HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to look at the negatives but what do you reckon will be the next sides to merge. this could be clubs merging with the WFL, the Kowree-Naracourte-Tatiara League or other leagues

I hate to look at the negatives but what do you reckon will be the next sides to merge. this could be clubs merging with the WFL, the Kowree-Naracourte-Tatiara League or other leagues
I'm not sure exactly what mergers we're likely to see, but I'll be very surprised if we still have the same number of clubs in the WFL/HDFL in 2021 as we did in 2019. It's unfortunately pretty sad to think some clubs may have played their last games, but I imagine many players and many volunteers have also enjoyed the year off and possibly won't return.

I'm not sure exactly what mergers we're likely to see, but I'll be very surprised if we still have the same number of clubs in the WFL/HDFL in 2021 as we did in 2019. It's unfortunately pretty sad to think some clubs may have played their last games, but I imagine many players and many volunteers have also enjoyed the year off and possibly won't return.
maybe clubs like Pimpinio, Taylors Lake and Noradjuha-Quantong. I feel like they are good for money but just scrape through two sides each week

maybe clubs like Pimpinio, Taylors Lake and Noradjuha-Quantong. I feel like they are good for money but just scrape through two sides each week
I'd like to see AFL Victoria make the current salary cap the standard from this point forward (ie, 50% of the 2019 level). That might give some clubs a fighting chance, but unfortunately numbers are still more likely to be the issue.

I'd like to see AFL Victoria make the current salary cap the standard from this point forward (ie, 50% of the 2019 level). That might give some clubs a fighting chance, but unfortunately numbers are still more likely to be the issue.
A complete competition restructure should occur as well. 2 or 3 divisions promotion relegation system.

A complete competition restructure should occur as well. 2 or 3 divisions promotion relegation system.
If that does happen I'm guessing the divs would be the Wimmera League teams in Div 1 and HDFL teams in Div 2. Then finally Harrow-Balmoral could go and play WFL sides

Will the HDFL teams allow Kaniva Leeor United to join?
I think so. They'd be foolish not to in my opinion, as it gives them a chance to strengthen the league numbers wise. And we really don't know at this stage how many clubs will still exist come season 2021 - so every team will count. Every chance we'll see some mergers before round one.

As for travel, KLU are closer for some clubs like HB, EA and JR. Travel wise for Kaniva, Stawell is only 20km more than Kingston. And likewise for Swifts, Kaniva is only 20km more than Edenhope. And at least for both those games they're traveling down a highway and not backroads.

There's also great facilities at Kaniva, so I suspect they'd be a welcome addition.

Will the HDFL teams allow Kaniva Leeor United to join?
Believe they are only looking at being in this comp for only this season because of uncertainty with the border due to covid. More about keeping their community involved with winter sport than coming to be winning the comp. Are coming from a long way back, no coach and no SA players upon which they rely. Suck it up let them in afterall it will probably only short term.

What are club's numbers looking like this year, especially in juniors and reserves? Any clubs not able to field particular grades (which would be quite understandable given the last 12 months)?

What are club's numbers looking like this year, especially in juniors and reserves? Any clubs not able to field particular grades (which would be quite understandable given the last 12 months)?

From what i've heard Noradjhua/Quantong are probably one of the only clubs to have a full Senior/Reserves list, keeping those Juniors around has helped them a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting year starts tomorrow. Hopefully all clubs can get there twos and 17s out on the park each week. Who would know what teams will look like but ill have a stab anyway.

HB
NQ
Kalkee
Swifts
Nati
EA
Laharum
Rup
KLU
JR
Pimp
Taylors

Peter Weir previews Horsham District Football action this weekend resuming after the Victorian lockdown

Any word on potential J-R merger? I remember it being all the talk this time last year. I understand KLU aren't looking to merge, has COVID done the opposite to what we expected and increased numbers?

Any word on potential J-R merger? I remember it being all the talk this time last year. I understand KLU aren't looking to merge, has COVID done the opposite to what we expected and increased numbers?

Anything happening on this front aren’t KLU merging with Nhill

Also any news on club recruitment and who’s looking to improve would like some info as new website for looking at clearance activity is hopeless
Love looking at country footy leagues and what’s happening around the traps

Have heard KLU and Nhill is on the cards for 2023. Not sure if that means HDFL or WFL. Apparently TL have approached Laharum to merge but zero appetite from Laharum to pursue anything. Also heard giants and JR is a shoe in but I’ve heard that for three years. Main issue for those mallee clubs is junior numbers and merging unfortunately won’t necessarily fix that issue. On the recruiting front it’s been pretty quiet. Bit went on Oct/ Nov last year. NQ look to have consolidated nicely and are in the box seat. Rup and swifts have picked up a few but can’t comment much on other clubs.

Have heard KLU and Nhill is on the cards for 2023. Not sure if that means HDFL or WFL. Apparently TL have approached Laharum to merge but zero appetite from Laharum to pursue anything. Also heard giants and JR is a shoe in but I’ve heard that for three years. Main issue for those mallee clubs is junior numbers and merging unfortunately won’t necessarily fix that issue. On the recruiting front it’s been pretty quiet. Bit went on Oct/ Nov last year. NQ look to have consolidated nicely and are in the box seat. Rup and swifts have picked up a few but can’t comment much on other clubs.

Thanks for that kicker

Will be interesting to see how clubs go fielding reserves sides this year. Was talk of 5-6 HDFL sides struggling to get U17s teams together also. Laharum & Taylor's Lake won't field teams. Lots relying on WFL byes to pinch a few extra kids each week.

Edit: No U17s for E/A also...

Chat at footy on Saturday that the Kaniva/Nhill merger may see the new club join the SA league or HDFL rather than the Wimmera League.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back