Hayden Ballantyne broken jaw??

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it definitely the jaw or the cheekbone?

A hairline depressed fracture of the cheekbone isn't too much at all and he should be right to play. Normally no plate, but they stick a spoon thingy up their and pop the depression out like a panel beater.

I've had a few* because I am such a rude, obnoxious bastard.

Apparently.

1 footy, 1 cricket.

Never

Looking at the footage, it does look like contact with the jaw rather than the cheekbone.

Yeah, I just checked the club press release and it is the jaw, but nothing about a plate, which would be far more serious.

All that is coming from media speculation with the normal, "it is believed" rubbish.

I reckon that he'll play. He's a tough little bastard.

Seems quite similar to the Barlow jaw injury last year... didn't he miss 2 weeks from memory? (might have all that completely wrong)

I'd say under normal circumstances he'd miss this week and come back strong after the bye... don't think there's any hope in hell he's gonna miss this one though.

I just had a close look at that footage, and I reckon Balla was injured because he was in two minds about what to do.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-13/jaw-surgery-for-balla

Looks like he held off on turning in the shoulder a split second too long... and left his face open. If it weren't for all the "you should have pivoted out of it" cr@p that's been going on recently, and the fact that he had only just come back from suspension (and didn't want to get himself suspended again) I reckon he'd have done a better job of protecting himself.

To me, it looks like he was waiting to make sure he didn't hit Impey high with a shoulder, and didn't give himself enough time to cover up. It's clear as day now that I look at it again... he was running it to contest, shapes to bump then changes his mind and pulls his shoulder back open... and by the time he tries to cover back up it's too late.

This is the other side of what the MRP is asking players to do. Having to compute alternative options in a split second (when one of those options is completely foreign... pull out of a contest to avoid hurting the opposition) is going to catch some players doing neither, and some will get hurt as a result.

There's little they can do about it... and to some degree it's the lesser of two evils (as opposed to ignoring the duty of care to not poleaxe the oppo), but it's going to happen again. Imagine if it was a "hard, tough ball-player" like Hodge that cracked his jaw, and he actually said something about it when interviewed... as opposed to "a serial pest" like Balla. Imagine the furore.
Fair call I'd say. You have to wonder about the AFL's efforts in attempting to coach players out of their own natural physicality leads to situations with higher chances of injury.

Seems quite similar to the Barlow jaw injury last year... didn't he miss 2 weeks from memory? (might have all that completely wrong)

I'd say under normal circumstances he'd miss this week and come back strong after the bye... don't think there's any hope in hell he's gonna miss this one though.

Yeah, was thinking same thing. But if it's cheek like slicedndiced is suggesting then it's not quite the same thing. Either way, sounds like Balla's might not be as bad as Barlow's. If I recall rightly, his was a reasonable break that originally was expected to be 4-6 weeks, but Barlow did his magic thing that he does and managed to get back a few weeks early - I was like a worried old chook when he came back it was swollen and all and I just thought it was madness.

Anyway, sounds like Balla's is about as minor a fracture you can get, but still, would have to be pretty tough call to go out and throw your face on the line that soon after going under the knife.

On the other hand, he's never going to earn money taking jobs away from the Brad Pitt's of this world, so * it, get out there and win it for Pav you pesky little mongrel. :D

Last edited:

Barlow only missed the one week and it was the week we played Geelong at Skilled. I honestly think that Ross sent the B team and he could have played if we needed the win.

We left Pav, Sandi, Barlow and Mundy in Perth, Spurr was a late out and Duffield was subbed early.

Ross compared his operation to having a wisdom tooth pulled out.

Ballantyne could have that done at half time and be ready for the 3rd quarter. He'll play this week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep sounds like he will. RTB said that McPharlap is the doubtful one.
He said Dawson, Hill & Ballas should play.
Elvis would be a big out. Fingers crossed.

Is it definitely the jaw or the cheekbone?

A hairline depressed fracture of the cheekbone isn't too much at all and he should be right to play. Normally no plate, but they stick a spoon thingy up there and pop the depression out like a panel beater.

I've had a few* because I am such a rude, obnoxious bastard.

Apparently.

1 footy, 1 cricket.

You are being too hard on yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back