Hawthorn vs Fremantle match preview!

Remove this Banner Ad

cardamon

Senior List
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh crap! I forgot to write my preview of the Hawthorn v Fremantle game! Well I'll just have to hop in my time machine and write it out, pretending that I haven't seen the game yet. I mean... I have not seen the Hawthorn vs Fremantle game that occurred on Saturday 1.45PM EST and I DO NOT possess secret & stolen CIA technology for the sole purpose of viewing footy games before they happen. (Though if I did, I would tell you all to keep September 2023 free :) )

PREVIEW BEGINS NOW: Ahh, good old Fremantle... I start to believe again, I get my hopes up, I get disappointed. We all know the cycle.

Coming off a pretty heartbreaking loss, the ladder looks roughly the same as it did a week ago (although St Kilda are like equal points with us at the minute? Wild world)

Luckily we have an absolute treat of a game coming up on Saturday. It's fair to say that Fremantle and Hawthorn have not played in too many thrillers in recent years, with some 15 point margins proving the closest those teams have come recently (Round 3 this year and last years game. No match was played between Hawthorn and Fremantle in either 2013 or 2015. I think we may have played them once between 2014 and 2020. Frankly the AFL should be ashamed, not only do we miss out on Friday games and MCG games every year, but they can barely be bothered scheduling us against the Hawks. Luckily for us in the few times we have played them, we have come home home with the chocolates.

Last Time They Played:
Sean Darcy had an absolutely huge game, kicking 3 goals and dominating in the ruck. The commentators gushed over Tim O'Brien leaping for the ball in the first quarter (he did not play very well and is not playing tomorrow). Fyfe dominated and kicked beautifully around the ground, and even contributed an entire goal! Pav did not play. Brennan Cox laughed at a huge Luke Ryan collision.

We controlled the game in the first quarter and got out to a solid lead, Hawthorn fought back in the second and the third became a high scoring arm wrestle. Freddie soccered an incredible goal at full pace, chased by Jiath. Brayshaw copped a hard tag, began to flourish into the game in the last quarter. By halfway through the last, we were up by enough and the Hawks kicked a couple of junk time goals. Had we converted a bit better it could've been a really impressive victory.

Honestly all this stuff is window dressing for the great man's 200th game. I can't really say much that hasn't already been said about Nat Fyfe, not only is he a leaping, skillful master of the contest, but has a loyal heart of gold, bleeds purple and is clearly doing everything he can to get this club back to finals. Here's hoping there will be many many more

It is also NAIDOC week, and as such we will be wearing the Indigenous Guernseys designed by Des Headland

Might be worth mentioning that Hawthorn have agreed to a succession plan with Clarko handing over the reigns to Sam Mitchell! I have no idea if this will fire them up or leave them feeling heavy. Obviously I've already seen the game but to be honest who knows, I am not a mind reader

Also I hate to say it and I'm not going to name names, but Hawthorn have some truly weird looking heads on the team. Obviously the footy team I follow is the most handsome. They (Hawthorn) have however been playing some decent footy in the past few weeks (well, they beat the Giants and lost to Port and Essendon. So basically us)

We are going in as favorites, which is absolutely baffling to me. Before this match we hadn't won in Tassie since...? Sirengate? and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that have never beaten Hawthorn 3 tims in a row (No I will not apply journalistic rigor and NO I will not check this)

Prediction: Honestly, we are going to start slow again. We are playing at 1.45PM EST (11.45am in Perth- the boys need their sleep in time and we will take at least 30 mins to wake up! Yes I know they've been in Melbourne for 2 weeks but old habits die hard) and we are playing in Arctic Tassie. The only players keeping us in it during the first quarter will be Fyfe, kicking 3.2, and Treacy, taking out Hawthorn defenders like bowling pins. Cold legs means we will kick 2.9 in the first half (one of Fyfe's goals was "touched" a la Lachie Schultz's v Carlton (Big review the following week at AFL HQ a la sirengate, we are eventually awarded the extra goal)) , before storming home with a 6 to 1 goal 3rd quarter. I got a text from a girl in the last quarter and was distracted so I don't actually know how this one will end. Obviously with this time travel stuff I sent my reply before we had even met so please do not ask how I'm doing.

