Unsolved Hayley Dodd Murder & Trial Updates

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cr...h-for-murdered-teen-hayley-dodd-ng-b88917686z

Heartbreak in futile psychic search for murdered teen Hayley Dodd.

THE mother of murdered teen Hayley Dodd has vowed to rethink future searches for her daughter's remains after a site identified by a psychic failed to deliver clues to her final resting place.

The psychic believed 17-year-old Hayley's body was buried five kilometres away from her killer's home, off a quiet stretch of road in Badgingarra.

Margaret Dodd says specially-trained dogs had also picked up a scent in the area.

"This spot has come up time and time again basically because this woman truly believes Hayley is there," Mrs Dodd said.

"What choice do we have, we started digging."

The latest search drew a blank and Mrs Dodd has vowed not to undertake another because of the heartbreak it had caused her family.

The only exception would be if Hayley's killer reveals where she is buried.

"It put me really really down, it's messed around with my daughter's head."
View attachment 537677

If psychics are so good, pay them for an outcome, not a promise. See how many psychics turn up for the job then.

Last edited:

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Badgingarra map. How far could he get from his property in the time he had?

Interesting to note that coincidently that a full tank of petrol would get Deborah Anderson's car to Badgingarra and then would probably run out of fuel by Swan View on the return journey. But since the car was burnt, we probably have no way of knowing if the petrol tank was empty.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting to note that coincidently that a full tank of petrol would get Deborah Anderson's car to Badgingarra and then would probably run out of fuel by Swan View on the return journey. But since the car was burnt, we probably have no way of knowing if the petrol tank was empty.

Another Australia Day weekend - job in 2000 too. I'm going with Cutlers perpetrator. Anderson, Dance Drive - Cutler, Forrest road, Cottesloe.

Anderson - brutally raped.

Ms Anderson, 24, died in a burnt-out car in a tiny shopping centre carpark on Dance Drive on January 24, 2000, after travelling more than 800 kilometres to Geraldton and back.

Last edited:

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Another Australia Day weekend - job in 2000 too. I'm going with Cutlers perpetrator. Anderson, Dance Drive - Cutler, Forrest road, Cottesloe.

Anderson - brutally raped.

Ms Anderson, 24, died in a burnt-out car in a tiny shopping centre carpark on Dance Drive on January 24, 2000, after travelling more than 800 kilometres to Geraldton and back.

Geraldton and back requires refuelling. Police looked at every petrol Station between Perth and Geraldton and never found any proof that she refuelled.
Badgingarra and return though, can be done on just over one tank of petrol.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Geraldton and back requires refuelling. Police looked at every petrol Station between Perth and Geraldton and never found any proof that she refuelled.
Badgingarra and return though, can be done on just over one tank of petrol.

Wark moved to Badge in 1984. Badge 364km from Woodvale and back to Middle Swan.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Wark moved to Badge in 1984. Badge 364km from Woodvale and back to Middle Swan.

BTW. You hadn't said anything about the bloke who worked at an IGA near Woodvale, who once said something to a magistrate at Perth Central Law Courts about Satan worshippers and snuff films many years ago.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
BTW. You hadn't said anything about the bloke who worked at an IGA near Woodvale, who once said something to a magistrate at Perth Central Law Courts about Satan worshippers and snuff films many years ago.

Really?

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Could easily add another 40 or 50 km if she drove around or visited the Pinnacles. If so, she would be running on empty by SwanView

It appears some of the Deborah Anderson newspaper articles are commentary about a psychic who is delusional about what happened. #fakenews

How do you set a car on fire with such ferocity? Get a fuel can out the boot and pour fuel over the car? You are going to need more than a litre.

Being a seasoned criminal they probably knew not to stop at the petrol station. Did they take fuel cans?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
How do you set a car on fire with such ferocity? Get a fuel can out the boot and pour fuel over the car? You are going to need more than a litre.

Being a seasoned criminal they probably knew not to stop at the petrol station. Did they take fuel cans?
Pour it inside the car as the seats are the soft fuel that really trigger the fire - uhh thats what i was told anyway

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone know if Ward was granted right of appeal? What happened to the appeal? Has it sunk>?

