Hawthorn's best ever forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting away from the topic i know and probably missing someone obvious but this would be a very watchable side from of the players i've seen a bit of. i saw less of the 80's players of course:

Cyril Dunstall Bruest
Franklin Brereton Gunston
Crawford Jarman Smith
Hodge Mew Gibson
Collins Langford Ayres
R: Everitt Mitchell Platten
Int: Lewis Roughead Dipper Burgoyne

Everitt? really????

Love your user name.

Cyril - Rough - Puopolo/Hale
Gunston - Buddy - Bruest

This has serious claims to be Hawthorn's greatest ever forward line and it was actually pretty stable for a couple of years until Buddy left.

80's forward lines with Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara, Hall, Jarman yada yada were amazing but I don't think there was ever one where everyone was at their absolute peak for a sustained period like the one above was for a couple of years (I won't mention the war(s) :oops:)

2014-2015 were the best two back to back grand finals dominations by one team for six decades.

Buddy was in one of those finals I recall, but not a Hawk

Roughead Hale Gunston Bruest Rioli Puopolo

Want to throw Michael moncrief into the mix, averaged three goals a game across 220 odd games including playing several seasons in defence during Hudson years. Topped our goal kicking a bunch of times including atleast one grand final year. Not sure many could stop him in a pocket when say dunstall was at FF. Hard to compare across generations though, I'd want to pick 20 blokes :)

Still get goosebumps thinking about our forward line from the 88 GF winning side.

Hall Brereton Kennedy

Abbott Dunstall Morrissey

Sure it was Abbott’s high watermark as a player but he did kick 6.
Morrissey wasn’t known as the freak for nothing btw, just lacked a decent tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back