Coach John Longmire - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Full credit to Horse

Has seriously prioritised run and carry up the corridor the last two rounds. We look so much more promising.

If the playing group has doubts about the coach, the game plan and the message, then surely Horse will pull the pin himself.

He is an honourable bloke and will not outwear his welcome. I expect his manager (Liam Pickering) will be touting him around.

If the playing group has doubts about the coach, the game plan and the message, then surely Horse will pull the pin himself.

He is an honourable bloke and will not outwear his welcome. I expect his manager (Liam Pickering) will be touting him around.

If I was the playing group and I wouldn't concern myself with the honour of the coach and take good hard look at myself in the mirror.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
There's a time limit on coaches, 9 years and 200 games is a long time (he was an assistant here before that to). He's been good but it's reached that point, where he needs to reinvent himself here or go somewhere else.
The fluctuating efforts of the playing group reflect a group that are either not 100% buying into to the game-plan or a group not able to execute/understand the game-plan. If it's the former a poor reflection of the players, but the buck stops with the coach and if it's the former it's his responsibility to come up with a system suited to his players.
Somethings has to give because the trajectory is looking bad, we've played some really ordinary teams on the way to 1-3 as well.

There's a time limit on coaches, 9 years and 200 games is a long time (he was an assistant here before that to). He's been good but it's reached that point, where he needs to reinvent himself here or go somewhere else.
The fluctuating efforts of the playing group reflect a group that are either not 100% buying into to the game-plan or a group not able to execute/understand the game-plan. If it's the former a poor reflection of the players, but the buck stops with the coach and if it's the former it's his responsibility to come up with a system suited to his players.
Somethings has to give because the trajectory is looking bad, we've played some really ordinary teams on the way to 1-3 as well.

What can the coach do about getting smashed in the ruck when we don't even have a half competent ruckman?

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
waiting for the replay of the presser. was hoping the media asked some legit tough questions. doesnt sound like it.

If I was the playing group and I wouldn't concern myself with the honour of the coach and take good hard look at myself in the mirror.

Not the point N37. Of course the players will be self critical. Horse must notice the joyless negativity across the group when he orders them to park the bus. I am shocked you do not believe he would be reflecting or worse needing to reflect.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
i cannot begin to imagine how heeney feels when hes having a really good quarter then is told to go back in defence. must be so deflating and hard to get up after that. he must know its not the right decision. a bunch of the players must know alot of horses decisions are wrong.

Not the point N37. Of course the players will be self critical. Horse must notice the joyless negativity across the group when he orders them to park the bus. I am shocked you do not believe he would be reflecting or worse needing to reflect.

"Joyless negativity" can only come from their own performance, which has been sub-par too often for too many.
It would be a cop out to blame the coach. That doesn't mean that the coach doesn't share part of the blame.
Playing a different game plan and damn the consequences would be more foolish than 'parking the bus'.
Have a look at our spine. FF - Franklin. Ruck - Nope. FB - nope.
Horse has the unenviable task of plugging holes from the start of the game, and it only goes downhill from there.
The mids have to make up for Sinclair's sub-par rucking capability.
Rampe has to play out of his weight and height division.
Aliir has to play a blinder just so that we look half competent defending.

You're expecting miracles. It ain't gonna happen.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
What can the coach do about getting smashed in the ruck when we don't even have a half competent ruckman?

It's not like Gawn and Pruess smashing Sinclair in the ruck isn't something they couldn't have planned around, especially since they were talking about Pruess coming in all week. Everyone knew it was going happen.

Play another ruck?
Try and open up the play/reduce congestion as much possible to be less prone to stoppages? Which they are very good at and it's not like stoppages are a major strength of ours anymore.
Try and work Gawn over like Port did? Instruct his players to be aggressive put some physical body into him? Or play a more aggressive player against him?

He's the one getting paid millions of dollars to come up with some counter tactics, from the evidence provided we did nothing to try and reduce Gawns influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back