Recommitted Hayden McLean [re-signed for two years]

OP by the Ziebull:

Fresh off 4 goals the big Victorian born swan is out of contract and could be a cheap pick up option for teams needing a forward who can also ruck

Has been filling in for Reid and buddy but Logan McDonald also waiting in the wings

Will be interesting to see how many games he gets this year and if he decides to go home

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyGan

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Torched the cats earlier in the year. His contested marking was so good. Would be a great pick up for plenty of teams if swans are forced to let him go.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Plenty will be making enquiries. His training wheels are off and he stepped up this year when played. Showed he is well and truly AFL standard KPP. Leads to good areas, clunks his marks, and can kick straight.
McLean has earnt starting 22, even with Bud playing. Upside is obvious to any that have watched him this season.
No idea how we hold them all.

Into him big time to partner Marshall after Ryder retires - Would be a good combo but both are more fwd then ruck IMO
It's a tough one with McLean, structure-wise. Because of his limitations, you probably want him playing as a second ruck, but he's not really big enough to be a second ruck, and will probably get smashed by more versatile ruckmen. s**t, we even had Blakey playing second ruck when they were both in the same side. IMO that combimation would only really work if Marshall was spending about 90% time in the ruck.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a tough one with McLean, structure-wise. Because of his limitations, you probably want him playing as a second ruck, but he's not really big enough to be a second ruck, and will probably get smashed by more versatile ruckmen. sh*t, we even had Blakey playing second ruck when they were both in the same side. IMO that combimation would only really work if Marshall was spending about 90% time in the ruck.

If the Saints were to get him though, making their ruck combo Marshall/McLean, you're really only looking at Dees (Jackson), Pies (Cameron) and guess Port (Ladhams) as having a genuinely better 2nd ruck.

The likes of Silvagni, Young, Frampton, Campbell/Xerri, Day etc aren't that much better than McLean.

If the Saints were to get him though, making their ruck combo Marshall/McLean, you're really only looking at Dees (Jackson), Pies (Cameron) and guess Port (Ladhams) as having a genuinely better 2nd ruck.

The likes of Silvagni, Young, Frampton, Campbell/Xerri, Day etc aren't that much better than McLean.
Peter Wright is a better ruck than McLean.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
He looked like he hurt his knee in the Swans finals loss; any word on the seriousness of the injury?

I haven't heard anything and it looked like it could have been serious at the time.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
He looked like he hurt his knee in the Swans finals loss; any word on the seriousness of the injury?

I haven't heard anything and it looked like it could have been serious at the time.
Nah he's fine.
We just put him in cottonwool before he has his breakout season in 2022.
We expect him to become one of the best marking forwards/ relief ruckmen in the comp.
Early second rounder should get it done!

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Nah he's fine.
We just put him in cottonwool before he has his breakout season in 2022.
We expect him to become one of the best marking forwards/ relief ruckmen in the comp.
Early second rounder should get it done!
Lets do a quick check on the Saints as trading partners:
- Zac Jones = pick 36
- T Membery = zero

Classic small club syndrome that needs to "win" trade periods and not games. Wont offer anything useful.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd be happy to take him cheaply but he would very much just be backup for Marshall. We need a more genuine ruck to fill in for Ryder when he needs to be rested and then take over the starting ruck role in 2023.

I've liked McLean since he was at Sandy and was disappointed that we didn't take him back then. Would've been much more useful this year than McKernan or Hunter.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d like north to have a sniff

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
- Zac Jones = pick 36
- T Membery = zero

Classic small club syndrome that needs to "win" trade periods and not games. Wont offer anything useful.
You have conveniently forgotten about the Hannerbury trade in the middle there.
I think that tips the scales back your way there. Even if the trade cost wasn’t high, it was still a win for you.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
- Zac Jones = pick 36
- T Membery = zero

I don’t think anyone else in the history of trading would consider StK is a club that needs to win trade period.

Its a weird take but there you go.

Don’t forget that before your mob became so big & powerful (thanks to AFL $) your arse was hanging out of your pants so badly you had to be relocated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Zac Jones = pick 36
- T Membery = zero

You get right that to stay relevant that you payed huge overs cap wise for Bud which right now is having a direct impact on your list .

Back