Headed to the Game - What Do I Need to Know?

Remove this Banner Ad

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey guys,

So ive got tickies to our home game vs GWS this week. I haven't been to Optus yet, so whats the go with:

* Public transport - best method? Take the bus to Perth Stadium Station? Get on the train to Burswood?

* Food - Can I bring in chips, sandwiches and non-alcoholic drinks? Or will I get cavity searched at the gate and forced to eat soggy, overpriced chips?

* Time - how long does it take to get in/ out? If I plan on getting there half an hour before bouncedown, is that too ambitious?

* Arrogance - how much should I have? After getting pantsed by the Lions im pretty deflated, but then again we will be at home and unfurling a flag. Hoping to keep the 2K Giants supporters that show up entertained with my brilliant tactical acumen of "just kick it" and "not there!"

I would say there's no bad way to get to the stadium, and getting inside even at peak queue size isn't too bad because it moves at a decent rate, but the bus seems to be the better way of getting home afterwards. (Possible exception if your train station is on the Armadale/Thornlie line, but sounds like you're going via the city).

Usually I'd say that arriving at the ground half an hour early is plenty to have you in your seat by bouncedown, but for this game I agree that some extra time would be wise. We need everyone there in time to soak up maximum arrogance from the flag unfurling.

Here's hoping the Flag unfurling will give the team some added motivation!?
A timely reminder for them.
* Yes, bring your arrogance, it might be contagious, need to boost the crowd noise!!

Cant you bring food in?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is what I want solid confirmation on.

At Subi, no one gave a fig if I carted in chips, drinks, lollies, sandwiches, thermos full of soup, etc. I just declared it at the gate and got waved through.

Can I do the same thing at Optus? Or am I gonna get nightsticked by the five-oh?

This is what I want solid confirmation on.

At Subi, no one gave a fig if I carted in chips, drinks, lollies, sandwiches, thermos full of soup, etc. I just declared it at the gate and got waved through.

Can I do the same thing at Optus? Or am I gonna get nightsticked by the five-oh?
Bring what you want. All bottles need to be sealed though.

From what I can see here you should be fine as long as you avoid cans & glass bottles/containers

The average 6 year old can eat their way through $24 worth of stadium hot chips without breaking a sweat.

Best to bring your own food

Thankfully no kids attending. Just taking along the missus for a bit of a "cultural experience" (aka: "hey remember that time I went to the opera with you and missed the football?")

Does anyone know what time the flag is unveiled? I usually drink at the camfield until I see the first bounce down ( great way to avoid queues), but I want to be seated in time to go nuts over the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masto looking a bit Arthur Shelby. Wish he went in as hard as Arthur....
PEAKYBLINDERS3.jpg

I've never had, or seen anyone have, any issues with food. Sealed drinks they're strict on though. If it's just water and you want to bring a reusable bottle, there are heaps of fountains inside the stadium to fill it up so just bring it empty.

Getting your pants pulled down for the price of food at Optus is all part of the experience.

I'd feel weird saving money and taking proper food out of my bag to eat :think:

Lining up for 20 mins for some hot chips, a shitty $15 burger and 4 pints i'm going to spill on the way back to my seat is what it's all about yo.

The old couple next to me at Subi used to bring in a thermos full of red wine every game god bless them. I wonder if that would pass the sniff test at Optus

If you're north/east of the ground - find a train. If you're in the golden triangle/north west, take a train. If you're at south/west of Canning Bridge, get to canning bridge and get a bus

If it's just water and you want to bring a reusable bottle, there are heaps of fountains inside the stadium to fill it up so just bring it empty.
Just be sure to let the fountain run for 2-3 minutes before putting your bottle under it, because the first couple of minutes of water is really heavy for some reason. You'll struggle to even get the filled bottle back to your seat.

Just be sure to let the fountain run for 2-3 minutes before putting your bottle under it, because the first couple of minutes of water is really heavy for some reason. You'll struggle to even get the filled bottle back to your seat.
Don't lead him astray.

Take the bus if there's a good route near you

No idea about food, should be fine just be a bit sneaky

Half an hour is fine, gate lines are long but move pretty quick. You should move from the back of the line to your seat in like 5-10 minutes. Personally i'm the kind of guy that enjoys getting to the game quite early and watching the warm ups, having a beer, etc, but personal preference.

The key to being in an eagles crowd is really just the booing, make sure you boo loud and boo often. Apparently according to the vic media these boos posses magic abilities in the way of controlling the umpire's decision making, no one is really sure how exactly our boos are so special compared to the other crowds but apparently they just are.

Hey guys,

So ive got tickies to our home game vs GWS this week. I haven't been to Optus yet, so whats the go with:

* Public transport - best method? Take the bus to Perth Stadium Station? Get on the train to Burswood?

* Food - Can I bring in chips, sandwiches and non-alcoholic drinks? Or will I get cavity searched at the gate and forced to eat soggy, overpriced chips?

* Time - how long does it take to get in/ out? If I plan on getting there half an hour before bouncedown, is that too ambitious?

* Arrogance - how much should I have? After getting pantsed by the Lions im pretty deflated, but then again we will be at home and unfurling a flag. Hoping to keep the 2K Giants supporters that show up entertained with my brilliant tactical acumen of "just kick it" and "not there!"

1.) I find the train easier, hop on and hop off with out having to worry too much. There's a traino at the stadium (just in case you didn't know) and it's about 100m away from from the stadium itself, easy as

2.) You can bring in food, a friends Mum bought in a whole * off tupperware container with about 100 cut sandwiches in last year. Chicken and mayo, the absolute best choice with Chardonay. You can take Thermoses in containing hot liquid (but not cold liquids) and nothing unsealed in a bottle (like soft drink or water) but sealed is fine so long as it isn't glass or in a can.

3.) Usually 30-40 minutes but tomorrow is the flag unveiling I'd aim for an hour before, especially if you've not been before the stadium is massive and just walking around to find your gate can chew up plenty of time. Getting out is like 15 minutes max, even if you're right up the top. The place is world class in terms of being able to empty quickly

4.) The very first words that should leave your lips the second you get off that train is "back 2 back baby", whispered softly into your missos ear followed by "WHY DIDN'T HE JUST KICK IT" or "JUST KICK THE BLOODY THING" at every possibly opportunity during the game.

Transperth only allows free transport 3 hrs before and after the game right? Wanna make sure since I might wanna get there early for the curtain raiser.
We've had some early starts going to the footy, the fine print says 3 hrs but no one cares if you go earlier. (So far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back