Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy is a top bloke and footballer.....but based on achievements....he is in Hodgeys shadow and I reckon he would admit it.
Murphy was possibly voted in due to salty jealousy with Hawthorn winning all the time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's the only plausible reason why they would've voted him in. If you are the inspirational captain of the team that is the undisputed champion, my assumption is that under normal circumstances the vote would be 17-1

It's the only plausible reason why they would've voted him in. If you are the inspirational captain of the team that is the undisputed champion, my assumption is that under normal circumstances the vote would be 17-1

Tall poppy syndrome. If this comp was run in the States, Hodgey would have received the award for the third or fourth year running.

It's the classic example of spotting someone in a ferrari. In Australia, the reaction is usually 'what a w***er' but in the USA it's more likely aspiration to want to be in that situation themselves at some point.

Hodge is driving that ferrari known as the Hawthorn Football Club.

Tall poppy syndrome. If this comp was run in the States, Hodgey would have received the award for the third or fourth year running.

It's the classic example of spotting someone in a ferrari. In Australia, the reaction is usually 'what a ******' but in the USA it's more likely aspiration to want to be in that situation themselves at some point.

Hodge is driving that ferrari known as the Hawthorn Football Club.

Agree, but the problem is that the driver of the Ferrari generally is a w@nker

Thus reminding me that we are indeed in Australia.
Where if someone is worse off than you it's because they're a lazy bludger, and if they're better off than you they're an entitled w***er. That is until you get to know them.

Where if someone is worse off than you it's because they're a lazy bludger, and if they're better off than you they're an entitled ******. That is until you get to know them.
Or like in gaming, if they're doing better than you they're hacking, if they're doing worse they're a noob.

Where if someone is worse off than you it's because they're a lazy bludger, and if they're better off than you they're an entitled ******. That is until you get to know them.
Possessions should not ever maketh the man.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have been watching Cyril Rioli's demeanor this season and noticed that he seems extremely focussed on team success and has been a lot more outspoken about achieving the Four-peat. He has done a lot more media recently and seems to be becoming well groomed with club talk. He also seems completely dedicated to the club and, aside from the fact that he has had a 18inch hawk tattooed across his chest, frequently refers back to how much the GF loss in 2012 personally hurt him and how he uses that pain to motivate him going fwd. I probably wouldn't have considered it 1 or 2 seasons ago but I wonder if he is possibly putting his hand up to captain the club at some point. He certainly has the tools to be a 'lead by example captain' but it seems that he is slowly developing the other leadership skills required in the background. He is no Hodge, but then again 'who is?' and could be one from left field to look out for.

Last edited:
I have been watching Cyril Rioli's demeanor this season and noticed that he seems extremely focussed on team success and has been a lot more outspoken about achieving the Four-peat. He has done a lot more media recently and seems to be becoming well groomed with club talk. He also seems completely dedicated to the club and, aside from the fact that he has had a 18inch hawk tattooed across his chest, frequently refers back to how much the GF loss in 2012 personally hurt him and how he uses that pain to motivate him going fwd. I probably wouldn't have considered it 1 or 2 seasons ago but I wonder if he is possibly putting his hand up to captain the club at some point. He certainly has the tools to be a 'lead by example captain' but it seems that he is slowly developing the other leadership skills required in the background. He is no Hodge, but then again 'who is?' and could be one from left to look out for.
A family member of mine works within the AFL and when talking to Crawf it was a strong suggestion that Cyril was the next captain. This was 2 years ago.

Dont think it would suit Cyril. Not for one second doubting his ability as a leader, its just that the off field crap that goes along with it can reduce a players output on the field.
Mitch is a better player post captaincy and Hodge was better before he took up the role imo.
I know that leadership is vital and Hodge is the best in the business and will be almost impossible to replace and we will need someone to step up.
Cyril could do it (what cant he do?) but i dont think he should.

I have been watching Cyril Rioli's demeanor this season and noticed that he seems extremely focussed on team success and has been a lot more outspoken about achieving the Four-peat. He has done a lot more media recently and seems to be becoming well groomed with club talk. He also seems completely dedicated to the club and, aside from the fact that he has had a 18inch hawk tattooed across his chest, frequently refers back to how much the GF loss in 2012 personally hurt him and how he uses that pain to motivate him going fwd. I probably wouldn't have considered it 1 or 2 seasons ago but I wonder if he is possibly putting his hand up to captain the club at some point. He certainly has the tools to be a 'lead by example captain' but it seems that he is slowly developing the other leadership skills required in the background. He is no Hodge, but then again 'who is?' and could be one from left to look out for.
I hate that he always brings up 2012. I love that he uses it for motivation but every time he mentions it you can see a bit of pain in his face, as if he considers it to be his fault. He has given so much to the club and we wouldn't be where we are without him and the thought of him placing any sort of blame on himself for 2012 is so unwarranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate that he always brings up 2012. I love that he uses it for motivation but every time he mentions it you can see a bit of pain in his face, as if he considers it to be his fault. He has given so much to the club and we wouldn't be where we are without him and the thought of him placing any sort of blame on himself for 2012 is so unwarranted.

