Hawthorn's best ever forward line

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cyril - Rough - Puopolo/Hale
Gunston - Buddy - Bruest

This has serious claims to be Hawthorn's greatest ever forward line and it was actually pretty stable for a couple of years until Buddy left.

80's forward lines with Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara, Hall, Jarman yada yada were amazing but I don't think there was ever one where everyone was at their absolute peak for a sustained period like the one above was for a couple of years (I won't mention the war(s) :oops:)

I checked the same thread on the sydney board.

Not one of them could nominate a time when they'd ever had a great Forwardline.

Just a whole bunch of inside mids playing ugly football...

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Cyril - Rough - Puopolo/Hale
Gunston - Buddy - Bruest

This has serious claims to be Hawthorn's greatest ever forward line and it was actually pretty stable for a couple of years until Buddy left.

80's forward lines with Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara, Hall, Jarman yada yada were amazing but I don't think there was ever one where everyone was at their absolute peak for a sustained period like the one above was for a couple of years (I won't mention the war(s) :oops:)

Ridiculously good !!

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If our 2013 forward line is all at their individual peaks that is easily our best forward line.
I always thought the forward line functioned better in bud's absence. That 6 week stretch of games in 2012 when he was 'injured' saw us kick cricket scores every week and completely destroy the pies (12-3) and bombers (11-5) in consecutive weeks playing utterly ruthless footy. Those aforementioned games are up there with my favourite h&a hawk wins.

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Franklin Brereton Buckenara

Rioli Dunstall Gunston

Hendrie Roughead Hall

Jarman Hudson Bruest

Burgoyne Peck Williams

Matthews Moncrieff Keddie

There's 3 a fusion between era's all almost as good as each other

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
2013 forward-line was so ridiculously good, that the coach was playing all of them all over the ground and we were still scoring for fun, we do that now and the forward-line has started hurting. I legitimately think Buddy kicked half of his goals as a winger. 2008 was a pretty damn good forward-line, but when you consider options like Burgoyne > Dew, Suckling/Smith > Young, Poppy > Brown, Gunston/Breust > Willo it's almost unfair.

Franklin 113 (4.6)
Roughead 75 (3)
Williams 46 (2.2)
I'll see your 2008 and raise you 1977
Hudson 110
Matthews 91
Hendrie 54

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I'm a child of the 70s and 80s, so I have great attachment to those sides. But damn, the recent model is bloody well just as good. Especially in an era that is harder for forwards. Don't make me choose!

Does anyone know how many goals Gunners has kicked in finals? One of the best latter day big game performers.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Hate these threads that compare different eras, but some food for thought:

Hard to go past 1987 - scored more than 100 points in 16 games and won 7 games by 10+ goals. Unfortunately lost the granie to the baggers.

Back