Preview Hawthorn VS St Kilda part 2! The Morwell Emergency Services themed practice Match 4:30pm Friday the 28th of February @ Morwell recreational reserve

Remove this Banner Ad

is that where Skully got reported ???

Yeah it is. Looked like he pulled out and got him on the shoulder rather than crushing him high. Feels like no more than a free kick, but who knows...there was a few cameras around so interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Went to the game. Most has been said already, not much to add.

Thought Frawley wasn't that bad at all, took a few good grabs and wasn't beaten. One blue early on but otherwise good.

Frost has a good set of hands also. No major errors.

Greaves (with Morrison) had first shot at a back flank, was composed but not as prominent as last week.

Reeves rucked really well. Don't know what he was up against but he was good in the ruck. Got hands to the ball first in the packs due to his height but nothing sticks. Did pick the ball up off the ground a couple of times and dished it off nicely.

Scully got reported for crashing into a bloke who was over the ball. Looked very clumsy but the player jumped straight up and was completely unaffected.

Hendo was good for his first half he played. Shiels also played just the first half, as did Stratton and Patton.

Nash was poor early but got better. Took a pack mark (!) on the back flank in the second qtr, switched the play and we got a fast break into the forward line as a result, and Nash was there to lay a solid tackle in the fwd pocket, literally seconds after taking the big mark. Also hit up Lewis with a cracking pass at full speed. His skills are improving.

Hartley's kicking is a weapon. Don't know if there's a spot for him but he doesn't look out of place. Defended well.

I thought CJ was our best in the first half. Was used more sparingly in the 2nd half, but did some brilliant stuff. His defence of the high ball is excellent - he no longer over commits and his evasion is spectacular. Great rebound. He looks best 22 at present, don't know who he edges out though.

Jones was really good in the guts, took the game on. Pretty good 4 qtr player today.

Cousins (like Hanrahan and Glass) is a younger player we'd be looking to improve us. He can find the ball well enough (unlike Hanrahan today) but some of his kicks are really poor still. Takes the wrong option going forward and turns it over too often in midfield. Ollie had a better 2nd half but would want to impact more.

Worpel probably lead our tackle count, but he doesn't seem to be finding the ball much. Certainly didn't get any easy possessions around the ground, did everything under pressure and as a result couldn't impact the game as he'd want I reckon.

Of the brigade that only played the 2nd half, Maginness stood out. Found it and fed it out to advantage. Already a strong player. Also Pepper was a surprise - had a great last qtr and looked right at home at the level. Day was just like he was in the intraclub, smooth and composed with the ball, but not prolific by any means.

Jeka also, competed really well and won some contests. Dropped 2 pretty straight forward chest marks on the lead, so could have had a couple more shots. He's kind of like a skinny Patton. Definitely something to work with.

Don't know how good Hawthorn will be this year. But if everyone stays fit... Box Hill will be awesome!

It’s going to be interesting to see what team we run out with next week. Sounds like clarko should have seen a lot from these matches. Does he keep testing and risking, or take out a full strength team to get the guys used to playing together?

It’s going to be interesting to see what team we run out with next week. Sounds like clarko should have seen a lot from these matches. Does he keep testing and risking, or take out a full strength team to get the guys used to playing together?

I think Clarko should continue to mix up the team and game plan. Let our best team run out round one. Go Hawks

Went to the game. Most has been said already, not much to add.

Thought Frawley wasn't that bad at all, took a few good grabs and wasn't beaten. One blue early on but otherwise good.

Frost has a good set of hands also. No major errors.

Greaves (with Morrison) had first shot at a back flank, was composed but not as prominent as last week.

Reeves rucked really well. Don't know what he was up against but he was good in the ruck. Got hands to the ball first in the packs due to his height but nothing sticks. Did pick the ball up off the ground a couple of times and dished it off nicely.

Scully got reported for crashing into a bloke who was over the ball. Looked very clumsy but the player jumped straight up and was completely unaffected.

