"He played like a girl" - is it time we concede this comment should now be used as a compliment

Remove this Banner Ad

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Although still an aesthetically difficult game to watch, the bravery and courage of women's AFL games is undeniable. The impact collisions are a throwback to the men's game of yesteryear when players would attack the ball and contest with little regard for their own safety. So given the amount of contact injuries in the AFLW, the reckless regard for one's safety when attacking the ball, the abandonment of self preservation and sheer courage and bravery women show when attacking a contest compared to their AFLM counterparts, is it time the phrase "He played like a girl" be used to no longer as an insult but rather a compliment towards players following a brave/courageous passage of play?

Although still an aesthetically difficult game to watch, the bravery and courage of women's AFL games is undeniable. The impact collisions are a throwback to the men's game of yesteryear when players would attack the ball and contest with little regard for their own safety. So given the amount of contact injuries in the AFLW, the reckless regard for one's safety when attacking the ball, the abandonment of self preservation and sheer courage and bravery women show when attacking a contest compared to their AFL counterparts, is it time the phrase "He played like a girl" be used to no longer as an insult but rather a compliment towards players following a brave/courageous passage of play?
Don't you mean "You play like a superstar", coz apparently ALL of the AFLW players are 'superstars' 🤪

Is it brave and courageous OR is it lack of awareness, the inability to protect / brace themselves properly?

The comment is sexist and should be phrased out. To use it as a compliment is also sexist, as it implies all women are better than men.

Also, let's be realistic. If men weren't naturally stronger and more athletic than women, we wouldn't separate sport by gender.

Although still an aesthetically difficult game to watch, the bravery and courage of women's AFL games is undeniable. The impact collisions are a throwback to the men's game of yesteryear when players would attack the ball and contest with little regard for their own safety. So given the amount of contact injuries in the AFLW, the reckless regard for one's safety when attacking the ball, the abandonment of self preservation and sheer courage and bravery women show when attacking a contest compared to their AFL counterparts, is it time the phrase "He played like a girl" be used to no longer as an insult but rather a compliment towards players following a brave/courageous passage of play?

Damn right it should, I love your comment on the girls game being a throwback to the yesteryear games we used to watch, they are slower and collision is full-on and I always thought the AFLW might give us some real footy and the umpiring might allow some CONTEST/CONTACT, these girls do not shirk the issue, they are as guts as any of the men.
As you said though the look of the game is not the best, they still fumble, miss marks, handball isn't supersonic, but either are some, in the speed crazy men's game! Kicking needs improving. But it will if they don't overload it!
What I have said and I will say this forever, the AFLW should never go past a 10 or 12 team national competition, because they will dilute it and ruin it's development.
I doubt that women simply because of their physical makeup will ever be able to be as big or powerful as the mens game, and in saying that the female athlete still has other things to contend with, in the context of their bodies, that will make it extremely difficult to keep numbers up of elite footballers say with 18 teams, even the men's game has been ruined in part by rule changes, needed to help the "non"-first picked 22 ( in general terms I mean that) some players in a 14 or even 16 team competition in men's footy would not get a game!!!
That is what we have now , supersonic athletic running players with a handful of real footballers with football nous! Ball reading players, that's the AFL now! Some play so wide they're out on the side street rather than on the ground! heh heh.

The women's game could have a complete proper national comp, with 8 to 12 at the most teams, that would ensure the quality develops into an elite sport, and make the game better to watch, but if the AFL Corporates think that an overloaded unsatisfactory sport, where you have 14, 16, 18, women's teams will draw a money paying TV audience your really are dreaming. And you will kill the sport as you almost have with contest/contact in the mens game and STILL UNBELIEVABLE FREE KICKS . that are unnecessary in the first place, why were they even invented?????

So without a doubt the playing like a girl is a compliment, and we all know girls are lovely people, but we don't need any smutty remarks about pin-up football photo shots either, these women are professional footballers, just don't over kill it McGlachlan!

It is just a moronic case of masculine posturing. It's not particularly natural either, as growing up I never saw a male playing diffidently or haplessly (i.e. the last picked) as "playing like a girl". They just aren't as comfortable in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't be criticising players who shirk a contest either, particularly when the game is over. It's just smart play at that point, there's no reason to give yourself a concussion just to prove that you have no concern for your own body.
Are you still upset that Alex Rance won SQOTY 18? What a horrible squib he was and as a Richmond supporter you should be rather embarrassed!

Are you still upset that Alex Rance won SQOTY 18? What a horrible squib he was and as a Richmond supporter you should be rather embarrassed!

Some sort of squib award? It takes a lot of courage to put your reputation on the line by wisely avoiding unnecessary contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back