Autopsy HB Returns, Dockers smashed v Richmond

May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It shits me when fans clap off players after 100 point losses. I'm all for support, I stayed to the end today and have never left a poor loss early, but that doesn't mean I'll give them a clap for showing no effort or heart. In what other profession would you get applauded for flat out failure? I'm sorry if it seems harsh but I feel it sends a message of acceptance of mediocrity.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our first string midfield may look decent on paper but jesus even just one injury or change up to it and the whole thing falls apart
...seriously. We had neale out of it today with the likes of Blakely and langdon out of the the rotations...that should NOT be a reason for it to absolutely crumble like it has. Ill say again...what are Rock and eastaugh doing exactly?. Shill needs to be given a direct role and stick with it otherwise he seems to be drifting towards mediocrity with no way back. Agree on weller too...same deal put into a definitive role (as a mid),which he primarily is,until hes established, otherewise i genuinely fear hes going the same way as croz.

We simply need more talent .unfortunately i can't see us not getting away with not downgrading our first and grabbing the likes of mcgovern etc. Sure it d be nice not having to but our previous listMISmanagement means we're hardpressed not to now.Need some bonafide known talent.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Feels like he's deprived of confidence and his once cited elite ball use by foot has barely been seen.

Must be the biggest coincidence of all time that the longer you play for Ross Lyon, the worse your disposal gets.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
A lot of the youngsters look cooked at the end of the season. Next week could be just as ugly
Carlton and Brisbane kids look fresh towards the end of the season.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Must be the biggest coincidence of all time that the longer you play for Ross Lyon, the worse your disposal gets.

It's the emphasis on effort over skills. The usual stuff we've talked about for the last couple of years. Sure it needs effort to win, but it is too tiring to be out there just trying to out-effort your opposition week in, week out. There is a physical limit to how much you can do before you burn out. Hence our players are cooked and don't have much left to give at the end of a season. Skills rely on confidence and freshness.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep thats what really worries me ...even b4 this game...essendon have shown this year they can score very quickly and get some serious momentum swings going their way.. .not to mention playing for a finals spot and under the roof. We are 100% genuinely looking at 3 × 100 point losses in a row,in fact the odds for it would actually be quite low id think.
Uuuuurghhh .....

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
It's the emphasis on effort over skills. The usual stuff we've talked about for the last couple of years. Sure it needs effort to win, but it is too tiring to be out there just trying to out-effort your opposition week in, week out. There is a physical limit to how much you can do before you burn out. Hence our players are cooked and don't have much left to give at the end of a season. Skills rely on confidence and freshness.

I'm intrigued how other coaches allow so little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
How did we get so comprehensively beaten in the midfield after quarter time? I need to go to the replay for more insight unless someone else has the answers right now. Didnt seem to give a whimper. Fyfe was good in the first. Mundy and shill got some ball but seemed ineffective. Can someone tell me why sutcliffe is even allowed in the centre square!

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even if tabs had kicked both those first quarter goals and mccarthy had taken those 2 marks early and the umpies had been fair dinkum we still didnt have a midfield turn up today to finish the game off.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even if tabs had kicked both those first quarter goals and mccarthy had taken those 2 marks early and the umpies had been fair dinkum we still didnt have a midfield turn up today to finish the game off.
The Tigers couldn't miss and we definitely could. A little rub of the green went their way with the umpires early.

We dropped our head after they had kicked 8 straight and we were 3-5. At that point the game had been even but we couldn't take our chances and the ****ers couldn't miss.

Although the loss was always likely, the margin was 100% mental IMO. Not good for the blokes playing for a contract I wouldn't have thought.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
First 10 minutes we were on. It was about 10 inside 50s to 1 and we led 8-6. That right there highlighted our deficiencies. A team that takes its opportunities gets out to a 4 goal lead right there.

Once Tigers fired a shot we rolled over.

Great to see Bennell kick a couple.

Question marks on many.