Oh, and Banfield will have an absolute cracker, he gets a 5 year extension immediately after game. Like, immediately. Belly and JL rush onto the field with a contract and a pen and get him locked down. I'm not joking, the game this guy is going to play will get AFL rules changed. People in the year 2080 (we live underground because of Climate change) call footy Baileyball now. Just be ready.

Oh crap! I forgot to write my preview of the Hawthorn v Fremantle game! Well I'll just have to hop in my time machine and write it out, pretending that I haven't seen the game yet. I mean... I have not seen the Hawthorn vs Fremantle game that occurred on Saturday 1.45PM EST and I DO NOT possess secret & stolen CIA technology for the sole purpose of viewing footy games before they happen. (Though if I did, I would tell you all to keep September 2023 free :) )

PREVIEW BEGINS NOW: Ahh, good old Fremantle... I start to believe again, I get my hopes up, I get disappointed. We all know the cycle.

Coming off a pretty heartbreaking loss, the ladder looks roughly the same as it did a week ago (although St Kilda are like equal points with us at the minute? Wild world)

Luckily we have an absolute treat of a game coming up on Saturday. It's fair to say that Fremantle and Hawthorn have not played in too many thrillers in recent years, with some 15 point margins proving the closest those teams have come recently (Round 3 this year and last years game. No match was played between Hawthorn and Fremantle in either 2013 or 2015. I think we may have played them once between 2014 and 2020. Frankly the AFL should be ashamed, not only do we miss out on Friday games and MCG games every year, but they can barely be bothered scheduling us against the Hawks. Luckily for us in the few times we have played them, we have come home home with the chocolates.

Last Time They Played:
Sean Darcy had an absolutely huge game, kicking 3 goals and dominating in the ruck. The commentators gushed over Tim O'Brien leaping for the ball in the first quarter (he did not play very well and is not playing tomorrow). Fyfe dominated and kicked beautifully around the ground, and even contributed an entire goal! Pav did not play. Brennan Cox laughed at a huge Luke Ryan collision.

We controlled the game in the first quarter and got out to a solid lead, Hawthorn fought back in the second and the third became a high scoring arm wrestle. Freddie soccered an incredible goal at full pace, chased by Jiath. Brayshaw copped a hard tag, began to flourish into the game in the last quarter. By halfway through the last, we were up by enough and the Hawks kicked a couple of junk time goals. Had we converted a bit better it could've been a really impressive victory.

Honestly all this stuff is window dressing for the great man's 200th game. I can't really say much that hasn't already been said about Nat Fyfe, not only is he a leaping, skillful master of the contest, but has a loyal heart of gold, bleeds purple and is clearly doing everything he can to get this club back to finals. Here's hoping there will be many many more

It is also NAIDOC week, and as such we will be wearing the Indigenous Guernseys designed by Des Headland

Might be worth mentioning that Hawthorn have agreed to a succession plan with Clarko handing over the reigns to Sam Mitchell! I have no idea if this will fire them up or leave them feeling heavy. Obviously I've already seen the game but to be honest who knows, I am not a mind reader

Also I hate to say it and I'm not going to name names, but Hawthorn have some truly weird looking heads on the team. Obviously the footy team I follow is the most handsome. They (Hawthorn) have however been playing some decent footy in the past few weeks (well, they beat the Giants and lost to Port and Essendon. So basically us)

We are going in as favorites, which is absolutely baffling to me. Before this match we hadn't won in Tassie since...? Sirengate? and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that have never beaten Hawthorn 3 tims in a row (No I will not apply journalistic rigor and NO I will not check this)

Prediction: Honestly, we are going to start slow again. We are playing at 1.45PM EST (11.45am in Perth- the boys need their sleep in time and we will take at least 30 mins to wake up! Yes I know they've been in Melbourne for 2 weeks but old habits die hard) and we are playing in Arctic Tassie. The only players keeping us in it during the first quarter will be Fyfe, kicking 3.2, and Treacy, taking out Hawthorn defenders like bowling pins. Cold legs means we will kick 2.9 in the first half (one of Fyfe's goals was "touched" a la Lachie Schultz's v Carlton (Big review the following week at AFL HQ a la sirengate, we are eventually awarded the extra goal)) , before storming home with a 6 to 1 goal 3rd quarter. I got a text from a girl in the last quarter and was distracted so I don't actually know how this one will end. Obviously with this time travel stuff I sent my reply before we had even met so please do not ask how I'm doing.

