He lied to my face - Cochrane

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t understand why some Hawks-aligned posters are so active on this.
You were in his ear for a long time, you got your man.
Why the refusal to consider the possibility that he did the dirty on GCS?
It makes no difference to the situation to acknowledge it.

Been in a situation with my employer when giving notice, was asked if I was going to work for company X and told them no because I wasn't. After that and before I'd started working for company Y company X made me an offer too good to refuse...

Coc
Very very average by Jaeger. What do you guys think? Personally, I can't stand lying and can understand why Cochrane is upset. From all reports Cochrane is a very honest dealer and tries to do the right thing, like with helping Ablett return to his grieving family.

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has labelled Jaeger O’Meara as duplicitous, saying the No. 1 draft pick lied to his face when he asked if was departing the club.

“Jaeger is one that was personally disappointing because he looked me in the eye and said he was staying, so I learnt something in life out of that,” he told Damian Barrett’s In The Game podcast

“In the case of Jaeger O’Meara, I really thought our club went the extra hard yards. I wasn’t president at the time, I was president right at the end when he was out the door,” Cochrane said.

“But I saw what the club tried. They spent a lot of money, they took him to London for the best surgeon, they really put in and tried everything they humanly could.

“I think he was at the club for four years, he played two of those years and two he was out injured.

“I really felt with the effort that people around the club had particularly put in to Jaeger, that he owed them doing two more years.”

“The biggest disappointment is that I still like him, but he lied to my face,” Cochrane said.

"He'd been well looked after and I guess in life you would hope people show a little bit more loyalty.”

Full link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...g/news-story/88d56d30903224d92dcf1398609dd1ac
Cochrane got the answer he deserved. Shouldn’t have asked the question. Very naive. Put O’Meara in an awkward situation. You don’t put all your cards on the table whilst you’re weighing up your options.

Very very average by Jaeger. What do you guys think? Personally, I can't stand lying and can understand why Cochrane is upset. From all reports Cochrane is a very honest dealer and tries to do the right thing, like with helping Ablett return to his grieving family.

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has labelled Jaeger O’Meara as duplicitous, saying the No. 1 draft pick lied to his face when he asked if was departing the club.

“Jaeger is one that was personally disappointing because he looked me in the eye and said he was staying, so I learnt something in life out of that,” he told Damian Barrett’s In The Game podcast

“In the case of Jaeger O’Meara, I really thought our club went the extra hard yards. I wasn’t president at the time, I was president right at the end when he was out the door,” Cochrane said.

“But I saw what the club tried. They spent a lot of money, they took him to London for the best surgeon, they really put in and tried everything they humanly could.

“I think he was at the club for four years, he played two of those years and two he was out injured.

“I really felt with the effort that people around the club had particularly put in to Jaeger, that he owed them doing two more years.”

“The biggest disappointment is that I still like him, but he lied to my face,” Cochrane said.

"He'd been well looked after and I guess in life you would hope people show a little bit more loyalty.”

Full link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...g/news-story/88d56d30903224d92dcf1398609dd1ac
They destroyed his body through complete incompetence and mismanagement.

O'Meara when drafted would have been told he is going to a professional club that will have good coaches and will help him develop as a player and person.

I would say the GC lied to him first.
Yeah, that's the way I see it.

GC completely misrepresented themselves and nearly ruined his career, the way they buried and stunted a number of exceptional talents.

I liked the bit where Jaeger owes them because they paid for his rehab for an injury incurred in his workplace.

I’ll ignore the part about how magically his injury improved with other medical staff.
Yeah crazy that.

They mismanaged his injuries so horribly that he was almost cooked after two seasons. Some were thinking he would never play again given the state of his knees.

And yet, here he is making a high level contribution at Hawthorn having missed just 2 games in 2019.

Yeah crazy that.

They mismanaged his injuries so horribly that he was almost cooked after two seasons. Some were thinking he would never play again given the state of his knees.

And yet, here he is making a high level contribution at Hawthorn having missed just 2 games in 2019.
Yup. But he still owes them for their care apparently.

nah mate. You're a moron for taking his side.

