Heading into 2022 - make the big calls

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about this today and I'm wondering what a reasonable expectation is for Libba for 2022 and beyond?

He will be 30 in May but as we know it's dangerous to discuss the decline of a player based on age. Everyone is different. Boak and Mundy are playing extremely well in their mid 30s and a lot of that has to do with their elite work ethic. Libba has a good work ethic too and this could prolong his career. If genes are anything to go by, he could follow in his father's footsteps and play into his mid 30s.

The two knee reconstructions could catch up to him, or they could actually prolong his career. He has been in the system for 11 seasons but has only played in nine of those seasons. That's less wear and tear on his body.

I'm still hopeful we get another two to three years of very good football from Libba. There's no reason why he can't continue to perform at a high standard if he doesn't get injured. Am I correct in saying that he doesn't have a history of soft tissue injury? That could be a good thing.
His old man had knee issues but still kept going well into his 30s so he might surprise us all

Zero chance the season is not effected by Covid not a big call near 100% certain to happen.
It’s a near certainty.

If a player tests positive mid-week then barring a major policy shift they will have miss at least one match.

I reckon there’ll be sides forced to field sub-par teams with a number of players out or go without stars in a blockbuster, and at some point a side might not be able to field a team.

If there’s another boom in cases in the middle of winter I can see capacity limits, but hopefully no more crowdless games.

I have it on good authority that Libba's knees have to be managed throughout the season. He has lighter training loads than the other players etc.
His longevity will inevitably come down to how long the knees can hold up.
Having said that, I think its a mistake to write him off now. He has shown zero signs of slowing down.
I watched him a fair bit last year. You can tell he blows up a bit and needs rest at times.

He’s never been quick or explosive and made his name on strength and smarts, so if his knees don’t degenerate further I can see him maintaining his current output for a few years. It’s basically the opposite of Wood.

They will/are. It's just the rate of the degeneration and how long he can tolerate it that's the question. I don't think he plays beyond his current contract. My hope is that he can maintain pretty good output for the next two seasons though.
With this knowledge the club needs to managing the Dunkley, West and Garcia contract situations.

They will/are. It's just the rate of the degeneration and how long he can tolerate it that's the question. I don't think he plays beyond his current contract. My hope is that he can maintain pretty good output for the next two seasons though.
It's a testament to how good of a player he is. There have been people questioning his commitment throughout his career.. someone who doesn't love the game and his club wouldn't play with ****ed knees.

I wonder how good he could have been without his injuries.

I had a dream last night that we played Melbourne (again) in the Grand Final.

They kicked the first two goals, before Nick Riewoldt kicked our first. Garry Lyon was also playing in our forward line and set up the Riewoldt goal. Naughton was also a part of our star studded forward line. Three elite tall forwards with agility.

Melbourne got the next centre clearance and pumped the ball inside their fifty. Jake Lever (playing for us) took an intercept mark, before playing on. He was immediately tackled, and then my alarm went off and interrupted my dream.

When I reflected on this dream, I thought to myself I could see a Dees v Dogs Grand Final again. I hadn't previously given this any consideration, but this wouldn't be an unpopular prediction. Afterall, those two teams according to the bookies are the shortest odds for the 2022 premiership.

It got me thinking back to the last time the same two teams played in the Grand Final in consecutive years. We have to go back 16 years to 2005 - 2006 (Sydney & WCE). Why is this relevant?

Well, in 1986 and 1987, those two Grand Finals were contested between the same two teams (Hawthorn & Carlton). It took another 16 years for a Grand Final to be contested between the teams who played in the previous year's Grand Final (Brisbane & Collingwood).

History to repeat itself?

Last edited:
I had a dream last night that we played Melbourne (again) in the Grand Final.

They kicked the first two goals, before Nick Riewoldt kicked our first. Garry Lyon was also playing in our forward line and set up the Riewoldt goal. Naughton was also a part of our star studded forward line. Three elite tall forwards with agility.

Melbourne got the next centre clearance and pumped the ball inside their fifty. Jake Lever (playing for us) took an intercept mark, before playing off. He was immediately tackled, and then my alarm went off and interrupted my dream.

