HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing E/A looking at merging with border districts???
If so will the league look to go back to a 18 game season with a top 5?
The way things are going Laharum and Pimpinio to play finals this year…

Hearing E/A looking at merging with border districts???
If so will the league look to go back to a 18 game season with a top 5?
The way things are going Laharum and Pimpinio to play finals this year…
Seems like E/A won't be merging with Borders this season according to their Facebook

Best place to find info is the clubs Facebook pages but some are more active than others.

Laharum look like they are rebounding hard. Wheel turns quick. Thought for sure they were gonna merge with TL.

Pimp just building nicely. They’ve built year on year the last few. Picked up a couple of handy players.

HB busy on Facebook. No new big recruits though? But that far ahead of the chasing pack, can’t see a scenario where they don’t win again?

EA: lots of negative heresay but what are the facts? McIntyres to MM yes. Do they have a coach?

TL: have heard that they’ve picked up a few? No idea on quality though?

Natimuk: lost quite a few on the rumour mill, but nothing factual?

Kalkee: lost some good senior players, haven’t heard much on recruits?

Rup, NQ, KLU, swifts: haven’t heard anything positive or negative.

Nobody will get within 10 goals of Harrow. Take them out all together and I think it would be a very competitive competition but until any of the top competing sides can recruit heavily and quality Harrow will go undefeated and win yet another flag.

Nobody will get within 10 goals of Harrow. Take them out all together and I think it would be a very competitive competition but until any of the top competing sides can recruit heavily and quality Harrow will go undefeated and win yet another flag.
Now thats what i call an early crow

Does anyone have any insight as to what is happening with Aplsey? Is it correct that Borders are going to play some games there this year?

That's the part that's confused me a little bit - it sounds like two teams will now be playing out of Apsley? Both EA and Borders? And Borders might pick up some people that live closer that direction, or people who are on the SA side of the area and would prefer that league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the part that's confused me a little bit - it sounds like two teams will now be playing out of Apsley? Both EA and Borders? And Borders might pick up some people that live closer that direction, or people who are on the SA side of the area and would prefer that league?
Yeah, 2 teams (EA & Borders) and from 2 leagues (KNT & Horsham District). Interesting stuff. If you read some of those Facebook comments...sounds like there are still lingering issues - at least from some people - from when Apsley & Edenhope merged even after all these years!!! What this means for Edenhope and EA in the Horsham District league is anyone's guess. Maybe nothing. They are both great little towns with great football history.

Yeah, 2 teams (EA & Borders) and from 2 leagues (KNT & Horsham District). Interesting stuff. If you read some of those Facebook comments...sounds like there are still lingering issues - at least from some people - from when Apsley & Edenhope merged even after all these years!!! What this means for Edenhope and EA in the Horsham District league is anyone's guess. Maybe nothing. They are both great little towns with great football history.
Think Mortlake when they folded split themselves across 2 different leagues?
Terang- Mortlake
Woorndoo- Mortlake

Don’t know how it all worked out just can recall it from memory

From what I am hearing, most of the Apsley folk seem to be on the Borders' bandwagon with still some negative sentiments present from the inital merger.

There might be very few representing the A proportion of EA in 2024.
A long time to hold on to "negative sentiments" :oops: ... must be 20+ years now! There may end up being less footy played in Apsley than before, which would be a shame in some sense (they're split 3 ways with Frances & Goroke vs only 2 ways with Edenhope). Need to check the KNT fixture to see where the Borders "home" games have come from. Goroke have a shiny new facility that they probably want games at.

Ladder prediction

Harrow
Daylight …….
Stawell
N/Q
Rup
Kalkee
Pimp
Kaniva
Edenhope
Laharum
Natimuk
Taylor’s

Ladder prediction

Harrow
Daylight …….
Stawell
N/Q
Rup
Kalkee
Pimp
Kaniva
Edenhope
Laharum
Natimuk
Taylor’s
Harrow Balmoral vs. Daylight is the early Grand Final prediction, huh? Should be a beauty ;)

I'm with you on Pimpinio to round out the top 6. At least with the top 6, there is a spot up for grabs for one of these so-so teams (Pimp/KLU/EA) so that'll be something to keep them going.

Will it be top 6 still or reverting back to top 5 with the loss of JR? ladder in HDFL is much harder to predict as there hasn’t been as much word on recruiting compared to wimmer but will have a crack….

HB

NQ
Swifts

Laharum
Pimp
Rup
KLU

Kalkee
Natimuk
EA
Taylor’s

Will it be top 6 still or reverting back to top 5 with the loss of JR? ladder in HDFL is much harder to predict as there hasn’t been as much word on recruiting compared to wimmer but will have a crack….

HB

NQ
Swifts

Laharum
Pimp
Rup
KLU

Kalkee
Natimuk
EA
Taylor’s
League draw now includes a bye each round but does still have the top 6. Swifts were considering some kind of merge with Navarre at one time (and word was that the merged entity would NOT play in the HDFNL) plus there's been murmurings about Laharum & Taylors Lake joining up. If either of those happen, it would be time to dust off the good old McIntyre Final 5 system.

League draw now includes a bye each round but does still have the top 6. Swifts were considering some kind of merge with Navarre at one time (and word was that the merged entity would NOT play in the HDFNL) plus there's been murmurings about Laharum & Taylors Lake joining up. If either of those happen, it would be time to dust off the good old McIntyre Final 5 system.
Swifts and Navarre certainly discussed a merger last year but that doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to merge this year.
Laharum/ TL merger is no chance any time soon I don’t think. From all reports Laharum have sorted themselves out in the last 6 months.
I think if anything were to change in the next 12-24 months it’d be EA or KLU heading westward.

Swifts and Navarre certainly discussed a merger last year but that doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to merge this year.
Laharum/ TL merger is no chance any time soon I don’t think. From all reports Laharum have sorted themselves out in the last 6 months.
I think if anything were to change in the next 12-24 months it’d be EA or KLU heading westward.
KLU are an interesting one. They jumped over the HDFL during Covid and it was (at the time) supposed to be short-term. Geographically it probably makes sense (especially if Penola return to the Mt Gambier centric league next year which seems almost a certainty). You don't hear much about them and what they are thinking. Border Districts (KNTFL) are playing 2 home games at Apsley this year (2024). That's also an interesting one! I feel like Edenhope people are OK with being in the Vic league; Apsley people not so much.

Taylor's Lake & Stawell Switfts have merged their U17s for the 2024 season. They will be called the Taylors Swifts (can't even make this s**t up). They will play home games only, so if Swifts are at home they'll play there, if TL at home they will play there. Going to be another difficult year with Junior footy.

The introduction of the U11 comps to WFNL & HDFNL will cause issues although the new rules to not allow top age U11s, U14s etc to play up in grade also will be a real headache with clubs struggling to field teams already. The new concussion rules with the 21 day protocols is going to make some very difficult times for clubs also.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back