Hendo was good for his first half he played. Shiels also played just the first half, as did Stratton and Patton.

Nash was poor early but got better. Took a pack mark (!) on the back flank in the second qtr, switched the play and we got a fast break into the forward line as a result, and Nash was there to lay a solid tackle in the fwd pocket, literally seconds after taking the big mark. Also hit up Lewis with a cracking pass at full speed. His skills are improving.

Hartley's kicking is a weapon. Don't know if there's a spot for him but he doesn't look out of place. Defended well.

I thought CJ was our best in the first half. Was used more sparingly in the 2nd half, but did some brilliant stuff. His defence of the high ball is excellent - he no longer over commits and his evasion is spectacular. Great rebound. He looks best 22 at present, don't know who he edges out though.

Jones was really good in the guts, took the game on. Pretty good 4 qtr player today.

Cousins (like Hanrahan and Glass) is a younger player we'd be looking to improve us. He can find the ball well enough (unlike Hanrahan today) but some of his kicks are really poor still. Takes the wrong option going forward and turns it over too often in midfield. Ollie had a better 2nd half but would want to impact more.

Worpel probably lead our tackle count, but he doesn't seem to be finding the ball much. Certainly didn't get any easy possessions around the ground, did everything under pressure and as a result couldn't impact the game as he'd want I reckon.

Of the brigade that only played the 2nd half, Maginness stood out. Found it and fed it out to advantage. Already a strong player. Also Pepper was a surprise - had a great last qtr and looked right at home at the level. Day was just like he was in the intraclub, smooth and composed with the ball, but not prolific by any means.

Jeka also, competed really well and won some contests. Dropped 2 pretty straight forward chest marks on the lead, so could have had a couple more shots. He's kind of like a skinny Patton. Definitely something to work with.

Don't know how good Hawthorn will be this year. But if everyone stays fit... Box Hill will be awesome!
The Worpel situation will change once the BEST team walks out round one and plays most of the game. Worpel will be surrounded by Mitchell, O’Meara, Shiels, Wingard, Smith and Scully for most of the game.

Will be interesting when Impey comes back later in the year. CJ, Sicily, Scrimshaw and Impey all intercepting on that HB line? Not likely

Impey on a wing would tear opposition a new one.
Not sure the club would stress load his knee like that, but I'd love to see him receive it and tuck and run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey on a wing would tear opposition a new one.
Not sure the club would stress load his knee like that, but I'd love to see him receive it and tuck and run.
Yeah Impey on the wing makes sense. I liked Impey as a play maker. Suits him so well so I don’t want to see him go forward. Wonder about CJ one day going forward and even Sicily/Scrimmerz in the midfield. Anyway - good problem to have long term

I know when it rains it pours.

Heard his name called in the last quarter, so I guess he was okay. Admittedly it could have been Greaves.

I like the effort he brings. Watching him at VFL level he appears quick, agile, but I haven't seen that nimbleness at the higher level. He is an odd mix of a player - tenacious around stoppages but doesn't win many clearances or possessions. Tackles well, is really handy around goal but seems to struggle executing the kick inside 50.

I really believe that his kicking issues are a lack of technical skill, rather than decision-making. Twice against GWS late last year he had the time and space to kick inside 50 to a one-on-one contest, didn't manage to kick to his teammate's advantage on either occasion. BUT I hold a lot of hope that his kicking will improve, hard work is all that's required. He's a really gutsy player, I think he could carve out a role for himself in the forward half.
Cousins wins plenty of the ball is a natural ball winner.

Cousins wins plenty of the ball is a natural ball winner.

Cuz would be the one I'd give free reign to just read it and hunt the ball when on the ground. Don't start defensive side of your man, just tear in and go find it.
Harder than a cats skull, but if made to play accountable footy takes away his strengths and plays in to his weaknesses.

Don't know if Clarko will change and release a player every stoppage to just hunt it, but I'd love to see our Ruck/mids given a chance to be offensively minded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back