Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two rucks.

Doesn't work. Too easy to tackle. Not fast enough to spread. Not able to apply enough defensive pressure in the fwd 50 leading to rebounds.

A waste of a bench spot when you already have McCartin doing that same role quite successfully.

If the selection committee persist with that we're doomed.

Wait for Ted to defend him once again . He has to go , get infront and defend !

Of course he does but there has to be also a complete review of where the list is situated and the complete ineptness in the attempt to improve areas that have been a weakness for 4 years. Skills, pace in the midfield and the general requirement of an AFL player in that they have football ******* IQ. But no they will sit on their ******* hands with their head in the sand and put a day like today down to poor execution. ******* Bullshit.

Of course he does but there has to be also a complete review of where the list is situated and the complete ineptness in the attempt to improve areas that have been a weakness for 4 years. Skills, pace in the midfield and the general requirement of an AFL player in that they have football ******* IQ. But no they will sit on their ******* hands with their head in the sand and put a day like today down to poor execution. ******* Bullshit.
He will say we lost the contested footy like he always does when we lose.

You can't deny we've drafted for skills, pace and football smarts the past couple of years, just a case of too little, too late.

Do we really think Horse is going to be around for another decade? That would bring him up to 17 years. Not likely. I don't even think Clarkson will be at Hawthorn for seventeen years. So our club really need to think about how if change is coming, when it's going to come. We have a very young group at the moment and next year will be even younger with McVeigh and presumably Grundy (and maybe a Smith or a Jack) no longer in the best 22. I think they'll start hitting their peaks from some time between 2020 and 2024. That will be the window for a serious challenge for the flag if this group is good enough, which we all believe they could be. So do we want to wait until then, in the midst of that potential prime-time, to bring in a new coach? Disrupt a flag-contending team by changing coaches? Or do we want to be pro-active and make the change before-hand? I'd personally like to see 2019 be Horse's last year. Let him finish his development of the young fellas (which he is very good at, there can be no denying this) and then by 2020, a new face comes in, someone who can just look at the group in front of him, with no prior history with the club that may affect his judgment, and get them in the best space to challenge for the flag.

I'll be seriously disappointed if the club does not use foresight on this issue. I'm not a fan of long coaching tenures because I believe you always need fresh eyes with each new generation of players.

You can't deny we've drafted for skills, pace and football smarts the past couple of years, just a case of too little, too late.

Yes MF you are probably right but those players are a way off before they can do it as midfielders go. The pace is all young and that has come from the fact that slow inside mids were our foucus for far too long.

LEts check the Swans inside 50's in 2018

Round 1 vs West Coast - 52 to 60
Round 2 vs Port Adelaide - 52 to 52
Round 3 vs GWS - 50 to 54
Round 4 vs Bulldogs - 42 to 60

Round 5 vs Adelaide - 64 to 48
Round 6 vs Geelong - 52 to 52
Round 7 vs North Melbourne - 58 to 48
Round 8 vs Hawthorn - 39 to 63
Round 9 vs Fremantle - 60 to 50
Round 10 vs Brisbane - 51 to 56
Round 11 vs Carlton - 62 to 41
Round 12 vs St Kilda - 49 to 52
Round 13 vs West Coast - 52 to 63
Round 15 vs Richmond - 43 to 61
Round 16 vs Geelong - 46 to 59

So for inside 50's in 2018 we have played 15 matches, we have won the inside 50 count 4 times, drawn 2 times and lost 9 times.

Inside 50 count is a pretty good way to indicate midfield dominance, and it shows that our midfield lets the opposition midfield get the ball too much and they do not attack nearly as well as their opposition does.

I am going to update this now

Round 1 vs West Coast - 52 to 60
Round 2 vs Port Adelaide - 52 to 52
Round 3 vs GWS - 50 to 54
Round 4 vs Bulldogs - 42 to 60

Round 5 vs Adelaide - 64 to 48
Round 6 vs Geelong - 52 to 52
Round 7 vs North Melbourne - 58 to 48
Round 8 vs Hawthorn - 39 to 63
Round 9 vs Fremantle - 60 to 50
Round 10 vs Brisbane - 51 to 56
Round 11 vs Carlton - 62 to 41
Round 12 vs St Kilda - 49 to 52
Round 13 vs West Coast - 52 to 63
Round 15 vs Richmond - 43 to 61
Round 16 vs Geelong - 46 to 59

Round 17 vs North Melbourne - 52 to 51
Round 18 vs Gold Coast - 48 to 61

So we have played 17 matches and here are the inside 50 stats

Won - 5 times

Lost - 10 times
Draw - 2 times

So we have won the inside 50 count 29.4% of the time this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the young talent to build a premiership winning list around. I don't see it happening in the next 2 years though so might not be a bad time hand the reigns over to someone else.

