Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No club should pony up a 1st for a 29-year-old.
I disagree i think for a club like Brisbane it would absolutely be worth it. If not, that would be fine too but there no point for Hawthorn to trade him for less.

I disagree i think for a club like Brisbane it would absolutely be worth it. If not, that would be fine too but there no point for Hawthorn to trade him for less.
I kind of agree , nobody is obligated to do trade if they can't agree on mutual deal from both side .

I kind of agree , nobody is obligated to do trade if they can't agree on mutual deal from both side .
For Hawthorn a mid 2nd round pick this year would probably be traded down for points anyway to cover an academy bid

Should Hawks have taken GWS offer on Breust?

Hate to be Captian Hignsigt,but the 'top-up' Vickery, Mitchell, Patton, O'Meara, Scully etc may have set them back 10 years.

Maybe 20 years.

What did you think of the Tigers after the Swans beat them by 100 points in R23 2016? What about the Dogs in 2014 when the Captain got the Coach sacked then promptly left for GWS?

It doesnt matter what Hawthorn wanted. GWS approached a number of our players. As did GCS. None wanted to go.

Gunston and Breust are the sort of forwards Brisbane need imo. I'd have first rounders on the table. Not sure if Hawthorn would be in a position to trade out guns like that though.

Disagree. Brisbane have a talented small forward in Cameron and a talented tall but not really key forward in Hipwood. Breust or Gunston would slot in easily, but they don't cover glaring weaknesses. Better off with someone like Ben Brown who can be a genuine #1 target so Cameron can just play as a small, Hipwood gets a lesser defender etc.

Breust and Gunston are too good and not old enough to give away cheaply, but not young enough to have high trade value. Particularly in this draft which is a bit of an unknown and full of NGA bids.

Hawks have put themselves into a corner.

They need to go free agency and trading again.

It’s too far down the road to turn around and just draft kids.

With list sizes reducing, their will be bargains. A lot of delisted free agents and cherry pick the players that can fill a role.

Keep pick 4 and get a gun midfielder. Get Downe as NGA.

Disagree. Brisbane have a talented small forward in Cameron and a talented tall but not really key forward in Hipwood. Breust or Gunston would slot in easily, but they don't cover glaring weaknesses. Better off with someone like Ben Brown who can be a genuine #1 target so Cameron can just play as a small, Hipwood gets a lesser defender etc.
They are both generally accurate kicks for goals (although not as good as they once were) which is a glaring weakness at Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston and Breust are the sort of forwards Brisbane need imo. I'd have first rounders on the table. Not sure if Hawthorn would be in a position to trade out guns like that though.

Gunston would be icing on the cake for a team like Brisbane. Pick 17 would easily get it done. Not sure Hawthorn will trade him though.

Breust and Gunston are too good and not old enough to give away cheaply, but not young enough to have high trade value. Particularly in this draft which is a bit of an unknown and full of NGA bids.
Nah smart forwards who can lead at the ball, crumb and finish reliably, they are what we need. Hipwood isn't that. I'd give up good picks for Gunston and/or Breust. Not sure Brown is the type of key forward we need imo, a gorilla in the goal square type would be better.

Brisbane should do 18 and 19 for one of them, yes that's over( even in the heavily compromised draft) but could easily be the last piece of the puzzle Brisbane need.

Luke Partington 23 years old
13 games, 10 goals, 25.6 disp, 4 tackles, 3.6 marks, 4.9 clearances, 4.7 i50, 1.8 r50

I think Partington is one of those guys who will dominate at state league level but not make the step up to AFL level. Pretty small by AFL standards and doesn't have a lot of tricks. Best case he might be another Chris Masten who was serviceable but no star.

2020 not a good year for a guy like him with list sizes decreasing. If the Hawks picked him up (I assume that's why he popped up in this thread) he might play a few games next year but he wouldn't be a huge upgrade on a bunch of player they already have. But good luck to him if he gets a second chance.

Brisbane should do 18 and 19 for one of them, yes that's over( even in the heavily compromised draft) but could easily be the last piece of the puzzle Brisbane need.

Would rather Brock Smith and Ely Smith PLUS Brisbane 2020 First Round Selection in exchange for either of them if a trade was to eventuate.

Better still I'd rather it if both players were to stay and we pick their players up for our North Melbourne 2020 Second Round Selection instead.

Gunston would be icing on the cake for a team like Brisbane. Pick 17 would easily get it done. Not sure Hawthorn will trade him though.

Wouldn't be quite enough sorry mate.

We'd be better off sticking with Gunston in this scenario.

You do realise that Gunston came third in the Coleman (would have been even second but dished his 400th career goal off to Stratton) in a side that not only finished in the bottom four but also a side that was sending inadequate supply into it's forward line.

Both Breast and Gunston are elite in their position and while they are getting on in age, they're by no means over the hill and most definitely still in their prime.

Any teams in contention (such as Brisbane, Collingwood and St Kilda) would be crazy not to go hard for either of or both these players.

Even teams on the cusp of playing finals (Carlton for example) could greatly benefit by obtaining the services of players of their caliber.

I'd definitely prefer them both to stay (unless it was massive overs for both club and player) and I'm sure the majority of other Hawthorn supporters feel the same way.

Last edited:
You do realise that Gunston came third in the Coleman (would have been even second but dishes his 400th career goal off to Stratton) in a side that not only finished in the bottom four but also a side that was sending inadequate supply into it's forward line.

Both Breast and Gunston are elite in their position and while they are getting on on age, their by no means over the hill and most definitely still in their prime.

Any teams in contention (such as Brisbane, Collingwood and St Kilda) would be crazy not to go hard for either of or both these players.

Even teams on the cusp of playing finals (Carlton for example) could greatly benefit by obtaining the services of players of their caliber.

I'd definitely prefer them both to stay (unless it was massive overs for both club and player) and I'm sure the majority of other Hawthorn supporters feel the same way.
I think maybe Breust should go but we have to keep Gunston unless we get 2 late first rounders or 1 mid to high pick.

Same situation as North last year. it's time to be realistic about ur chances of contending.

Just like Goldstein/Higgins/Brown in 2019, Breust/Gunston also on the market. Just think about what the North trio would've been worth last year (probably 3-4 1st rounders as a combination) compared to what they are this year...

Breust/Gunston won't be around for your next premiership run, holding them will only hamper your rebuild with 2 less 1st round picks. And Hawthorn is also in an even worse shape for finals than North last year, who was at least a middle of the pack team which Hawks is not...

Hawks need picks or future picks, going to take them 3 years to get the pieces in place and they are currently have fair few that wont make it at AFL level....

Same situation as North last year. it's time to be realistic about ur chances of contending.

Just like Goldstein/Higgins/Brown in 2019, Breust/Gunston also on the market. Just think about what the North trio would've been worth last year (probably 3-4 1st rounders as a combination) compared to what they are this year...

Breust/Gunston won't be around for your next premiership run, holding them will only hamper your rebuild with 2 less 1st round picks. And Hawthorn is also in an even worse shape for finals than North last year, who was at least a middle of the pack team which Hawks is not...

Can totally see where you're coming from and even agree to an extent.

What I'm not comfortable with is people taking the piss and acting like the HFC is obligated to hold a fire sale of it's players.

People need to be fair and realistic (not necessarily yourself) about it and if clubs are indeed chasing these players, then obviously they're chasing them for a reason and need to compensate accordingly.

Back