Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think it was very predictable because of the week and the afl wanting to have a PR statement.
I’m predicting about 4 suspensions from this round alone.
Some are very warranted but I feel like they were looking a little too hard on some of the incidents, Franklin was chasing the ball and collins jumped back into his shoulder from out of bounds and is given a 1 game suspension. Will be interesting to see tomorrow and Tuesday on how hard they go for this round.

All for the protection of the head I stopped playing football because of a head injury outside of the game and stopped playing because I new the risks involved. Sometimes it just happens though without anyone’s wrong doings.

Simple. Shirtfront is a minimum 3 weeks (a bit like the shoulder charge ruling in the nrl).
Player is protected from the intentional hits. Whiplash concussions are more dangerous than a high hit which is why the shoulder charge has been ruled out in the nrl, and rugby union bans "no arm" tackles

Accidental hits from two players contesting the ball are scaled.
First offence a fine, second a suspension. Protects the contest but also protects the players

Personally I'd rather see a "statement" on silly, unnecessary jumper punches.
Accidental bumps are gonna happen, it's part of the game sorry.

Pickett's intent was pretty obvious. Lined him up from a good 10 metres away and tried to lay him out.
Maybe some history regarding the night club brawl end of 2021?

AFL need to make a statement on that one.
Hopefully Dees challenge the two week suspension. Very to see how it's graded as high impact when Smith got straight back up, played out the game, and was fine afterwards.

If the AFL is serious, players deliberately bumping, high, minimum 4 week suspension, no matter the outcome injury
While I do think that is a little long, I think min two weeks is better, I agree totally that just because the action you took, by chance, didn't result in a confusion, but was reckless or careless, then yeah, take some time off to think how you could do better next time.

Hopefully Dees challenge the two week suspension. Very to see how it's graded as high impact when Smith got straight back up, played out the game, and was fine afterwards.
Yes I hope the Dee's challenge the suspension and the Tribunal grow a pair and give Pickett 6 weeks. It was only good luck that Smith wasn't seriously injured.

Yes I hope the Dee's challenge the suspension and the Tribunal grow a pair and give Pickett 6 weeks. It was only good luck that Smith wasn't seriously injured.
Curious, how many weeks do you think Cripps dog act last year was worth?

Shame that little loophole was closed, we coulda used it this weekend :)

Pickett's intent was pretty obvious. Lined him up from a good 10 metres away and tried to lay him out.
Maybe some history regarding the night club brawl end of 2021?

AFL need to make a statement on that one.
I think downgrade for the pressure of being related to Byron Pickett 😂.

They didn't even get Smith to do the concussion test either

If the AFL is serious, players deliberately bumping, high, minimum 4 week suspension, no matter the outcome injury
the problem is that your captain getting off after doing it last year (in which the Brisbane player was out for a month with the head injury) has set a ridiculous precedence

I have no issue with pickett getting 2 weeks, but would fight it purely on some of the farcical decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the problem is that your captain getting off after doing it last year (in which the Brisbane player was out for a month with the head injury) has set a ridiculous precedence

I have no issue with pickett getting 2 weeks, but would fight it purely on some of the farcical decisions

Point of contact, intent, and most importantly where the ball is at, needs to be considered.

Whether it's one of our players or not, the penalties need to be more severe to stamp out intentional high contact

AFL deserves to be sued for all they got, they are doing nothing about stopping it occurring.

How pickett gets 2 weeks and franklin 1 week is embarrassing.

Michael Christian needs to go. How either was not graded as intentional is beyond understanding.

AFL deserves to be sued for all they got, they are doing nothing about stopping it occurring.

How pickett gets 2 weeks and franklin 1 week is embarrassing.

Michael Christian needs to go. How either was not graded as intentional is beyond understanding.
I don’t think franklins was at all.

Nothing accidental about that bump... Or the Crow's player's either, or Buddy's.

I don’t think franklins was at all.

he literally runs passed the ball and hits a guy in the head.

the mere fact he chooses to run passed the ball in favor of making contact is the definition of intentional.

he literally runs passed the ball and hits a guy in the head.

the mere fact he chooses to run passed the ball in favor of making contact is the definition of intentional.
The ball is hit inside the boundary and he is coming around the boundary to gather it and try to snap. The Gold Coast player jumps back in to stop his line of run.

Table needs to be modified to refer to tribunal for more head contact events. eg - anything in the intentional category and high is referred & anything careless high impact high contact to be referred.

If you want to remove it from the game, injury reports for determination of severity is pretty much proved to be useless at this stage as significantly higher impacts can be deemed as a lesser incident because of no concussion. mere centimeters either side of the impact can change the entire outcome for the injury report, but the action is still the same...and the action is what they want to remove from the game, so how about target that?

Red cards specifically for these kinds of hits/concussions (and nother else). Controlled by the ARC or an off-field official who can look at the vision and make a decision. Using the weekend as an example, Buddy and Kozzie would be carded immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back