He lied to my face - Cochrane

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Very very average by Jaeger. What do you guys think? Personally, I can't stand lying and can understand why Cochrane is upset. From all reports Cochrane is a very honest dealer and tries to do the right thing, like with helping Ablett return to his grieving family.

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has labelled Jaeger O’Meara as duplicitous, saying the No. 1 draft pick lied to his face when he asked if was departing the club.

“Jaeger is one that was personally disappointing because he looked me in the eye and said he was staying, so I learnt something in life out of that,” he told Damian Barrett’s In The Game podcast

“In the case of Jaeger O’Meara, I really thought our club went the extra hard yards. I wasn’t president at the time, I was president right at the end when he was out the door,” Cochrane said.

“But I saw what the club tried. They spent a lot of money, they took him to London for the best surgeon, they really put in and tried everything they humanly could.

“I think he was at the club for four years, he played two of those years and two he was out injured.

“I really felt with the effort that people around the club had particularly put in to Jaeger, that he owed them doing two more years.”

“The biggest disappointment is that I still like him, but he lied to my face,” Cochrane said.

"He'd been well looked after and I guess in life you would hope people show a little bit more loyalty.”

Full link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...g/news-story/88d56d30903224d92dcf1398609dd1ac

It’s hard to say

If you put yourself in O’Mearas place I would imagine it could be pretty intimidating if a club CEO flat out asked your intentions and you knew that what you wanted to say wasn’t what the CEO wanted to hear

He might of just panicked and told him what he wanted to hear

Not a big deal for mine

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It’s hard to say

If you put yourself in O’Mearas place I would imagine it could be pretty intimidating if a club CEO flat out asked your intentions and you knew that what you wanted to say wasn’t what the CEO wanted to hear

He might of just panicked and told him what he wanted to hear

Not a big deal for mine

Coch0 plays commercial negotiations hard, anyone who knows how he earned $millions out of V8 Supercars* knows it. Suddenly it news?

*see https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&...fX0KHelSBfQQmxMoATANegQIChAT&biw=1066&bih=454

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL functions on fibbing. If we want to go down the slippery slope of who lied to whom and when in AFL history it would be an endless thread.

Examples:
“The coach has the full support of the board.”

“Player x is a required player and will not be traded under any circumstances.”

“(Injury list) Player X - TBA/indefinite”

“The rule changes we have introduced are having the desired effect”

“I’ve always wanted to be a one club player. I love the club and my teammates I can’t envisage myself playing anywhere else.”

“I’m just here to have a look at the facilities.”

And so on...

It would be nice if people in the industry were more honest but the fetid culture of the AFL rewards lying by proxy and makes it one’s own self-interest to do so.

Very very average by Jaeger. What do you guys think? Personally, I can't stand lying and can understand why Cochrane is upset. From all reports Cochrane is a very honest dealer and tries to do the right thing, like with helping Ablett return to his grieving family.
Like with helping Ablett return to his grieving family? Cochrane waited more than 12 months to release Ablett, by which time the sister had passed away.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
If O’Meara just said he was leaving it wouldn’t change the end result of him moving on. Plenty of examples like Gunston packing his bags and getting his manager to let the Crows know he was gone.

The opposite is where a player is moved on without being told by the club that they are no longer required until the last minute. I’m sure that happens as well.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tell the club in advance, before its finalised, and before its all signed off... and they cut off his medical treatment / drop him to NEAFL / tell him to sit at home and play XBox ?

Happened to Henderson.

Smart thing is to not tell the truth. Buddy was happy staying at Hawthorn, and his manager had everyone thinking if he goes anywhere its to GWS - even though the deal had been stitched up before the 2013 season had even started.

The smarter moves is for Club Presidents to not meddle in the goings-ons of individual footballers. That is what the General Manager of Football is meant to be doing.

Back