.jpg

Thanks to Asterix

Last edited:

Want to beat these campaigners ion Vic so, so bad.

BUT its along season and I can see us dropping 10-15% workrate here after that great game last weekend and Hawks lifting after a dismal game against the previously winless Lions

Go Eags!

One question.

Who do we play on Sisly to make him lose his sh!t?

Get him distracted and their defense will fall apart.

Interested to see Ah chee given the job, see if he has some mongrel in him?

Or do we just play normally and smash em?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those 3 from nic. Was a member then and had the 3 grandmas near me bagging him all game. The look of their faces after that 3rd....delightful.

Be a tough game this week. We will surely be flat a game soon and hawks will wanna.bounce back. Hopefully jack
kicks 9

One question.

Who do we play on Sisly to make him lose his sh!t?

Get him distracted and their defense will fall apart.

Interested to see Ah chee given the job, see if he has some mongrel in him?

Or do we just play normally and smash em?
Thinking Sicily might get matched to Jake Waterman.....& looking forward to it if it happens. Young Jake has good footy smarts & a tank to match him. Could be a great duel.

Thinking Sicily might get matched to Jake Waterman.....& looking forward to it if it happens. Young Jake has good footy smarts & a tank to match him. Could be a great duel.
I would be a little surprised as Hawthorn usually like to play Sicily more central in defence and Waterman has been playing wider and higher. I think they might try Sicily on King Jack. If we keep playing the systems we have been playing, I don't give a toss where they play that campaigner.

Would we play Etihad more frequently than the Hawks? Legitimate question.

No concerns over this one. I'm feeling 2015 qualifying final mrk 2 coming on.

Perth Stadium is comparable to Etihad moreso than MCG. Both in dimensions and hardness.
So it should suit us more.

Every week this year I just feel like we will get it done. Then I think about the game a bit more....no we can do this s**t! This team has me believing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back