I'd be surprised to see the club move horse on without us bottoming out first though.

Horse was completely out coached today. You don't go 6-1 in The first quarter to goaless the next two because our effort dropped off. Dew changed his matchups and floored us.

And this isn't a no plan B thing. We played a different style in the first half to our second half but we were found out. After quarter time we lost every match up

Horse was completely out coached today. You don't go 6-1 in The first quarter to goaless the next two because our effort dropped off. Dew changed his matchups and floored us.

And this isn't a no plan B thing. We played a different style in the first half to our second half but we were found out. After quarter time we lost every match up
It says a bit about your game plan when all it takes to undo it is a bloke with some inside knowledge and a sub afl standard list.

We have the young talent to build a premiership winning list around. I don't see it happening in the next 2 years though so might not be a bad time hand the reigns over to someone else.

I'd be surprised to see the club move horse on without us bottoming out first though.

The club is all about long term succession planning - Roos/Longmire, Colless/Pridham, Ireland/Harley - which makes things very interesting right now because I agree with the above. But Roos handed over the club because a new generation was ready for a new head coach but also because he constantly said he wasn't a career coach. So he was happy to leave before he hit his used by date. I'm guessing Longmire is much more a career coach than Roos was, so he might be less inclined to leave sooner rather than later.

Honestly think he is stubborn and refuses to change

So do I unfortunately. I mean no matter the players we have, no matter how the game as a whole changes Longmire keeps the same gameplan. So many former players have said that Sydney were always the easiest side to predict as they never changed their gameplan or their strategies, and that Longmire never tried anything unexpected.

The club is all about long term succession planning which makes things very interesting right now because I agree with the above. But Roos handed over the club because a new generation was ready for a new head coach but also because he constantly said he wasn't a career coach. So he was happy to leave before he hit his used by date. I'm guessing Longmire is much more a career coach than Roos is so he might be less inclined to leave sooner rather than later.

Probably why Dew stuck around a while thinking he would be it , then realised Horse was not doing a roos anytime soon

Yeah it was like we were playing really good attacking footy at all costs and then as soon as there was some resistance to it we gave up and caved in. To me the fact so many skill errors happened afterwards shows our players aren't accustomed to, or maybe don't have confidence, when they play in an attacking manner. I have a feeling if a side like Richmond's attacking style was met with some resistance they'd just back themselves, wouldn't start panicking and just losing the plot. Our boys aren't ready to be an attacking side yet and I think it's because they don't have the right coach for it.

The club is all about long term succession planning - Roos/Longmire, Colless/Pridham, Ireland/Harley - which makes things very interesting right now because I agree with the above. But Roos handed over the club because a new generation was ready for a new head coach but also because he constantly said he wasn't a career coach. So he was happy to leave before he hit his used by date. I'm guessing Longmire is much more a career coach than Roos was, so he might be less inclined to leave sooner rather than later.
Agreed. I'm not exactly going to be calling for his head but I'm concerned that we may be wasting a new generation of talent by persisting with a stagnating and stifling gameplan

Games moving past him, and he doesn't seem to want to change. Slingshot doesn't work anymore and allowing our opposition the deepest players in our forward line allows so many easy exits....our stoppage setups were pretty bad in 2013....so the fact it still hasn't improved says a lot.

A talented list has probably carried this game-style further and deeper than it should've (the underbelly of the game style reared it's ugly head from time to time, usually in big games). The playing list appears now either unwilling or incapable of executing the style and now we're seeing the structure (or clearly lack thereof) for what it really is.

He needs to change his ways or the club needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to....but neither will happen.
He's signed till 2020. 5th/6th finishes will keep masking over cracks, rightly or wrongly. We're too happy just to be competitive, and 'make finals'. We do those things and we seem to give ourselves a tick and therefore Horse will be safe regardless of any glaring issues.

***Having said all that....before we sack Horse.....Sack whoever is in charge of skills...immediately (and if that happens to be Horse a swell then sack him twice), because if you can't make 15m kicks or execute simple handballs...NO game-plan will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back