He could be the best player in the game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Here it is folks, your chance to put your case forward as to why a young or unheralded player on your list could one day be considered the best player in the game.

This isn't for your Martin, or your Buddy, or your Danger - who already have had or still have a pretty decent claim to being that guy - this is for that kid that you've seen running around in your twos, or maybe has got some games at senior level that you feel like might bust out in years to come and become an elite player at the pointiest end of the comp. Who you got?

At Essendon, Aaron Francis is that guy for me. Just as likely to be a bust at the moment, but the kid has the kind of raw talent that you just don't see very often.

If the proverbial switch clicks in to place in this kids mind, he could very quickly become a star of the comp.

Have at it!

Here it is folks, your chance to put your case forward as to why a young or unheralded player on your list could one day be considered the best player in the game.

At Essendon, Aaron Francis is that guy for me. Just as likely to be a bust at the moment, but the kid has the kind of raw talent that you just don't see very often.

cannot-handle-the-hysterical-laughter.gif

For Carlton, probably Charlie Curnow or Samo Petrevski-Seton.

Curnow has a huge tank, great athleticism, a booming accurate field kick and the vision to spot up targets over the back. A bit of a spring heeled aerialist with great hands. Will be able to play all over the ground.

SPS is all about evasiveness, smarts and vision in traffic. Crowd favourite as he is so humble and passionate.

He is in the next draft, you don't know who he is yet, but chances are he will be the next superstar of the game.
Reassuring to hear thank you. Though strangely I feel as though I've been here before...

Also if I really have to put someone forward it would be Yeo but that is reliant on midfield aptitude which is far from observable yet.

From HFC.....

Conor Glass (a first year Irish recruit) will not win a Brownlow, but for mine he has the most upside on our list. He has the `born to be' DNA, a celebrated junior in Ireland. I`m thinking more sacraficial Norm Smith Medal winning captain, ala Hodge. Here's hoping!

Burton will continue to be a very very classy player, but could surprise me by being much much more. I know a lot of HFC supporters think he can/will.

Burton will continue a very very classy player, but could surprise me by being much much more. I know a lot of HFC supporter think he can/will.

Yeah I considered mentioning McGrath, but his rep is already so high it felt like an easy pick. Same with Burton IMO - he just WILL be a great player.

Christian Petracca, Bontempelli, Cripps, Heeney, Daniher are the players who I think could be the next 'best ever' or whatever stupid tag people put on them.

I think the reputations of the two highlighted are already high enough that we've seen articles/opinions that talk of them in that fashion.

Doesn't make you wrong, mind you, just that it's already a wide idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reputations of the two highlighted are already high enough that we've seen articles/opinions that talk of them in that fashion.

Doesn't make you wrong, mind you, just that it's already a wide idea.

I was on the Daniher train last year though. Before this season I was abused by a Melbourne supporter on here for saying he would win the coleman.

Harley Bennell genuinely had the potential to be the best by now, circa 2012-2014.

Paul Seedsman still hints at it for a few minutes every year too.

From Collingwood, it could be Brayden Maynard. Reminds of Darren Milane at times.

Last edited:
Will Setterfield

Just a sense if inevitably he will be a star from those who have seen him play. Rough start for the youngster, knocked out cold in his second game. He'll rise above it.

Chad Wingard. His move into the midfield is going to (hopefully) shine a light on just how freakishly skilled he is. Showed glimpses this year, if he can build on that then he will single handedly propel us into the top 4

His time and his prime is now - turns 25 in July 2018.

I'm expecting him to be a 25 disposal / 5 inside 50 / 5 clearance / 5 tackle / 1.25 goal / 0.75 goal assist per game player next season. He wasn't a long way off that this year, but had a few down games, missed a few, spent time rotating around the field, so it's about putting it all together consistently across the season next year.

Ryder / Ebert / Wines / Wingard / Rockliff / Polec is a great midfield mix, with Boak, Powell-Pepper, Motlop, Westhoff and Robbie Gray (depending on if he plays next season) all having their turn through there too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the footy world has gotten past the 'gimmick' value of James Sicily. He was genuinely elite last season once he moved back. I'm pretty excited about what he can achieve if he settles into that role long term. He won't be the best player in the comp but could end up in the conversation for being among the most valuable players behind the ball.

James Sicily after he was moved into defense last year (10 games):

24 disposals (13 kicks, 11 handballs) at 85% efficiency (20.5 effective disposals), 4.5 rebound 50s, 8.5 intercepts, 2.3 contested marks, 400 metres gained.

I'm not sure the footy world has gotten past the 'gimmick' value of James Sicily. He was genuinely elite last season once he moved back. I'm pretty excited about what he can achieve if he settles into that role long term. He won't be the best player in the comp but could end up in the conversation for being among the most valuable players behind the ball.

James Sicily after he was moved into defense last year (10 games):

24 disposals (13 kicks, 11 handballs) at 85% efficiency (20.5 effective disposals), 4.5 rebound 50s, 8.5 intercepts, 2.3 contested marks, 400 metres gained.

If Sicily repeats last season over and over he will be an elite AFL player. Almost unfair to ask him to improve, just keep at current standard.

Eric Hipwood looks the goods.

The thing I have with a guy like Hipwood is that you would be expecting him to be doing more right now, if he was eventually going to be "the best". Yeah, he's by no means the finished product, but aside from a goal or two a game and a highlight every two-three weeks, he really does very little on the field at the moment.

I mean, at age 20 in 2007 Buddy Franklin had just put together a 73-goal season and won a final off his own boot, and would then go on to kick a ton and be a premiership player the next year. I'm not even sure Hipwood will ever do that, let alone that it's imminent in the next year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back