This Cochrane clown is one of the main reasons why the Suns continue to be, not just an embarrassment to the AFL, but a laughing stock on the Australian sporting landscape.

Look at they way their club treated Tom Lynch after he came clean that he was leaving.
They kicked him out on the spot! Told him not to come in anymore. 😆

O'Meara left the Suns THREE YEARS ago and this f-wit is still carrying a grudge and moaning about it. You'd think he would have bigger problems to worry about. Like saving his train wreck of a football club from extinction. How many more years will the AFL tolerate million doillar losses and falling membership & crowds before they pull the plug?

Laughable that Cochrane would single out O'Meara when you consider the mass exodus of talent from Gold Coast

Gary Ablett - ex-captain... GONE
Tom Lynch - ex-captain... GONE
Steven May - ex-captain.... GONE
Charlie Dixon... Priority pick... Gone
Tom Hickey... Qld zone... Gone
Zac Smith... Qld zone... Gone
Dion Prestia... Top 10 pick... Gone
Josh Caddy.... Top 10 pick... Gone
Jaeger O'Meara... 1st pick... Gone
Adam Saad... Gone
Harley Bennell... Top 5 pick... Gone.
Kade Kolodjashnij... Top 5 pick... Gone..
Jake Kolodjashnij... 3rd rd pick... Gone
Jarrod Garlett... 1st Rd pick... Gone
Nathan Krakouer... FA signing... Gone
Mav Weller... Gone
Aaron Hall.. Gone
Trent McKenzie... U17 pick... Gone
Brandon Matera... U17 pick... Gone
Karmichael Hunt... Coke fiend.. Gone

Who would want to play for that joke of a football club? This is the club who traded pick no.2 for Lachie Weller, hired & fired Guy McKenna and Rodney Eade, signed Karmichael Hunt on a multi-million dollar deal and basically put all their faith in the $2 million a year signing of Gary Ablett, one of the worst captains in the history of the AFL. What parent would want to see their 17 year old son leave home and enter into that environment? It's where budding young footballers go to waste their careers.

Anyways... I can't believe Cochrane would still be moaning after his embarrassing performance during trade week in October 2016
Wasn't he happy with all the draft picks we gave him? FMD...

Let's not forget, O'Meara nearly had his career ruined by knee problems while at the Suns. He missed three seasons of footy. He was perfectly entitled to seek a fresh start at a decent well-run football club who were reknowned for it's injury rehabilitation and looking after its players.

Hawthorn is the complete opposite to the Suns. You don't see people at Hawthorn slinging arrows at past players.
They're a professionally-run footy club who gets on with their own business.

Last edited:
Smart thing to do is play a straight bat. You can't win either way otherwise.

Yes, of course this is the right answer. And we don't know he didn't do this. We don't know what O'Meara said (or thought he said) and what Cochrane thought he heard.

Words mean nothing, footy is a business. No different to corporate wheelings and dealings. You want to keep him, put it in the form of a legally binding, written and signed contract instead of guilting him. If he was contracted and you thought he should stay 2 more years, enforce it. What a sook from a chairman who should have better business sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My boss asked if I were leaving, I told him the truth - that I was. I didnt have another job lined up, so I spent the next fortnight at the TAB. I had a great time. He gives me excellent references and always tells me that I am welcome back anytime. No doubt he appreciated my honesty. Omeara is cut from a different cloth.

Player managers need to impress on their charges the need to follow the cash.

Yes, of course this is the right answer. And we don't know he didn't do this. We don't know what O'Meara said (or thought he said) and what Cochrane thought he heard.

We only know what players say publicly. As I said in another post O'Meara isn't a media whore, I barely remember seeing him on TV at all unless he is playing. It's a dick move to say you are staying long term and then leave whether under contract or not because clubs plan for the future. Brisbane traded a lot to get Dayne Beams and then he upped and left last year which would've caused some cap problems for the club to work around. I know he had his reasons and Neale > Beams anyway but they were planning to have both.

Footy journalism is at an all time low. Why bring this up at all? O'Meara plays for Hawthorn, has done for 3 seasons. Re-signed recently from memory. He's not going to go 'OK my bad, trade me back to Gold Coast pls'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back