HDFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that all the same discussion was made about Kalkee when they won their fifth straight in 2012. The wheel will turn for the Giants eventually, after all they were only 2 goals better than the Roos on the weekend!

True. But that was probably a flattering result in the end - Giants really took their foot off the gas in the last. I think the 3/4 margin was probably a better indicator of the game unfortunately.

I wouldn't have had an issue with Kalkee going up (maybe after their second flag). But I wonder how many players would have stayed if they were then in the WFL. Either way, safe to say they would have dropped back down again by now, but I guess that could be another example of the wheel turning as well.

I don't think (hope) the Giants won't be as strong next year - but if you haven't had a loss in three seasons I think that indicates the club maybe should have been in the WFL.

Must agree with your first paragraph, however from memory I think the Roos had more scoring shots than the Giants so they really did give themselves a chance on the day.
Also from memory, but I stand to be corrected, but I think the Giants did lose games in their first year as a new club(which happened to be the last year of the old Mallee FL), no big issue but I think it's a fact!

Yeah good point actually. They did miss a few early on that could have made the second half much more interesting.

RE the Giant's first year, someone told me at the Grand Final they didn't lose a game in their last season in the Mallee; but I've got nothing to back that up with so you could very well be right (we know how unreliable hearsay is). Going three years without a loss would be quite impressive to say the least. How long did Horsham go without a loss when they were up and about? Two years maybe?

Yeah good point actually. They did miss a few early on that could have made the second half much more interesting.

RE the Giant's first year, someone told me at the Grand Final they didn't lose a game in their last season in the Mallee; but I've got nothing to back that up with so you could very well be right (we know how unreliable hearsay is). Going three years without a loss would be quite impressive to say the least. How long did Horsham go without a loss when they were up and about? Two years maybe?

Giants didn't even make the Grand Final in the last year of the Mallee League! They were knocked out in the first semi final from memory.

Don't follow the DL much but what are the Giants juniors like? Will they always continue to pay players to come home. Thought it was really interesting that the U14 GF was played between Pimp & Taylors Lake, two of the poorest senior sides going around.

Yeah I thought that was interesting too, but great to see for both those clubs. Hopefully they can continue to hold onto them long-term.

I see on the HDFNL facebook page that despite knowing for 2-3 years now some clubs have kicked up a stink about an 18 round season.
Pressure on volunteers sounds like main reason for this push from some clubs however if league fades away to only 10 teams at some stage in the next 5-10 years it is most likely that you will adopt an 18 round fixture and play each opposition twice (once home and once away)for a 100% fairer fixture anyway so why not get use to it now?

The more footy and weekends to get together as a local community the better in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see on the HDFNL facebook page that despite knowing for 2-3 years now some clubs have kicked up a stink about an 18 round season.
Pressure on volunteers sounds like main reason for this push from some clubs however if league fades away to only 10 teams at some stage in the next 5-10 years it is most likely that you will adopt an 18 round fixture and play each opposition twice (once home and once away)for a 100% fairer fixture anyway so why not get use to it now?

The more footy and weekends to get together as a local community the better in my opinion.

I agree Bomber. An 18 round season is two extra games and if it is only a once off then who cares.
Interesting to see N/Q have appointed Gareth Hose as Coach. Huge get for the young Bombers side, Great bloke with great experience and knowledge.
I have heard Edenhope/Apsley are still in talks of merger with Border districts and may not even be in HDFL next year.

Interesting about EA.

I think the volunteer burnout thing is a legitimate concern though. I dare say you'd struggle to find a club that wouldn't be suffering from that, and if the season goes longer and overlaps more with cricket and tennis then there are less people at the very start of the year to get everything organised.

While I understand they wanted to make it fair with a three year rotation, I think what the WFL does is a fairer option with lopsided numbers - work out who plays who the next year three times based on ladder position. Since United went that has worked pretty well. What's the point on having a powerhouse club at the top of their game play one of the weakest teams three times, just because it's "their turn"?

