News Hawthorn's 2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

So far I've booked flights for Adelaide Round 1 and Port Adelaide in Tasmania Round 10.

Funny because I live in Adelaide, so going to that game, and the only trip I have booked so far is Port in Tassie too :D

Yeah I’ve booked these two + Perth for the last round to check out Optus oval. Think I’ll go Brissie also for the sun.
Keeeeen.

I'm also keen for Perth in round 23 for the same reason. The bride and I will likely make a week of it as she's never been to Perth :)

Last edited:
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I am really pissed off!

**** Sunday football! I find it often a miserable experience, without much feeling.

I have 6 months to come to terms with this. But, damn it, it sucks.
I echo this.

One thing I like about this draw and I'm only looking for a positive is the the same weekend that Hawks play Giants in Canberra the Raider's (my NRL team and others on here) play the Chooks at gio stadium.
Four day weekend holding hands with the darl, at least that's what I'm telling her.

One thing I like about this draw and I'm only looking for a positive is the the same weekend that Hawks play Giants in Canberra the Raider's (my NRL team and others on here) play the Chooks at gio stadium.
Four day weekend holding hands with the darl, at least that's what I'm telling her.
You want to spend 4 days in Canberra at that time of the year? You will freeze your nuts off.

I hadn't even seen if those games married up - thanks for saving me a google. Will likely upgrade my thinking about going to this game to definitely going to this game. Already have accommodation booked for the Raiders game in Wagga this year.

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I am really pissed off!

**** Sunday football! I find it often a miserable experience, without much feeling.

I have 6 months to come to terms with this. But, damn it, it sucks.

It's funny - I always see people whinging about Sunday games and think to myself 'so?'. I forget it's not a traditional footy day - having grown up in the league states I grew up around the game of the round always being a Sunday game with a 3PM kickoff. That said, much prefer a Saturday early afternoon or evening game.

It's funny - I always see people whinging about Sunday games and think to myself 'so?'. I forget it's not a traditional footy day - having grown up in the league states I grew up around the game of the round always being a Sunday game with a 3PM kickoff. That said, much prefer a Saturday early afternoon or evening game.
For me I just prefer the atmosphere of a night game. Always such a good build up to a Friday night blockbuster game. The buzz at the ground or all the focus on TV in the lead up to it. Saturday night also for similar reasons. Both can be enjoyed with a few bevs without concern for work the next day, and the celebrations can either roll on into the night, or you can enjoy reliving it with replays and online discussion. And if it's a loss at least you've got the rest of the weekend to distract yourself from it.

Where as a Sunday games almost feel like an after thought. A lot of the pre-game media discussion might not even be focused on the game with incidents from the other games in the better time slots taking up that space. The crowds tend to be smaller so there's not much atmosphere. Win, lose or draw there's not anywhere near the same amount of time to enjoy a win or distract yourself from a loss before concerning yourself with preparing to go to work the next day.

I do appreciate the fact I get to attend games though, and a win is a win whether it happens on a Friday night or Sunday twilight. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
MCG home games

W Bulldogs Round 2 on a Sunday
North Melbourne Round 3 on a Sunday
Geelong Round 5 on Easter Monday
GWS Round 8 on a Sunday
West Coast Round 15 on a Saturday
Collingwood Round 16 on a Friday

Gold Coast at Marvel on a Sunday

Plus Essendon at Marvel and no MCG games for the last 5 games of the season

Pretty s**t draw to be fair

We will make the top 4 again in 2019. Lock it in. We killed the trade period and that will see us get some wins in september.

Go hawkers

We will make the top 4 again in 2019. Lock it in. We killed the trade period and that will see us get some wins in september.

Go hawkers
Yes, while that may be true, you haven't accounted for the fact that we'll be missing Rioli, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson, Hill, Lake, Hale, Guerra, Sewell, Buddy, Dew, Croad, Crawford, Dunstall, Brereton, Langford, Tuck, Platten, Knights, Mew, Ayres, Dipper, Arthur, Scott, Hudson and Matthews.

I just can't see how we won't drop off from here with all that talent no longer on the list :think: A few decades of pain ahead of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the afternoon games. There is time for a leisurely lunch with family or friends before heading to the game and then getting home at a reasonable time instead of around midnight.
Those Sunday games are usually on free to air, so good exposure for the club.

MCG home games

W Bulldogs Round 2 on a Sunday
North Melbourne Round 3 on a Sunday
Geelong Round 5 on Easter Monday
GWS Round 8 on a Sunday
West Coast Round 15 on a Saturday
Collingwood Round 16 on a Friday

Gold Coast at Marvel on a Sunday

Plus Essendon at Marvel and no MCG games for the last 5 games of the season

Pretty s**t draw to be fair
They will make good money from the Cats Pies and Drugcheats and lose money on the rest

If anyone still doesn't believe this is a commercially damaging fixture for the club check out what they came up with for the reserve seat blockbusters package from AFL membership
Screenshot_20181129-124335.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back