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone know if Ward was granted right of appeal? What happened to the appeal? Has it sunk>?
The West Australian 29 July 2019 pg 11 Article "We want to bring her home".
Warks lawyers have put forward six grounds of appeal including "anomalies" in the collection, packaging and storage of the car seat cover.
The Court of Appeal has not handed down a decision

Eaglette01

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2016
The Wild Wild West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leicester City FC, Dallas Cowboys

Mudman85

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
On what grounds do we know? I can't see anything.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Vandongen argued six grounds of appeal, including “anomalies” in the collection, packaging and storage of a car seat cover.
Police seized the cover from the ute Wark was driving on the day Hayley vanished, but it was not tested until 2013, when an ankh-shaped earring identical to the one the teen was wearing, was found.
There were suggestions it could have been planted by police.
Mr Vandongen also argued Justice Jenkins relied on “unproven assumption” when rejecting Wark’s alibi — that he was shopping in Moora — and finding he had the time to abduct and kill the teenager.
He said it was illogical Justice Jenkins discredited Wark’s alibi based on his conviction for a strikingly similar abduction and rape of a woman in Queensland, given it happened eight years later.
The crime was used as propensity evidence

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have a legal system NOT a justice system:

Hayley Dodd's accused murderer Francis Wark to face re-trial after appeal win
There goes that theory.
This is shocking.
Sure hope he has a fair trial and is convicted for the crimes he committed

Mr Vandongen also argued Justice Jenkins relied on “unproven assumption” when rejecting Wark’s alibi — that he was shopping in Moora — and finding he had the time to abduct and kill the teenager.
He said it was illogical Justice Jenkins discredited Wark’s alibi based on his conviction for a strikingly similar abduction and rape of a woman in Queensland, given it happened eight years later.
The crime was used as propensity evidence

I wasn't a huge fan of the propensity in this case to begin with but in front of judge only Jenkins it seemed safe. On the unproven assumption Wark had time to abduct and kill Hayley, I'd thought the cops did the same run to see if it could be done?

Maybe we should wait to read the judgement because I'm not sure on which point/s his conviction was quashed?

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
In his witness statement, Wark said he had done his weekly chores in nearby Moora, then travelled to Perth about 20 minutes after Hayley was last seen alive.

"To some, it may seem strange that an error in one or two paragraphs of a careful judgment of almost 200 pages could lead to a successful appeal and a retrial," Court of Appeal Justice Michael Beech said.

"However the truth of what the appellant told the police was at the heart of his case at trial.

"Acceptance of his account of when he left Moora would have required his acquittal.

"In my respectful view, the judge's erroneous discounting, unless supported by independent evidence, of what the appellant told the police occasioned a miscarriage of justice and a substantial one."

So if a crim says he didn't do it a judge has to believe him unless there's evidence to the contrary? What about the evidence that says Wark committed the crime? I have no doubt he'll be found guilty again, if all the same evidence is presented.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Makes it easier to understand when we read the full decision (very slowly, to take it in), thanks.

I need a few more minutes to take it all in, looks like most grounds 1,2,4 on were dismissed. I'm curious if the hair they found in Wark's truck had DNA on it?

Mudman85

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

So if a crim says he didn't do it a judge has to believe him unless there's evidence to the contrary? What about the evidence that says Wark committed the crime? I have no doubt he'll be found guilty again, if all the same evidence is presented.

Was never a safe conviction if you ask me. I was always confused that they say she was raped and murdered by him despite no body.

The earring was a little too convenient for me

Was never a safe conviction if you ask me. I was always confused that they say she was raped and murdered by him despite no body.

The earring was a little too convenient for me

Hayley was in the car Wark was driving that day and he said she wasn't.

A UK forensic scientist says it is 7.2 million times more likely than not that Hayley Dodd contributed to DNA found on a strand of hair in the car her alleged murderer was driving the day she disappeared.

Carmel's going to be very busy.

Prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo to lead prosecution of Hayley Dodd murder accused Francis John Wark

Back