When I reflected on this dream, I thought to myself I could see a Dees v Dogs Grand Final again. I hadn't previously given this any consideration, but this wouldn't be an unpopular decision. Afterall, those two teams according to the bookies are the shortest odds for the 2022 premiership.

It got me thinking back to the last time the same two teams played in the Grand Final in consecutive years. We have to go back 16 years to 2005 - 2006 (Sydney & WCE). Why is this relevant?

Well, in 1986 and 1987, those two Grand Finals were contested between the same two teams (Hawthorn & Carlton). It took another 16 years for a Grand Final to be contested between the teams who played in the previous year's Grand Final (Brisbane & Collingwood).

History to repeat itself?
I had a bulldogs dees grand final dream last night too 😂 we bloody lost again though - can’t even win in my dreams 😩

to be fair about half way through the dream it turned into backyard footy and then there was a giant earthquake so I’m not sure how much we can look into it

I had a bulldogs dees grand final dream last night too 😂 we bloody lost again though - can’t even win in my dreams 😩

to be fair about half way through the dream it turned into backyard footy and then there was a giant earthquake so I’m not sure how much we can look into it

Whenever I dream about footy the match is always being played in the most bizarre places. Often times it's closer to a golf course than a footy oval and it's usually on a steep hill with one side kicking down and the other kicking up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

reckon that dream was influenced by the tsunami in Tonga. My thoughts go them.

We start the season 5-0. Will tear either Brisbane a new one in the qualifying and then do the same to whatever poor team we play in the prelim. Then we win the flag a week later.

JJ will remind everyone that he can seriously play and plays every game he's fit for in 2022 - as a high forward

Match sim reports sound good for this.
Some finals highlights videos popped up in my Facebook feed. I think JJ's finals performances in the middle two games have been glossed over.
HF can be a bit of a 'dead zone' for footballers (especially for sulking mids who think they should be at the bounce) but JJ was fantastic there.

Some finals highlights videos popped up in my Facebook feed. I think JJ's finals performances in the middle two games have been glossed over.
HF can be a bit of a 'dead zone' for footballers (especially for sulking mids who think they should be at the bounce) but JJ was fantastic there.
I agree mate I think he has what it takes to be a really handy HF. Some of his chase down tackles were brilliant last year and oppo players just knowing he’s buzzing around is worth it’s weight in gold in causing inferred pressure, there’s probably not a player in the league that will outrun JJ at full flight. Weightman, Laith and JJ is a really good base of defensive pressure to work our forward line on, with a good amount of goals in them combined too.

I love JJ/Laith playing that high HFF push up to the wing then run back to goal game, they’re both very direct players - see ball, get ball, run fast and kick long pretty simple stuff. With Naughty and Jamarra possibly English down forward, that’s all you want out of your flankers.

Laith obviously more aggressive, harder at the ball but less skilful, JJ more likely to hit up shorter leads (he’s actually one of our best kicks inside 50 IMO) so they compliment each other well, and then anything that hits the ground inside 50 you know Weightman will be there ready to clean it up.

I love JJ/Laith playing that high HFF push up to the wing then run back to goal game, they’re both very direct players - see ball, get ball, run fast and kick long pretty simple stuff. With Naughty and Jamarra possibly English down forward, that’s all you want out of your flankers.

Laith obviously more aggressive, harder at the ball but less skilful, JJ more likely to hit up shorter leads (he’s actually one of our best kicks inside 50 IMO) so they compliment each other well, and then anything that hits the ground inside 50 you know Weightman will be there ready to clean it up.
Laith was the king of "weird obscure stats coaches probably love" during the H&A season - 'repeat sprint efforts'

We will go into a game with English, Martin and Sweet selected in the 22, yet there will still be at least one centre bounce in that game where none of them are our nominated ruckman. BOOKMARK IT! :D

I agree mate I think he has what it takes to be a really handy HF. Some of his chase down tackles were brilliant last year and oppo players just knowing he’s buzzing around is worth it’s weight in gold in causing inferred pressure, there’s probably not a player in the league that will outrun JJ at full flight. Weightman, Laith and JJ is a really good base of defensive pressure to work our forward line on, with a good amount of goals in them combined too.

JJ's rundown tackle on Butler was one of my favourite moments of the year.

JJ always seems like a reliable shot for goal as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back