List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

He's worth a year. Pointless to retire all the older guys i guess when we have few picks in the draft and a few to promote to the main list from the rookie list. Don't think they will be in a hurry just yet to resign him depending on a few others still to decide on.

Hes been cooked for a couple of years but I dont mind as long as hes depth only. I have walters > Matera > Grey > Switta & Harley (if he ever gets fit) ahead of him.

Gotta use Matera better or he could find himself down the pecking order too.

I like Grey's forward pressure & from the small glimpse of Switta's game I think he can offer that and snag a few goals which would be an upgrade on Grey.

Maybe its more to do with changes in personnel, rules & gameplan etc but I just dont see the manic forward pressure from Ballas anymore...

Last edited:
Do we though?

We've got plenty of senior players and plenty of coaches. Pretty sure the Saints have been using that excuse during their rebuild too.
And Carlton went the other way.

If we have a choice between Hayden and our first year rookie playing next year in the same position then it protects both the player and the structure.

I don't mind the avoidance of pick #110 too in order to replace him

Do we though?

We've got plenty of senior players and plenty of coaches. Pretty sure the Saints have been using that excuse during their rebuild too.
I suppose when you don't have many later picks your hands are tied? The club gambled I reckon on being back in finals
contention this year and onwards.We have been gambling on future picks, eventually it catches up.

If we have a choice between Hayden and our first year rookie playing next year in the same position then it protects both the player and the structure.

I don't mind the avoidance of pick #110 either but that wasn't his point, nor mine.

Hes been cooked for a couple of years but I dont mind as long as hes depth only. I have walters > Matera > Grey > Switta & Harley (if he ever gets fit) ahead of him.

Gotta use Matera better or he could find himself down the pecking order too.

I like Grey's forward pressure & from the small glimpse of Switta's game I think he can offer that and snag a few goals which would be an upgrade on Grey.

Maybe its more to do with changes in personnel, rules & gameplan etc but I just dont see the manic forward pressure from Ballas anymore...

I thought the manic pressure was there on the weekend. Best game I`ve seen him play in a while.
Sure he can`t do that every week but as others have pointed out we can`t do a complete Carlton/Melbourne and only keep a handful of guys over 25. The results over the next few years would only get worse.

I don't mind the avoidance of pick #110 either but that wasn't his point, nor mine.
It is the way the system goes, we can sign the old man for a year or play the youth in his place - that young man might be pick #7 but the list place vacated by Ballantyne is the last one on the draft board, #7 was always coming.

My subtext point was that St Kilda went the older path - and we are better than them, Carlton went the young guy path - and we are better than them.

Although we've had 4 rookie listed players being b22 a lot of the time this year. I certainly wouldn't be against another Nyhuis, Duman, Banfield or Giro developing on our list.

I would have moved on from Ballas personally but also not going to have a meltdown over an extra year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maxresdefault.jpg

No way he should play on another year. He's beyond past it. Would rather Grey, Switta, possibly even Bennell if we get lucky enough in that spot. Thanks for the memories Ballas. Good luck with your bull farm.

Ballantyne would be an awful teacher

Unless they want to learn how to lose their feet at every contest, read the ball drop completely wrong and be the wrong side of the pack every time

I disagree with this, he has been one of the most consistently hard working players I have ever seen, and ran as hard if we are winning by 50 or losing by 50. And in his time a few years back was a very good forward. He can teach a lot about work ethic during games, pressure etc.

I disagree with this, he has been one of the most consistently hard working players I have ever seen, and ran as hard if we are winning by 50 or losing by 50. And in his time a few years back was a very good forward. He can teach a lot about work ethic during games, pressure etc.
Kids are mostly uber fit and uber professional now anyways

Diet, tranic ethic etc differences between youth and professional level are becoming very small, any muppet can run around like a headless chook

Wrong call.

Yeah probably and we look to be developing some good small forwards.

Think he is lucky that he is a coaches favourite, we have little to no drfat picks (unless we start dealing) and plenty of other players ending this year in Johnson, Pearce, Spurr, Sutcliffe without even having to think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back