Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's one of the most desperate thing the Suns have ever done.

Burgoyne already has a role at AFL house whenever he finishes up, and there's no need for him to move to a rabble.

Most desperate, or most sensible?

Lions were a rabble. Kept losing talented kids. Lacked leadership etc. Close parallel to GC though with more history and support. Essentially the same approach seemed to work ok for them in helping to turn their club around.

Lions were a rabble. Kept losing talented kids. Lacked leadership etc. Close parallel to GC though with more history and support. Essentially the same approach seemed to work ok for them in helping to turn their club around.

If Brett Ratten ends up being the Saints new coach beyond this year, then I wouldn't rule out Burgoyne going there.

Desperate. By your own admission they'd be trying to get a 36 yr old to plug holes in leadership, go home factor and culture.

the Suns are a world away from where the Lions were when Hodge joined.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Desperate. By your own admission they'd be trying to get a 36 yr old to plug holes in leadership, go home factor and culture.

the Suns are a world away from where the Lions were when Hodge joined.

Just because it's desperate, doesn't mean it's not smart.

I love Burger and everything he's done at the Hawks, can absolutely see why he would be attractive to the Suns.

Lewis is tracking extremely well for an 11 game key forward.

Tom Lynch hasn’t had a great year, and I’m not saying Lewis is better or will be, but he’s performing to a very good standard when you look at the below numbers.

495B1788-560A-4C1F-8085-BD48622AB94B.png

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Brett Ratten ends up being the Saints new coach beyond this year, then I wouldn't rule out Burgoyne going there.

While yes we do need some talent it is not the backline that needs addressing, Burgoyne is not a good fit for us as we have ample talent for the backline both young and old. That is if our endless injury run can come to an end. Youngest 22 in the competition last round apart from GC.

We are even playing our spuds there ;)

I mean ya’ll drafted Clark, Coffield and Battle. Talk about butchering the 2016 draft.

Meanwhile the Hawks first pick in that draft was Worpel who’s already better than those three spuds combined.

Spud Marshall now going ok in the ruck, so just need some new spuds for the midfield.

Might just have to appoint "Spud" Frawley as to the vacant Coaching job too ;)

Expect that there’s some list changes that have been ticked off, now a few of these will follow.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geez there is some good reading in here... 🤦🏼‍♂️

If the Hawks didn’t blow a couple of leads early in the year & we got a win over WC we would be sitting in the top 4.

I’m more an optimist that a realist on the Hawks list & see plenty to be excited about with the Hawks ‘no youth’ list.

#pattonisthetarget fixes our forward line structure. He is a beast at his best! If we can get him right we have the power forward we’ve been screaming for the last 3 seasons.

Some pace on the outside would be perfect for us. Que the Hill & Whitfield rumours..

Our defence is fine but would be handy to nab someone like Day in FA

Cogs would be great but more a luxury. Look for the Hawks to add another piece to the mix that isn’t Hugh Greenwood.

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Loken & Rad Roo you both spoke way to early, clearly the Hawks supporters with a brain (even general opposition supporters that aren't biased) could see we weren't just gonna keep skiing down the hill this season... with the list that we do have. people that keep tabs on young guys at Box Hill will have more clue of how our list really looks. I know that inside the 4 walls of the club they're definitely no where near as negative as your biased opinion shown earlier in this thread, that's why our last three weeks have been very good, we back our list & our staff in... just a few more tweaks to our list & we will definitely be contending.

Last edited:

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think hawthorn have been contending long enough and i'd like to see some other teams rise but I don't hate them or anything.

I am a little concerned that hawks fans have forgotten how to manage following a team on a negative trajectory.

you think? what do you think AFL players play for... to contend for Premierships. give me a break with your jealousy.

Negative trajectory, where have you been the last few weeks?

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would think Adelaide would pass them next season. (they will for sure if Burgoyne retires)
There is average age of list and youngest age of the 22.

Last round the 22's were Crows and Hawks both 26 yrs 9 months and Cats 26 ys 8 months. So all will be contenders for the oldest 22 next season.

Burgoyne probably to stay at the Hawks unless GC can tempt him with a massive playing/coaching package. Roughie not in the 22 and so his age will not effect it.

Saints were the second youngest at 24 years 3 months. 8 months younger than the Dogs 22. GC fielded the youngest team and so probably one reason why it has been suggested that they chase some old talent.

Poska

All Australian
Jul 10, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Lewis is tracking extremely well for an 11 game key forward.

Tom Lynch hasn’t had a great year, and I’m not saying Lewis is better or will be, but he’s performing to a very good standard when you look at the below numbers.

View attachment 713328
Mabior Chol vs Mitch Lewis is probably a more appropriate comparison. Not much between them in almost every key statistic:

F6635B00-6DD7-4010-AAFE-5B0600256968.jpeg

5E4A4150-3D5C-46EC-8735-CF3C4AFD98F6.jpeg

Chol spends more time in the ruck and Lewis spends more time up forward/more on the ground in general, so the data is relatively favoured towards those positions. Interesting comparison though. I couldn’t split them on paper. Both tracking nicely.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
There is average age of list and youngest age of the 22.

Last round the 22's were Crows and Hawks both 26 yrs 9 months and Cats 26 ys 8 months. So all will be contenders for the oldest 22 next season.

Burgoyne probably to stay at the Hawks unless GC can tempt him with a massive playing/coaching package. Roughie not in the 22 and so his age will not effect it.

Saints were the second youngest at 24 years 3 months. 8 months younger than the Dogs 22. GC fielded the youngest team and so probably one reason why it has been suggested that they chase some old talent.

To be fair you said they would have the oldest list. Not the oldest best 22.

Back