Yeah we all know who is to blame for 2012....

upload_2016-7-17_21-54-46.png

Yeah we all know who is to blame for 2012....

View attachment 267113
I wouldn't blame Young alone
There are a few reasons we lost 2012.
I could use,
I was sitting on the boundary line, Cyril had the ball & could have/ should have had a shot at goal. Buddy was screaming for the ball, demanding it, & Cyril passed to him.
Buddy missed the shot.
1 of many examples

I don't think he blames himself. He's simply angry that they lost and that he was one of many players whose output on the day was well below standard. And hence he uses it as motivation not to play another poor GF.

I think Gunston is a natural choice. The obvious one, eventually. Still have Lewis after Hodge, and throw Cyril into that mix too.

It worries me that Gunston isnt a one club player. That is the only knock on him I see. Does this rule him out of contention? I cant think of the last time we had a Captain who'd played for someone else. Is is that we've just had the talent already within the ranks we haven't had to look elsewhere?

Im reassured after the open mike interview with Vanders. Richie spoke about his appointment as Captain, and he actually thought that Spider Everitt could get the gig. Spose that did jog the memory, though I've probably tried to block Spider and that period out a little. Anyhow, Spider was a contender, coming off winning our B&F, and spruiking himself. Thankfully, that wasn't to be, but interestingly Joel Smith (former Saint) was made VC. I'll take that as some precedent on the situation, even more so since Gunston is clearly thought of as a Hawk through and through.

I think Gunston is a natural choice. The obvious one, eventually. Still have Lewis after Hodge, and throw Cyril into that mix too.

It worries me that Gunston isnt a one club player. That is the only knock on him I see. Does this rule him out of contention? I cant think of the last time we had a Captain who'd played for someone else. Is is that we've just had the talent already within the ranks we haven't had to look elsewhere?

Im reassured after the open mike interview with Vanders. Richie spoke about his appointment as Captain, and he actually thought that Spider Everitt could get the gig. Spose that did jog the memory, though I've probably tried to block Spider and that period out a little. Anyhow, Spider was a contender, coming off winning our B&F, and spruiking himself. Thankfully, that wasn't to be, but interestingly Joel Smith (former Saint) was made VC. I'll take that as some precedent on the situation, even more so since Gunston is clearly thought of as a Hawk through and through.

He would be my vote if I had one.

You can't hold Gunston being drafted to the Crows against him. The fact that he chose to come to us after winning their best 1st year player means is more important than where he came from.

At this stage I would honestly bypass Lewis and go straight to Gunston. I was previously a big supporter of Shiels to take over from Hodge, but watching Gunston this year he has shown the on field leadership that I thought he lacked.

Honestly i would be happy with any of - Lewis, Gunston, Shiels or Rioli

Last time we had a captain who didn't end up a one team player was Alec Albitson. Last player to have originally played for another club first was Keith Shea in 1945. Since 1950 all our club captains have been, and remained, one club players. It's an amazing record.

Gunston for me. At the right age to lead the next gen with the support of a leadership group that still contains some older leaders.

Your captain doesn't need to be in your best handful of players but I think it can help if they tick all the other boxes - which he does.

What I really like about him as a leader is that he plays tough footy but when's the last time you've ever seen him lose his cool and get caught up in a wrestle or get reported? He keeps his focus on the game and doesn't get rattled or drop his head. That unwaivering confidence and strength will be important aspect of him leading by example.

Shiels is many of these things too but what I think Gunston has over him is that he's a better talent (not overly critical) and he seems to be more durable (best to have a captain who will play most games).

I think our next captain will be Liam Shiels. He has all the makings of a successful captain. Next I would say maybe Jack Gunston as an outside choice but might not suit him. Thoughts?

I wouldn't blame Young alone
There are a few reasons we lost 2012.
I could use,
I was sitting on the boundary line, Cyril had the ball & could have/ should have had a shot at goal. Buddy was screaming for the ball, demanding it, & Cyril passed to him.
Buddy missed the shot.
1 of many examples
I am happy for 2012. Very happy. Doubt there would have been a 3-peat without that pain driving the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back