Streaming [HBO] True Detective

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy s**t that episode.

Yeah really good, easily the best episode so far. It was nearly all proper plot.

I reckon this show might have been better told by a movie, and perhaps unrelated to True Detective. The many subplots, superfluous characters and needle drops have taken away from the momentum of the main story. And with the hallucinations, the supernatural stuff, "ask the right questions", references to Rust and Tuttle - it all feels a bit shoehorned into the world of True Detective season 1.

Good episode.

Wonder how it will wind up. Wondering is she's awake is more something geological potentially caused by the mining.

‘…and like a lot of dreams….there’s a monster at the end of it…’

Chilling.
Yeah its creepy, it has that feel about it depressed and down trodden, A feeling like no 1

Its chilling that's the word, and not with just weather.

Bit concerned about where they can go with this, supernatural??

But Fargo had a bit in no 2's space ship.

That last scene was exceptional.
Yes I agree, but you know the Ice cave place , hell I'd be running a hundred miles an hour away from it.

If you want a good read try the Terror, Its about Sir John Franklin trying to find the NW Passage
through the Arctic.
Never did, lost both ships, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
The book is a mix of guesswork and information that they found under a rock piled cairn messages left by some of the still alive survivors and some good historic "probably happened" sort of writing.

But its also got a bit of a supernatural feel about it. Reading the book at first it put me off because
the story of Franklins search early to mid 19th century, was a brilliant story with assumed things all quite possible to have maybe happened.
So the supernatural is the connection to True Detective "on the ice".

I am wondering if Inuit spiritual folklore is well involved in True D, as it is in Terror.
I think Terror was also a mini series , well I know it was, but it was very good, book is extremely good.
This True Detective is getting close to FEELING like no ONE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked the setting, cinematography and Jodie Foster's performance this season.

However, overall this concept might have been best served being completely separate from True Detective.

Second last episode was pretty great, but I found that to be a very underwhelming and unsatisfying finale.

I don't think the True Detective call outs were anything more than easter eggs, a loose way of showing a connection (and bring people in), but ultimately irrelevant to the telling of the story. It had more in common with something like The Outsider than season 1 of True D.

Not everything landed for me. I would have preferred Annie's case to have been front and centre from the start, had more time to develop Liz and Navarro's partnership, give Ecceleston more than like 4 or 5 scenes.

But I found the telling of the spirits, Mother Nature, whatever to conclude more satisfyingly than say the Yellow King. There was enough here to be entertained over the 6 episodes, not flawless but still decent.

It’s somewhere between the second and third best seasons noting there is a ****ing Grand Canyon between the first and best and the rest.

This was fine, not great but certainly not awful. The fact there was no supernatural shit is absolutely in line with all the TDs. They buy into some mythology and lean into aspects of it but the whole theme is people are the monsters.

I think it was both too short and too long. 6 eps wasn’t enough and the finale felt rushed but also the sheer volume of pointless subplots and secondary characters was too much.

I still enjoyed it but I think that was the weakest TD season so far. I think that both the criticism and praise it is getting now are way OTT. It was neither great, nor terrible.

Definitely agree with those who are saying that this would have been a lot better as a stand alone project outside of the TD universe.

I still enjoyed it but I think that was the weakest TD season so far. I think that both the criticism and praise it is getting now are way OTT. It was neither great, nor terrible.

Definitely agree with those who are saying that this would have been a lot better as a stand alone project outside of the TD universe.
Why? How is this less a TD season compared to the other 3?

Why? How is this less a TD season compared to the other 3?

I preferred the longer season format of 1-3 and felt like the pacing and story/character development was a lot better for it.

And this ending was the one that left me the most unsatisfied. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the other three (although I recognise that I'm in the minority there when it comes to S2).

Well seeings that isn't what happened I'm guessing you weren't paying much attention.
They forced them into a truck and then left them out in the middle of a freezing tundra then let ‘her decide if she wants to take them’.

Fair to say, they’re pretty responsible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back