Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might not be that quick, but in reality John's management and the club have been working on the extension well before the North job came up. The leaking by North of the potential offer to John (before their coaching selection panel has even met) was an admission that they know the deal with Sydney is close and is a last chance godfather offer to delay it.

It is done and As usual they look stupid again for throwing outrageous amounts of cash around to not even getting close to smoking the cigar.

I think there's more for Longmire at the Swans than just money. I doubt money would be Horse's deciding factor. It's not like age is a limiting factor for coaching. Reputation is more important and he has that in spades.

He's got a club who support him and what he's trying to achieve 100%. He's got a committed team with strong leadership, with the potential to be the next generational Swans juggernaut. As they battle through lean times, savouring every victory they will become increasingly loyal to each other and the club, bonded together through adversity and inculcated with the Bloods spirit. There is even more talented depth coming through the NEAFL, learning the Swans systems, and, with the retirement of a host of senior players over the next year or so, Horse will have the tpp ceiling he needs to keep the team together.

If I was on North's board I'd wait and see how Shaw pans out. Indicate to him that he might get the full-time gig if he continues to win enough games. We know Shaw is a talented coach whom the players really respond to. He knows how to develop players. I rate him pretty highly, even if he is unproven as a senior coach (so far). I recall a stand-in coach called Paul Roos who turned out OK for us.

As long as we continue to play positive football , not teaching players to go backwards. Is that bungee chap serious that Longmire has always coached well ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who said I'm a chap ? And yes, I'm serious. Check Horse's record. Minimum wins in a season 13. Finals every year. 3 GFs, Premiership coach. Blah, blah, blah. Don't just take my word for it. He's one of the most respected coaches in the AFL. There's a reason North offered him so much.

Oh no I do pity people like you and bungee who don’t see the other side of an argument.

We see the other side just fine. We just don't drink your Kool-Aid. Besides, your asinine rants are based on beliefs and can't be changed with mere facts. Sadly, the thing is, I don't mean to appear rude but I'm just not especially interested in what you believe.

Still, I find the thought of you pitying me quite amusing, so do go ahead if it brings you some solace.

Who said I'm a chap ? And yes, I'm serious. Check Horse's record. Minimum wins in a season 13. Finals every year. 3 GFs, Premiership coach. Blah, blah, blah. Don't just take my word for it. He's one of the most respected coaches in the AFL. There's a reason North offered him so much.

One of the most underachieving coaches in history

Handed a flag contending side with the highest cap in the comp built by roost

Won a flag by 10 points

Then proceeded to choke twice with 2 big priced recruits

And has taken a final side to bottom 4 with an unchanging gameplan

Good coach
But should have more than 1 flag with the talent he had at his disposal that’s for sure

I suspect Bungee is exaggerating slightly when saying Longmire has always coached well. Similarly Gun Island may be over emphasising Longmire's deficits.

I expect the key points are somewhere in the middle.

Of course Longmire has been a terrific coach but he had a more than useful list and blew some key matches with selection and tactical decisions. There have been many wonderful wins over the journey and fewer but still painful appalling losses. Some put the latter primarily on the shoulders of the players or umps and absolve Longmire from responsibility. Others, inc me have questioned the game plan and his stubborn resistance to change.

The key question is whether after a long time as an assistant and then senior coach he is the right person to take the Club forward. I think he is coaching better at the moment and seems to be enjoying it more. The young players are bouncing around and having a crack.

One concern I have is whether we should be entering a very expensive contract over a long period of time. I certainly do not support matching the supposed five year term offered by Norf. I would hope any new contract our Board negotiates is loaded with performance based Clauses - eg termination of the contract should the Club miss finals three years in a row or finish in the bottom six two years in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handed a flag contending side with the highest cap in the comp built by roost

Won a flag by 10 points

Then proceeded to choke twice with 2 big priced recruits

And has taken a final side to bottom 4 with an unchanging gameplan

Good coach
But should have more than 1 flag with the talent he had at his disposal that’s for sure

Really can’t blame Horse for the umpiring in 2016. He should be a dual premiership coach. And saying he’s taken a final side to bottom for is simplistic and misleading.

Every team declines. It’s how you build the list again and he’s doing that rather well in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We see the other side just fine. We just don't drink your Kool-Aid. Besides, your asinine rants are based on beliefs and can't be changed with mere facts. Sadly, the thing is, I don't mean to appear rude but I'm just not especially interested in what you believe.

Still, I find the thought of you pitying me quite amusing, so do go ahead if it brings you some solace.

I’m glad you find it amusing, the bare facts are that he has failed at the end of the season, apart from 12 . 14 they thought it was just going to happen and he got out coached and 16 he allowed under done players .
One big win and he’s the best ever old chap .

One of the most underachieving coaches in history
So I guess you're happy for him to move on.
I'm looking forward to the melts on here from you guys when we get a Bolton like coach trying to string 9 wins together.....................................................................................................
................................over his 3 year term!

So I guess you're happy for him to move on.
I'm looking forward to the melts on here from you guys when we get a Bolton like coach trying to string 9 wins together.....................................................................................................
................................over his 3 year term!

that vies for hyperbole with Mr The King's statement. If Longmire departs I am sure you will defend the new appointee to the hilt as the Board does not err (my own hyperbole).

new Direction would be good for the swans, he has been their 17 seasons... best win for the season but I think he should go with Blakey ... Been a great servant still don’t think he is the man to bring us forward... they had dew in front of them and lost him... I just don’t know who’d they go after

Candidates

- caracella
- hird
- Sam Mitchell ( but he moved back to Melb)
- Matthew nicks
- Voss
- Brad Scott

How bad are horses press conferences...

new Direction would be good for the swans, he has been their 17 seasons... best win for the season but I think he should go with Blakey ... Been a great servant still don’t think he is the man to bring us forward... they had dew in front of them and lost him... I just don’t know who’d they go after

Candidates

- caracella
- hird
- Sam Mitchell ( but he moved back to Melb)
- Matthew nicks
- Voss
- Brad Scott

How bad are horses press conferences...
Hird. I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back