Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why talk about the sun's game if the regular season doesn't count?

You brought it up though, I didn’t say it didn’t count, it only counts for so much

To look at the issues with the club and just look at the wins and losses won’t tell much of a story imo. This effort v the giants was not a surprise

You brought it up though, I didn’t say it didn’t count, it only counts for so much

To look at the issues with the club and just look at the wins and losses won’t tell much of a story imo. This effort v the giants was not a surprise
To ignore our wins makes no sense. Finals are what matter but you have to play 22 games before you make it to the finals.

Thank you for clarifying. That is welcome news indeed!

Not sure if this has changed but this is from 2015
  • Top six: Clubs ranked 1-6 on the 2015 ladder will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other top six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have either no return meetings or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 13-18.
  • Middle six: Clubs ranked 7-12 on the 2015 ladder will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 1-6 on the ladder. They will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other middle six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 13-18.
  • Bottom six: Clubs ranked 13-18 on the 2015 ladder will have either no return meeting or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one or a maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two and a maximum of three return meetings with other bottom six clubs.

http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/fixture-explained

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness I think the ratio of great wins to horrible losses has not been good for us in the last two seasons.

Sure, but a modicum of reasonableness and consideration of the good as well as the bad would go a long way.

So ignore our loses , ignore that in our last 13 finals we have kicked 7 goals or less , so just keep copping it up the clacker !
Is that the star.

13 finals 7 goals or less.....it is a miracle we won any of them.

Never realized it was that bad.

Have to compare apples with apples.

Everything else stays the same, we swap Sinclair for Naismith.
What changes?
Are the changes good or bad?
How does that then impact on other things that might change, including how we setup forward 50.

I'll probably get hounded for saying it, but since Rohan hasn't been in the team it seems like our forward 50 pressure has been lacking.
Or is that just my perception?

I agree 100%.

Sure, but a modicum of reasonableness and consideration of the good as well as the bad would go a long way.

Very true, but I for one have found it hard to get too excited by our wins in the last two years when I know there's a chance they'll be followed up by a poor performance. And the wins themselves feel much more difficult than perhaps they need to be. I think expectation is the problem really. Many on here (myself included) still felt we should've had a good crack at the flag this year, and so the majority of the performances we dished up weren't good enough.

Going into 2019, I think there will be a readjustment in our collective assessment of where the team's at. Most of us will be rational enough to see us as a middle of the ladder side, and so some ugly, scrappy wins may not be viewed so harshly going forward.

So ignore our loses , ignore that in our last 13 finals we have kicked 7 goals or less , so just keep copping it up the clacker !

There has to be more to this criteria, maybe it means last 13 losses at home 7 goals. If not it is off the mark...

First final against Essendon we kicked 19.7

Bulldogs 10.7 (L)
Geelong 15.7
Crows 18.10

2015 both were under 7 goals however one of these was 7.18 (v10.9) at Subi.

North game in 2015, at ANZ, was 7.9.

If it were at home, it would go quite someway back and it would be meaningless outside of the point that the stats suggest if we don’t score enough, we don’t win finals.

Last edited:
Very true, but I for one have found it hard to get too excited by our wins in the last two years when I know there's a chance they'll be followed up by a poor performance. And the wins themselves feel much more difficult than perhaps they need to be. I think expectation is the problem really. Many on here (myself included) still felt we should've had a good crack at the flag this year, and so the majority of the performances we dished up weren't good enough.

Going into 2019, I think there will be a readjustment in our collective assessment of where the team's at. Most of us will be rational enough to see us as a middle of the ladder side, and so some ugly, scrappy wins may not be viewed so harshly going forward.

Dunno about everyone else but IMO...

Our best has been good enough to beat anybody for the last 7 years.
In days gone by we would start seasons slowly but once we got going we generally held our form.
These days our form goes up and down like a yo-yo from the get go.

When the season started everyone said we would beat WCE easily in round 1 & when we did everyone said "oh but they will be shite this year"...turns out they have been the 2nd best team so far this year. Heck it was even wet at times during that game & we still blitzed them.

I find it hard to believe that Horse said, "OK fellas great win but let's not score like that anymore this year".
We have a few issues to iron out, we may get the benefit of players like Florent/Hewett/Heeney/Hayward/Ronke/Aliir getting to that next level, particularly consistency wise.

I would think we could challenge for a top 4 spot as a goal, right now.
But I'm not going to threaten to burn down the club if we happen to not reach that goal.

Supporting your football team is like supporting your kids...they do some mind boggling stupid WTF s**t, but you would never stop supporting them.

Last edited:
Dunno about everyone else but IMO...

Our best has been good enough to beat anybody for the last 7 years.
In days gone by we would start seasons slowly but once we got going we generally held our form.
These days our form goes up and down like a yo-yo from the get go.

When the season started everyone said we would beat WCE easily in round 1 & when we did everyone said "oh but they will be shite this year"...turns out they have been the 2nd best team so far this year. Heck it was even wet at times during that game & we still blitzed them.

I find it hard to believe that Horse said, "OK fellas great win but let's not score like that anymore this year".
We have a few issues to iron out, we may get the benefit of players like Florent/Hewett/Heeney/Hayward/Ronke/Aliir getting to that next level, particularly consistency wise.

I would think we could challenge for a top 4 stop as a goal, right now.
But I'm not going to threaten to burn down the club if we happen to not reach that goal.

Supporting your football team is like supporting your kids...they do some mind boggling stupid WTF s**t, but you would never stop supporting them.
Don't tell people how to bring up their kids.
If some people want to verbally abuse & ridicule their kids, it doesn't mean they love them any less than you who choose to not ridicule your kids.
Let people support their kids how they want.

Hey mods!
Please do something about this bloke telling us how we should raise our kids.
;)

I feel like when watching the other finals games that we look far and wide off it and the direction we and others are going

Pies and tigers are playing a great brand off footy atm imo

Hope he can get us playing similar attacking brand

If you're going to compare our worst to other team's best, sure, our worst will never beat their best.
But that would be stating the bleeding obvious, wouldn't it?

If we play our better footy do you think we can at least challenge the better teams Punts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back