Oh, and Banfield will have an absolute cracker, he gets a 5 year extension immediately after game. Like, immediately. Belly and JL rush onto the field with a contract and a pen and get him locked down. I'm not joking, the game this guy is going to play will get AFL rules changed. People in the year 2080 (we live underground because of Climate change) call footy Baileyball now. Just be ready.
Now that was some wild magic carpet ride…

Why do people think we are going to lose to Hawks?

We should beat Hawks at this point, if we can't do it then the club needs changes and changes quickly, cannot continue on a path where we are losing to 17th at this point in the season.

Why do people think we are going to lose to Hawks?

We should beat Hawks at this point, if we can't do it then the club needs changes and changes quickly, cannot continue on a path where we are losing to 17th at this point in the season.
Because Hawks are playing better footy than 17th, it’s in Tasmania and we’ve traveled more in 7 days then Blues have the whole season

Last edited:
Because Hawks are playing better footy, it’s in Tasmania and we’ve traveled more in 7 days then Blues have the whole season
Still no excuses to lose to 17th at this point in the season, If JL can't get the team up to beat the Hawks then we have serious problems

Is our best better than their best? Yes, so make the moves we need to get our best tomorrow.

Still no excuses to lose to 17th at this point in the season, If JL can't get the team up to beat the Hawks then we have serious problems

Is our best better than their best? Yes, so make the moves we need to get our best tomorrow.
If it was as simple as who’s best is better then tipping would be pretty easy each week. Think yours is an over reaction

If it was as simple as who’s best is better then tipping would be pretty easy each week. Think yours is an over reaction
So you genuinely think we should lose to 17th this week? just because we have been on a couple planes and stayed away from home?

We have got one of our more complete teams out there atm, it would be a disgrace to drop this

So you genuinely think we should lose to 17th this week? just because we have been on a couple planes and stayed away from home?

We have got one of our more complete teams out there atm, it would be a disgrace to drop this
No I don’t think we should lose but I don’t think we need to blow the place up if we do

No I don’t think we should lose but I don’t think we need to blow the place up if we do
Whats the final straw then, bundling out of the finals race to 17th place in the 6th year of our rebuild is a pretty bleak outlook.

FWIW I think we win but I'm just perplexed that the immediate tone of this thread was that we lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the final straw then, bundling out of the finals race to 17th place in the 6th year of our rebuild is a pretty bleak outlook.

FWIW I think we win but I'm just perplexed that the immediate tone of this thread was that we lose.
I suppose it depends where you are at. I’m personally a very long way from the final straw considering the injuries and fixturing we’ve had and think we’ll make finals consistently from next year.

One win or lose isn’t going to change my mind on the overall picture

I suppose it depends where you are at. I’m personally a very long way from the final straw considering the injuries and fixturing we’ve had and think we’ll make finals consistently from next year.

We are putting one of our strongest sides out, injury list is a small as it has been in a while

Its the cumulative losses over the season that culminates in being knocked out of finals.
Meh, Crows nearly had em in Tassie, North rolled em in Tassie, Bombers knocked em off in Tassie

We aren't even travelling all the way from Perth for once, Tassie shouldn't be an auto loss

We are putting one of our strongest sides out, injury list is a small as it has been in a while

Its the cumulative losses over the season that culminates in being knocked out of finals.

Meh, Crows nearly had em in Tassie, North rolled em in Tassie, Bombers knocked em off in Tassie

We aren't even travelling all the way from Perth for once, Tassie shouldn't be an auto loss

It shouldn't be, but historically it has been.

We'll make finals consistently next year ayeee....i've read that line in here for about 3 years now.

Indeed we are trending up in a slow pace, but we've seen Essendon and Sydney leap frog us. Others will too if we keep screwing around with our list.

Great Bailey Banfield call! You really must be a time traveller as nobody else saw that game coming from him!!!

Great Bailey Banfield call! You really must be a time traveller as nobody else saw that game coming from him!!!
*takes a very deep breath*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back