Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Ligma, I used the Hoka brand recently. I did not get another pair because I felt that while very comfortable I no longer had a 'feel' for the ground I was running on and also I felt that they wore out more than others. My podiatrist and physio were bemused that I was wearing them given my propensity in senior running years to develop calf and achilles issues. Can I suggest a place like the Running Company where they employ trainee podiatrists, physios and elite athletes? They check you out on the treadmill to determine your needs then get you three different brands to try for feel and comfort. You can even take a run outside. You can be confident of walking out (running out?) of the shop with the right shoe. I usually use Mizuno, Asics and Brooks but my needs are probably different from yours. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the recommendation. I might try them as well. I have wide flat feet and can't run or even walk far without the pain sensation. I prefer bike riding over running because of it.

I currently have Brooks Beasts with insoles which was recommended by a podiatrist but hasn't really helped.

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for the recommendation. I might try them as well. I have wide flat feet and can't run or even walk far without the pain sensation. I prefer bike riding over running because of it.

I curently have Brooks Beasts with insoles which was recommended by a podiatrist but hasn't really helped.

4751623656_8dc5b5b417_b.jpg

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Uncle hoj had a crippling foot fetish
I can confirm that Mrs Bertie has often told me that she didn't marry me for my feet (years of running will do that to you.) On the bright side, I must have wowed her with my other charms!🤣

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I curently have Brooks Beasts with insoles which was recommended by a podiatrist but hasn't really helped.
Hey GR, I have similar issues and wear an Asics GT2000. They have a slightly higher arch than a kayano, and come in 2E and 4E widths. I've worn beasts too and found them to be quite cumbersome, love a wide fit kayano as well but always go back to the GT 2000. Been wearing variations of them for 20 years. Anyway, good luck with it mate, it's a pain in the arse getting the right fit. Chuck in some small muscle exercises to build up your arch and get some load into your calves as well, that well help a lot

Hey GR, I have similar issues and wear an Asics GT2000. They have a slightly higher arch than a kayano, and come in 2E and 4E widths. I've worn beasts too and found them to be quite cumbersome, love a wide fit kayano as well but always go back to the GT 2000. Been wearing variations of them for 20 years. Anyway, good luck with it mate, it's a pain in the arse getting the right fit. Chuck in some small muscle exercises to build up your arch and get some load into your calves as well, that well help a lot
Thanks mate, I will take a look.

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excellent advice.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My physio gave me a good exercise to build my arch, didn't know it was possible til now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Anyway……thanks Zondor…back on topic and away from all the other dramas, does anyone know when the fitness drive kicks in in terms of pre season?

Is it a collective team objective once pre season starts or are all the players currently expected to be working on their own objectives now and over October?

It is a bother of mine when I see this Finals Series level of fitness and where we are at..miles behind

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Anyway……thanks Zondor…back on topic and away from all the other dramas, does anyone know when the fitness drive kicks in in terms of pre season?

Is it a collective team objective once pre season starts or are all the players currently expected to be working on their own objectives now and over October?

It is a bother of mine when I see this Finals Series level of fitness and where we are at..miles behind

From what I understand, they get individual programs. Not sure if the stuff we see on socials is part of that or extras.

Kipchoge beat his own world record, so I guess we know Jonnoo didn't win, but how'd you go mate
Cheers for the shout out FG, had a 2:56, absolutely stoked! Amazing flat and fast course and large noisy crowd! Weather was perfect too. Kept my 5k splits almost spot on @ 21 mins. Couldn’t quite go with the GOAT, his 2:50 min/kms were a bit quick

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers for the shout out FG, had a 2:56, absolutely stoked! Amazing flat and fast course and large noisy crowd! Weather was perfect too. Kept my 5k splits almost spot on @ 21 mins. Couldn’t quite go with the GOAT, his 2:50 min/kms were a bit quick
Incredible!
How many weekly kms have you been clocking up over the past month to get 2:56?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jesus! If I'm not mistaken that's 1:08 every 400m. Imagine keeping that up for 42km.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And well done to you too! I can barely manage one 21min 5km, let alone 8 of them!

Incredible!
How many weekly kms have you been clocking up over the past month to get 2:56?
About 100k a week for 5 or so weeks, really nothing special compared to others

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About 100k a week for 5 or so weeks, really nothing special compared to others
I ask because I'm doing about 50-60km at the moment with the ultimate goal of doing sub3.

Pretty tricky to compare ourselves to the Kipchoges of the world who have the time to fit 35kms of running into their average day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back