Player Watch Hayden McLean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
He's been described as a developing key position player. So maybe he may be pushed down back or as a utility? Pure speculation of course
There's no way McLean could come in and develop as a key defender in his first season. Maibaum is out for this year. We wouldn't have made this move unless we wanted someone who could replace him pretty quickly. To me that is Pink, who showed some promising signs in the JLT game we saw of him, and who at least has two seasons worth of knowledge under his belt to help him develop as a defender a little quicker, as opposed to McLean who may be a raw prospect if tried in a new role.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
So what is McLean? All I know is his age, height, and that he is a key position/ruck-ish sort of player, which given his height pretty much goes without saying. Anyone know his strengths and weaknesses?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
So what is McLean? All I know is his age, height, and that he is a key position/ruck-ish sort of player, which given his height pretty much goes without saying. Anyone know his strengths and weaknesses?
If I were to define him on his junior years (used to watch him every few weeks but haven't seen him in the last year and a half), I would actually say not unlike Mumford, but without being a thug and not what I'd call an artful tap ruck either. More the way he goes about it. Not afraid to throw his body around and do the one percenters you don't usually see from big boys, but he'll never be pretty to watch.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
If I were to define him on his junior years (used to watch him every few weeks but haven't seen him in the last year and a half), I would actually say not unlike Mumford, but without being a thug and not what I'd call an artful tap ruck either. More the way he goes about it. Not afraid to throw his body around and do the one percenters you don't usually see from big boys, but he'll never be pretty to watch.
I am fine with drafting a dump truck over a Ferrari. The dump truck has its place.

AFL Club
Sydney
There's no way McLean could come in and develop as a key defender in his first season. Maibaum is out for this year. We wouldn't have made this move unless we wanted someone who could replace him pretty quickly. To me that is Pink, who showed some promising signs in the JLT game we saw of him, and who at least has two seasons worth of knowledge under his belt to help him develop as a defender a little quicker, as opposed to McLean who may be a raw prospect if tried in a new role.
I agree. I was just trying to think how they would use McLean in the future as he developed.

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals
Moderator #25
Should be a smart pickup. Tap work looks solid and seems to have some grunt which you can always use around the contest. Strong overhead mark around the ground would be a valuable asset for us too.

Although we lost Maibaum, defense is probably the area where we are quite strong in depth so makes sense to add a tall forward/ruck where our stocks are shorter.

Top Bottom