Well said. Sums it up perfectly.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
I
Because slow Mundy and weak Sutcliffe spent most of their game-time in there. That's all you really need to know.
Im starting to think the game is too fast for mundy and the likes of johnno. Sending johno forward must mean hes not playing next year surely ?

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

I'm annoyed how we place such little value on skills. We can't even string 3 or 4 possessions in a row without someone butchering it.

You need both of course, and you have balance the two. I think the general Ross game plan has always been too far one way. The game plan burns out players, and our players are thoroughly burnt out right now. Exhorting them to greater effort will not produce results, they have reached the limits of what their human bodies are capable of.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

They have better game plans that don't rely on running the full length of the field time after time after time.

This has been a constant criticism of Ross Lyon game plan since he was at St Kilda. His style of football is not sustainable in the long term.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit meh about the game. I don't get why we can play with such intensity for a quarter and then completely turn off for the next three? Professional athletes surely can't burn themselves out in 25% of a game? There is obviously a long list of issues but I still think the starting point is once again pressure on the ball and spread with the ball. Richmond excelled on the outside because their spread was superb all day and their pressure wasn't amazing but it was consistent.

It was a tough day for our defenders. The ball was coming in with zero pressure and with a paddock for Richmond's forwards to work in. I think you can excuse them a bit for the i50 efficiency against us. But they (all of them) also panicked too much on the rebound and either fumbled or turned the ball over by foot. They need to do better (preferably by calming the **** down and looking for short effective options until a clear option down field presents) but it was annoying not seeing our mids and forwards spread to give them options and also play behind as if our defenders are going to launch 80-90m so they can run on to it. Those turnovers trying to move the ball were absolute killers, especially against a team that likes to use the outside as much as Richmond does.

Our mids got smashed again on the inside but even with Neale, Blakely and Walters out we still should have done better imo. We seem to try and force the ball forward rather than finessing it to the outside and moving the ball by design. I just don't get why with the Hill brothers, Tucker and Weller all available to play on the outside we can't play a more classy inside-outside game? Richmond's outside mids continually allowed our mids to get drawn in to the ball and worked the outside pretty much uncontested. I honestly believe if we were more accountable on the outside (like we were in Q1) we could have at least halved the score deficit.

Hard to assess our forward line given the limited opportunities for three quarters of the game but 39% efficiency inside 50 (or 16 shots from 41 entries) is a pretty clear indication we have plenty of work to do still (Richmond's was 64%!!!). Didn't mind Crozier's work, thought Deluca tried hard, Tabs and Cox were good for a quarter and McCarthy had moments but not enough. Bennell back is a huge plus! Give it time people - these "lines" take time to gel and our back and forward lines are brand new this year - they'll benefit a lot from their first pre-seasons training together as the new B22(ish). Our midfield has sucked lately but we are playing with a 19yo ruck and perhaps that's also having more of an impact than we realise as spectators (ie all their set plays/structures in the middle).

These big defeats are deflating but at the end of the day all losses are worth the same points.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
First 10 minutes we were on. It was about 10 inside 50s to 1 and we led 8-6. That right there highlighted our deficiencies. A team that takes its opportunities gets out to a 4 goal lead right there.

Once Tigers fired a shot we rolled over.

Great to see Bennell kick a couple.

Question marks on many.
Our entry I50 continues to be a problem. Goddamn it why not chip it around, look for the sideways movement.

There's no one working hard to open up a leading forward. No one blocking, fending each other. We also lack the forward pressure we were so famous for. Instead it just comes out their defensive 50 with ease.
We take too long, bomb it high and their spare defender allows to come in and spoil/mark.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
First time I've ever left a game early. And it was real early, 5 into the last quarter. Literally couldn't watch another second of that rubbish.

Players completely gave up. No fight at all. Richmond did whatever they liked.

Only positives were Fyfe in beast mode Bennells start and Hamling who did a good job on Reiwoldt until the ball just kept coming without pressure at the End.

Awful awful effort

Back