Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

People severely underestimating how much Issac currently leads on field... How many stoppages and plays he sets.
And how highly the professionalism, enthusiasm & energy he brings to the group is rated.
This guy is very highly regarded.
*cough*
59f1420aca7b4acea4feb7bc79d654de.jpg

ab3d4a83f7cecfd333ae8a1de3b9dc2d.jpg

Will Shiels step up a level if he is made captain? He's rarely taken a game by the scruff of the neck and I don't remember him standing up especially tall when we've been in a heap--not that he's needed to really. As far as I'm concerned our next captain needs to be a player that can stand apart at big moments, something Gunston and Rioli do regularly.
So 25 tackles per game instead of his normal 18? Shiels doesn't need to turn games to be a quality leader.

Leadership group is Hodge, Mitch, Lewis, Rough, Gibbo and Smith.
Emerging leaders has Stratts, Gunston, Birchall and Shiels in it, Smith was last year before stepping up. Not sure who else at the club might be in the emerging leaders group.
You'd think next Captain would have to be from that emerging leaders program or Smith if they were to bypass Lewis for any reason.

Shhh... keep it on the down-low. ;)

So 25 tackles per game instead of his normal 18? Shiels doesn't need to turn games to be a quality leader.

In a way I would have to say yes. Captains of the Hawthorn football club are a very elite group. The inspirational-ness of hawthorn captains is off the charts. The greatest footballer ever was our captain for goodness sake. We're beyond spoilt.

I think we should thank Clinton Young for the 2008 gf win.
Never understood him being singled out for 2012, the blame was on a lot of shoulders that day.

It was a shocker on so many levels, Clinton Young's moment was however 'that' moment that comes to stand for all of the others.

Gunston is a mile ahead of anyone else.

He has the best footy brain you'll ever see. He seizes the moments like the greats.

The only issue I have is can a FF be captain? I feel it has to be a mid because you need to around the ball in the moments to truly lead. Maybe I'm wrong but no one else compares for captaincy than Gunston.

He has the best footy brain you'll ever see. He seizes the moments like the greats.

The only issue I have is can a FF be captain? I feel it has to be a mid because you need to around the ball in the moments to truly lead. Maybe I'm wrong but no one else compares for captaincy than Gunston.
He doesn't play like a full forward in the traditional sense. He's constantly up the wings and loose in defense.

He doesn't play like a full forward in the traditional sense. He's constantly up the wings and loose in defense.
And even staring in the centre these days. Infrequent, but it's a great sign.

He just keeps improving and adding another dimension to his game.

And even staring in the centre these days. Infrequent, but it's a great sign.

He just keeps improving and adding another dimension to his game.
I had said a while back that I would love to see him train with the mids next summer.
Getting him to be a 60-40 mid forward would be awesome as his delivery inside 50 is pretty good!
No reason Hawthorn can't evolve its own version of Fyfe with Rough,Shoey, Sicily, TOB, Breust, Cyril, Poppy, Burton, Hardwick, BB/Cegs... ect that can more than hold down a functional forward line.
He look to have the body type to carry 90kg easily & be that contested beast FYFE is!
He can be captain but if he could evolve he is a dead set lock!

Gunners it is then.

Seriously it has to be him.

He's a freak. For some weird reason I was watching an old Adelaide game last night on fox. Never knew who Gunston was before he came to Hawthorn. Gunners was a raw kid but dragged Adelaide back from nowhere. Oh man they must have spewed ...
They're still spewin in the form of booin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunners it is then.

Seriously it has to be him.

He's a freak. For some weird reason I was watching an old Adelaide game last night on fox. Never knew who Gunston was before he came to Hawthorn. Gunners was a raw kid but dragged Adelaide back from nowhere. Oh man they must have spewed ...

They did, big time!

I never noticed him until he came to the Hawks either but I give thanks every day that he did!

Jason Dunstall?

Was most unfortunate to be handed the captaincy just as we were going into terminal decline, and then through missing most of his last two seasons (1997-98) through injury.

I think we should thank Clinton Young for the 2008 gf win.
Never understood him being singled out for 2012, the blame was on a lot of shoulders that day.
2012 there were many factors (still adamant Tom murphy should have played instead of Ellis)

The thing with young is, we had them on toast, then young kills our momentum by falling over his own feet, allowing Goodes to swoop on it and walk in to goal

Then, he doesn't have the guts to turn up the next yr to make up for it, instead jumping to Collingwood

Burt
I had said a while back that I would love to see him train with the mids next summer.
Getting him to be a 60-40 mid forward would be awesome as his delivery inside 50 is pretty good!
No reason Hawthorn can't evolve its own version of Fyfe with Rough,Shoey, Sicily, TOB, Breust, Cyril, Poppy, Burton, Hardwick, BB/Cegs... ect that can more than hold down a functional forward line.
He look to have the body type to carry 90kg easily & be that contested beast FYFE is!
He can be captain but if he could evolve he is a dead set lock!
Burtons build is similar to Fyffes...

2012 there were many factors (still adamant Tom murphy should have played instead of Ellis)

The thing with young is, we had them on toast, then young kills our momentum by falling over his own feet, allowing Goodes to swoop on it and walk in to goal

Then, he doesn't have the guts to turn up the next yr to make up for it, instead jumping to Collingwood
Had an old family friend in the coaches box that day, apparently Clarko said Young would never wear the jumper again.

Yeah he was bad but Roughy and Cyril were worse just for starters- anyway shocking game but it did crystallize our boys resolve.
Hearing Mitch talk today about how he remembers 2012 more than 13/14/15 combined really brings that home.
Anyway back to topic.
Smith for captain

Jack not Goodes.

I was thinking Gunston as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back