Hawthorn's best ever forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a child of the 70s and 80s, so I have great attachment to those sides. But damn, the recent model is bloody well just as good. Especially in an era that is harder for forwards. Don't make me choose!

Does anyone know how many goals Gunners has kicked in finals? One of the best latter day big game performers.
He's kicked 32 goals from 13 games in finals.

Gunston has kicked 32.16 in 13 finals for Hawthorn. He managed four goals in the 2013 preliminary final against Geelong (4.2) and kicked four goals in the 2013 grand final against Fremantle (4.1). He also kicked four goals in the 2015 grand final against the Eagles (4.2).

Gunston leads all current players with goals in grand finals, with 12 goals (from four grand finals), ahead of former teammate Lance Franklin (11 goals from five grand finals) and current captain Jarryd Roughead (10 goals from five grand finals).

Gunston sits just outside the top 15 of all time. Gordon Coventry kicked 35 goals in 10 grand finals for Collingwood, ahead of Dermott Brereton (25 goals in eight grand finals) and Jason Dunstall (23 goals in five grand finals). Leigh Matthews kicked 17 goals in seven grand finals.

Hate these threads that compare different eras, but some food for thought:

Hard to go past 1987 - scored more than 100 points in 16 games and won 7 games by 10+ goals. Unfortunately lost the granie to the baggers.

Only because Dunstall was injured and Brereton was 20% fit.

The 91 GF forwardline was quite impressive!

HF: Hudson - Brereton - Hall
FF : Jarman - Dunstall - Dear

Add in the delivery of Platts, Pritchard ect
That was a hard forward line to stop. As they marked everything and were quite accurate in front. With the exception of Hudson played as a team.

2013 GF forward line going from memory

HF: Gunston - Buddy - Cyril
FF: Breust - Roughy - Pops

Add in the delivery of Mitchell, Lewis and co
Not as strong in marking or accuracy especially Buddy.
How ever make up for it in pressure and tackling and creating opposition mistakes.
Breust, Pops and Cyril are the best forward line crumbers the game has ever seen imo.

As much as I loved the 91 forwards, 2013 with the forward pressure just pips it.

Can't go past the team of the late 80's - highly-skilled 18 "ruck-rovers" who could play anywhere and included Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara, Kennedy, Dipper, Curran with others such as Morrissey, Abbott and others popping up and kicking the odd bag.

The best bar none.

Hally the better hands, Gunners the better kick. Tough one but Gunners edges out Hall for mine.
Gunston's performances in finals does it for me

32 goals from 13 finals, he goes above his career average when the big games start

Gunston's performances in finals does it for me

32 goals from 13 finals, he goes above his career average when the big games start
It does help that Andrew Collins didn't slam Gunston into the turf and destroy his leg as well...

It does help that Andrew Collins didn't slam Gunston into the turf and destroy his leg as well...
this is true
I just look at Gunston's finals record and I see the kind of guy you want on your team come September

Hasn't failed to kick a goal in any final he has played in, kicked multiple goals in 11 out of 13 finals and one of those single goal games he was the west coast game which he got injured in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brings me back to an argument I was having with some fellow Hawthorn supporters. Jack Gunston or Tony Hall? who would you Choose?

Hawks fans will be amazed to learn that we never saw the best of Tony Hall at Hawthorn. Even when he arrived in 1988, he had already suffered a debilitating knee injury in the SANFL the year before and played very little football that year. To know Tony Hall, you needed to watch the 1986 SANFL GF. Injury free, mobile as all hell, playing CHF, marking everything, kicking goals from everywhere, he was a great player.

After that injury in 1987, he had diminished leg speed which hampered his natural game, and yet he still became a great Hawthorn premiership player. Terrible luck in the 1989 state game at the MCG saw him diminished once again. I don't like to compare him with Gunston even though they are similar styles of player. If only we'd seen an injury free Tony Hall at Hawthorn, what a pleasure that would have been.

If only we'd seen an injury free Tony Hall at Hawthorn, what a pleasure that would have been.
this

so many players have had their careers diminished by injuries, shits me no end when people hope someone gets hurt or laugh about it

Hawks fans will be amazed to learn that we never saw the best of Tony Hall at Hawthorn. Even when he arrived in 1988, he had already suffered a debilitating knee injury in the SANFL the year before and played very little football that year. To know Tony Hall, you needed to watch the 1986 SANFL GF. Injury free, mobile as all hell, playing CHF, marking everything, kicking goals from everywhere, he was a great player.

After that injury in 1987, he had diminished leg speed which hampered his natural game, and yet he still became a great Hawthorn premiership player. Terrible luck in the 1989 state game at the MCG saw him diminished once again. I don't like to compare him with Gunston even though they are similar styles of player. If only we'd seen an injury free Tony Hall at Hawthorn, what a pleasure that would have been.
Thanks AH yes its fair to say that I never watched his games in SA.

However the question still stands in a Hawthorn jumper Hall or Gunston? Its an argument I have would just like to hear others on their views

However the question still stands in a Hawthorn jumper Hall or Gunston? Its an argument I have would just like to hear others on their views
Saw a lot of Tony Hall and have seen all of Gunston, splitting hairs IMO.

If I was forced to pick one I would go Gunners because he can play down back/wing.

Saw a lot of Tony Hall and have seen all of Gunston, splitting hairs IMO.

If I was forced to pick one I would go Gunners because he can play down back/wing.
Yes his versatility is what tilts him in my favour as well

If you'd asked me to pick the better player, based on what I've seen, I'd opt for Tony Hall. If the question is based on what they achieved in a Hawks jumper, then obviously Gunston.

Brings me back to an argument I was having with some fellow Hawthorn supporters. Jack Gunston or Tony Hall? who would you Choose?

Gunston. I have mate from SA that saw Hally before his first knee and said he could have been anything.

Cyril Dunstall Bruest
Franklin Brereton Gunston

Jarman as a 91 style centre man delivering it to those forwards and Roughy as a utility. that'll do me i reckon.

Getting away from the topic i know and probably missing someone obvious but this would be a very watchable side from of the players i've seen a bit of. i saw less of the 80's players of course:

Cyril Dunstall Bruest
Franklin Brereton Gunston
Crawford Jarman Smith
Hodge Mew Gibson
Collins Langford Ayres
R: Everitt Mitchell Platten
Int: Lewis Roughead Dipper Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back