Preview Hawthorne vs Essendon, MCG, Saturday 04/08/18 @ 1.45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1984 was the one that got away from them, they really should have had it won by HT, of course it could be argued that if Essendon had kicked straight then it could have been an easier Essendon win.

I'll admit i haven't watched the 84 grand final for a long time. But I remember it as we were smashed them in all areas after quarter time, then in the last quarter the dominance turned into goals. Hawks just took every opportunity they had going forward early.

Yet he was the only prick to do so. Other players showed sympathy. Not the same as whacking a guy in a game either.

It was a low act to fellow players who had been let down by own club. It could have happened to any of them.
Man Lloyd absolutely smashed a guy with his head over the ball and was lauded as the guy who stood up and changed the game for you.

Hey if say Sicily did it to one of you guys we would love it too. But that's my point. It's all about which side of the fence you are on.

With respect to Mitchell before writing him off as a coach remember Clarko's incident and how he turned out as a coach. GOAT by far, regardless of ambiguous stats from the past.

I was more peeved off with the Essendon players lack of response, they should have sat him firmly on his arse for that.

Let's not sugar coat it by using words like peeved. We've been a bunch of soft utensils since lloydy flattened Sewell. Hopefully we've turned a corner. We showed last week we can be tough, tomorrow is another opportunity to show it.

I'll admit i haven't watched the 84 grand final for a long time. But I remember it as we were smashed them in all areas after quarter time, then in the last quarter the dominance turned into goals. Hawks just took every opportunity they had going forward early.
I've never rewatched it.

Do you think any fan ever has rewatched a losing Grand Final? I don't think I ever could. I was at the 2012 GF and I have never watched the game, despite how good it was. I just can't. That feeling on the day was awful. It actually was relieved only when Buddy announced he was going to the Swans, because I was so annoyed with him missing everything in that game when it mattered.

Man Lloyd absolutely smashed a guy with his head over the ball and was lauded as the guy who stood up and changed the game for you.

Hey if say Sicily did it to one of you guys we would love it too. But that's my point. It's all about which side of the fence you are on.

With respect to Mitchell before writing him off as a coach remember Clarko's incident and how he turned out as a coach. GOAT by far, regardless of ambiguous stats from the past.

Yeah but I don’t think Clarko was as self centred prick who counted his own stats/votes etc. Don’t think Clarko would have screwed Eagles like Mitchell just has as well.

Gees if we’re taking dirty hits..Derm on Vanda, Dipper on Stoneham, Robertson on our Timmy.....that..that...bastard!

Yeah but I don’t think Clarko was as self centred prick who counted his own stats/votes etc. Don’t think Clarko would have screwed Eagles like Mitchell just has as well.
Clarko was as hated as just about any player. Mitchell isn't even disliked, other than Bomber fans (and I get it like I said - your side of the fence).

With regards to him screwing the Eagles, why do you think that? He has a really close relationship with his parents and wanted to come home. He asked Simmo and he gave him his blessing.

Again I am not just going to bat for him because I am a Hawk, I can tell you he is a really nice guy.

Gees if we’re taking dirty hits..Derm on Vanda, Dipper on Stoneham, Robertson on our Timmy.....that..that...bastard!
I'm not complaining.

I'm just saying it's an interesting duality.

What we love as a fan of our club, is hated by the other club.

Gibbo is an example that comes to mind. He was my favourite player for quite some time, when we were at the peak of our powers. He was really under-rated.

North fans absolutely hated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot believe we are favourites for this game considering it is at the MCG.

A lot of people overrating us & underrating our opponents (and their coach!) ...

We will be tested in this game in ways we haven’t experienced for quite a while!

A lot of people overrating us & underrating our opponents (and their coach!) ...

We will be tested in this game in ways we haven’t experienced for quite a while!
Not hard to see why. We're in better form than Hawthorn. Therefore, we're favourites. Same reason why we were favourites last week.

Doesn't mean we'll win

3 of the those 5 losses at the G were when we were absolutely putrid. Hawthorn are s**t flat trackers. We'll have this won by 3/4 time

You guys are ******* triggered.

He’s just said the saga annoyed him.

Did you guys enjoy it? **** me dead.
It’s not just about that, don’t be so naive.

Spare me. "Ignore stats Clarko is GOAT."

You sound like a Richmond fan talking about Rance.

Hawks supporters still rankled by the resilience of the Essendon Football Club.
Despite all their recent success EFC still hurts them to the core.
You could almost say they still feel honoured to be given another opportunity to beat Essendon and move that little bit closer to being a powerhouse club.
Yes they have plenty of members, but very poor attendances. It’s another indication the Hawks have a soft underbelly.
They’ll front up again today desperate to prove they are deserved rivals, can’t see them getting close but at least they can go back to Glenferrie and reflect on another encounter with the leviathan of the AFL.

I've never rewatched it.

Do you think any fan ever has rewatched a losing Grand Final? I don't think I ever could. I was at the 2012 GF and I have never watched the game, despite how good it was. I just can't. That feeling on the day was awful. It actually was relieved only when Buddy announced he was going to the Swans, because I was so annoyed with him missing everything in that game when it mattered.

I don't really do replays at all of any sport. I havent watched replays of 93 or 2000. I prefer Netflix if I want to watch things that have already been written. Just watched 84 a few times when I was younger because it was on tape in the cupboard. Though I did find a dvd of the 1965 gf once and thought I'd put it on to see what footy was like back then, lasted about 15 minutes into the first quarter. Absolute garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back