That said, to reiterate the point I made on Facebook, this all could have been avoided if the top HDFL club(s) were used to even up the numbers in the WFL - something that also could have been planned three years ago. Then both leagues could have stuck with 16 rounds.

There is no legitimate reason for the HDFL to be playing 18 rounds. The three year rolling draw theory is false. For the 12 clubs to play each other an equal amount of times over the three year period the total amount of rounds needs to be divisible by 11. HDFL are going for 16, 16, 18 (equals 50). So over the three years clubs will play some teams 4 times while others 5 times. It would need to go over four years:16, 16, 16, 18 (equals 66) and therefore play each other 6 times. If you played only one grand final after the four years then it would be fair but we play a grand final each year. A lot of things change over four years, a club can go from top to bottom in that time so there is no point in the rolling draw.

If there were 10 clubs in the league yes it would make sense to have 18 rounds to make it completely even. But we have 12 clubs so we might as well shorten the season. If the league want a successful interleague side then they should change to 16 rounds. Also there were no clubs in favour of 18 rounds when it was put to a vote earlier this year. The Board should be acting on the wishes of the clubs and make a 16 round draw.

It's also worth noting that when you factor in a couple of practice matches and then hopefully four founds of finals, that's 24 games. Don't get me wrong, as a player I think the more football the better (and the less off-season for me to blow out) - but I can see that is a lot of commitment and a lot of work for clubs.

Well looks like southern mallee giants are off to wimmera league if you read the papers.

Think its a good idea overall and they should be quite competitive initially anyway. Would solve wimmera leagues uneven draw and would bring back the bye for both hdfl and wimmera clubs which isnt a bad thing IMO.

All happening very quickly and would need to be sorted completly by the end of january at the latest to get new fixtures out asap.

Sounds like giants actually asked the question of going up and challenging themselves. Kalkee did not have the balls to do that even after 5 straight flags so good on them and good luck if it comes off!

I agree that Kalkee should have had a crack when they won five in a row - even though I don't think they were as clearly above the rest of the competition as the Giants have been these past two years (that said, Kalkee might have gone two years undefeated, I can't recall).

However, I have a problem with the timing of this. Recruitment has happened, players have moved clubs and clubs have started organising their social calendars based on the "final" WFL draw that was released. All of this could have easily been avoided if either a) two years ago enough forethought was given and the Giants were put into the WFL from the outset; or b) two years ago they properly planned a promotion/relegation system between the two leagues. If they planned three years in advance to have an 18 round season for 2018 in the HDFL, they could have planned three years in advance to have the 2017 premiers go up a league.

This should have been organised at least two months ago; whereas at present it seems rushed, with other clubs literally only finding out over the weekend (despite meetings taking place in December).

Yeah I'd say so. Both leagues will give it the rubber stamp, so it's all happening.

https://www.naracoorteherald.com.au/story/5162455/border-districts-to-go-it-alone-in-2018/?cs=1866

Border Districts Football Netball Club will not merge with anyone in 2018 – but might in 2019.
The club held a series of meetings late last year and came close to a merger with Edenhope Apsley Football Netball Club, but just fell short.

While nothing is set in stone, the Saints' preferred merger partner would be Border Districts, and Mr Walter believed that it was more likely the new entity would play in the KNTFL rather than the Horsham district league where Edenhope Apsley currently plays.

Things are changing quickly round here with clubs choosing to move up a league and now merger talks whilst forced due to population decline taking place very very late.

Leagues and commisioners need to actually step up now and set a cut off date where nothing is able to be changed and allow fixtures to be finalised and let clubs lock in plans such as social calendars, finalise recruits and lists etc.

At this rate the hdfl, wimmera and kntfl final draws should all be out just a few weeks before the season starts...

Club President went to police which is funny considering that Hallett was the one that started the incident

Get your facts right before digging up old bones Zooma Jnr. The police were actually at the out patients at the hospital when Hallett arrived and started there own investigation via HDFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back