Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for you then . How do you feel when you watch us playing negative football. Do you wish we didn’t play like that at times?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spare me your pity. I recognise that footy is far less simple than online and media pundits like to pretend it is and I’m grateful that I follow a side that’s been competitive with the best for nearly 20 years now.

Spare me your pity. I recognise that footy is far less simple than online and media pundits like to pretend it is and I’m grateful that I follow a side that’s been competitive with the best for nearly 20 years now.

Oh no I do pity people like you and bungee who don’t see the other side of an argument.

Oh no I do pity people like you and bungee who don’t see the other side of an argument.

Don't bother i'm trying not to . I've always said Longmire has been a good coach , but they don't see the other side.

You can probably get him on the "too defensive" or the "plays too much in the back half" charges but there was also a lot of "he's lost the players" and "can't develop young players in a rebuild" going around as well which I think is proving to be nonsense.

You can probably get him on the "too defensive" or the "plays too much in the back half" charges but there was also a lot of "he's lost the players" and "can't develop young players in a rebuild" going around as well which I think is proving to be nonsense.
Not everyone can like everyone else , especially in sporting clubs . There are some that don't like him , past and present. If he's mellowed like Buckley and Dimma good on him. I can see the other side.

Not everyone can like everyone else , especially in sporting clubs . There are some that don't like him , past and present. If he's mellowed like Buckley and Dimma good on him. I can see the other side.
Yeah I get it. Just thought some of the justifications didn't have merit as per my previous post.

There is valid debate about the delayed introduction of Allir and Dawson.

As there was about playing non performing vets, cooked/injured players.

Not even especially in sporting clubs. More like at every place of employment throughout the world!

My boss is great now, but I have had a few that I wouldn’t speak so kindly of!

As there was about playing non performing vets, cooked/injured players.

Yes, I think debate around both points is valid.

The only thing I'd add around cooked/injured players is that Senior Coaches often say they leave availability status to the medical staff and they just pick those that are listed as available. Now it's probably not as cut and dry as that but I don't buy into the "Horse ran Hanners into the ground" argument. It could be argued it was a collective stuff up in that Hanners shouldn't have put his hand up, the medical staff shouldn't have passed him fit and Horse probably should have seen he wasn't right and played him in the twos or rested him.

We're not privy to those discussions so it's all speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not privy to those discussions so it's all speculation.

True. No doubt decisions are made between the player, medicos and coaches. Buddy needed end of season surgery on his foot, injured in round 1 and then his groin injured in Round 21. Given he had not trained, a soft tissue injury was always on the cards. He then had the late groin surgery during the pre-season. He was played in the debacle final against the Giants jabbed up to billio and unable to raise a trot.

An alternative measure would have been to have the op after the Round 1 injury and have him back fit and firing in the second half of the season.

Hanners was never the same after being butchered in the 2016 GF. One of the attributes that made him a champ was his gut running. From the start of 2017 to the end of 2018, it was clear the bloke could not run out of sight on a foggy, moonless night. Whether it was OP or several issues in the groin area is unknown. What is clear is that playing him invoked the law of diminishing returns. If he had been given 2017 off to get right, he might still be ripping it up for us.

Jekyll and Hyde? Gotta love a good convo with yourself!

haha ... too lazy to edit!

(My ancient mother happily chats away to herself. I only worry and intervene when she starts arguing. Smoking durries for over 50 years will ensure I do not qualify for her probs)

When’s the parade for the weekends premiership win? Could have it in England where every swans game is brilliant
No it's not I lived there in the early 2000s and the 2003 prelim loss was certainly not brilliant. an irrelevant piece of information that on that same day Lucas Neil scored the first goal for Blackburn against Portsmouth. so 2 losses for me in one day

4-8 is still crap

Resting on your laurels because of the past and being content makes little sense to me

Always review always improve

That might mean you have the same coach and so be it

But he isn’t automatically the best coach going forward no matter how good he is

One great win doesn’t wipe out the other s**t he dished up

No way this year is a pass yet

No it's not I lived there in the early 2000s and the 2003 prelim loss was certainly not brilliant. an irrelevant piece of information that on that same day Lucas Neil scored the first goal for Blackburn against Portsmouth. so 2 losses for me in one day

Gotta hate sport double ups like that

Spot on. A week in Pomgolia feels like a year for me (even in Cornwall). On the other hand a year in SW Cork in Ireland passes in a wonderful day.

4-8 is still crap

Resting on your laurels because of the past and being content makes little sense to me

Always review always improve

That might mean you have the same coach and so be it

But he isn’t automatically the best coach going forward no matter how good he is

One great win doesn’t wipe out the other **** he dished up

No way this year is a pass yet

What did he dish up though? Alistair Clarkson, the greatest coach to ever draw breath on God's green earth, a golden god himself amongst us mere mortals, has said multiple times that everyone overestimates the influence coaches have on game day. They are responsible for the overall strategy and direction of the team.

I've seen a team in poor form early in the season with a lot of veterans wiped out by injury building slowly into form, playing with spirit and intent and a lot of young players on a very nice upward trajectory over the past five weeks. This one performance is just one good game afterall and we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes but this concept that a win or a loss is all down to the coaching is nonsense in my opinion.

What did he dish up though? Alistair Clarkson, the greatest coach to ever draw breath on God's green earth, a golden god himself amongst us mere mortals, has said multiple times that everyone overestimates the influence coaches have on game day. They are responsible for the overall strategy and direction of the team.

I've seen a team in poor form early in the season with a lot of veterans wiped out by injury building slowly into form, playing with spirit and intent and a lot of young players on a very nice upward trajectory over the past five weeks. This one performance is just one good game afterall and we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes but this concept that a win or a loss is all down to the coaching is nonsense in my opinion.

Why’s everyone bring Clarko up who cares what he did or said

Why’s everyone bring Clarko up who cares what he did or said
Well I was being sarcastic but he's generally considered the gold standard for current coaches, rightly or wrongly. My point being that a single win or loss is not 100% down to the head coach. Players have to execute and we are starting to do that and the results are showing. For me, the work the coaches do is shown over time with player development and team cohesion. You mentioned what Longmire "dished up" like it was the primary factor for our early losses and I'd challenge that.

Well I was being sarcastic but he's generally considered the gold standard for current coaches, rightly or wrongly. My point being that a single win or loss is not 100% down to the head coach. Players have to execute and we are starting to do that and the results are showing. For me, the work the coaches do is shown over time with player development and team cohesion. You mentioned what Longmire "dished up" like it was the primary factor for our early losses and I'd challenge that.

I don’t think he controls everything of course

But he sets the gameplan and that’s a primary reason we are 4-8 imo

And of course opinions are like arseholes

Interesting (not saying you) how much credit he gets for the weekend though

If he gets that then he has to wear the disappointing 4-8

And it is disappointing to most as if I check the predictions thread most had us as a finals side and that was Harley’s message etc

But we had our best win pre bye so will be two weeks at least for horse to be brilliant

I don’t think he controls everything of course

But he sets the gameplan and that’s a primary reason we are 4-8 imo

And of course opinions are like arseholes

Interesting (not saying you) how much credit he gets for the weekend though

If he gets that then he has to wear the disappointing 4-8

And it is disappointing to most as if I check the predictions thread most had us as a finals side and that was Harley’s message etc

But we had our best win pre bye so will be two weeks at least for horse to be brilliant
I don't think we got the win against the Eagles because of some coaching masterclass. It was the player's efforts and ability to execute and the fact that the Eagles were sleepwalking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back