Competitions Health and fitness

hit just over 10km again today at a similar pace to last week, but this time i was absolutely ******* gassed by the end. not sure if it's the increased heat today or what, but the body is struggling real bad rn

Flawed Genius I totally get what you mean now about getting the hill out of the way in one go. i went the other direction just to see what it's like and gradual slope is much harder than just getting it out of the way along that one stretch.

For those who have been through this before, how quickly should improvement come? In the back of my mind I was thinking that i wanted to get to 12 today but instead it was a bit of a struggle to push through to 10km. Obviously i don't expect huge improvements in one week, but do you think i should be aiming for either a slightly longer distance or slightly better splits each week?
Just have fun for a while and don't stress about it.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
hit just over 10km again today at a similar pace to last week, but this time i was absolutely ******* gassed by the end. not sure if it's the increased heat today or what, but the body is struggling real bad rn

Flawed Genius I totally get what you mean now about getting the hill out of the way in one go. i went the other direction just to see what it's like and gradual slope is much harder than just getting it out of the way along that one stretch.

For those who have been through this before, how quickly should improvement come? In the back of my mind I was thinking that i wanted to get to 12 today but instead it was a bit of a struggle to push through to 10km. Obviously i don't expect huge improvements in one week, but do you think i should be aiming for either a slightly longer distance or slightly better splits each week?
Running is not my forte, but found changing up the long runs with 4km runs at as fast a clip I can go really helped me with my pace on longer runs when I stepped them back out, particularly with getting through hills and getting a 2nd wind. Maybe alternate your distances between long and short? Good luck with it. I reckon you will see an improvements in your splits if you hit some pace

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Running is not my forte, but found changing up the long runs with 4km runs at as fast a clip I can go really helped me with my pace on longer runs when I stepped them back out, particularly with getting through hills and getting a 2nd wind. Maybe alternate your distances between long and short? Good luck with it. I reckon you will see an improvements in your splits if you hit some pace
appreciate it mate and it kinda gives me a bit of validation to what I'm going dow, which is doing a couple of speed and recovery runs during the week if i cant get to footy training with the one long run planned for each w/e

Guys I’m really stressed rn.

My hammy has gotten better but still hurts when running. I know tomorrow VFLW will be a hard session so I’m stressed my hammy won’t recover in time for my 10k

😭😭😭😭

Unfortunately I’ve come to the decision to pull out of the 10k.

It will be too much stress on my hammy and VFLW is a priority at the moment.

My goal is still to complete a race but it will do me more harm than good 🙏🏼

My goal is still to complete a race but it will do me more harm than good

Sounds like a wise move.

There will be plenty more opportunities to race but the VFLW chance is a limited opportunity so you should make the most of it.

Go well!

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

My goal is still to complete a race but it will do me more harm than good 🙏🏼
Right decision in the end. Your health is a priority and so is the limited opportunity here for VFLW, there’ll be plenty more races.

But this would of helped you a lot in the training, teaching you how to run and run at good paces, which can be translated to footy and you’ll be thankful 💪

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had a great threshold run today, it felt so good to know that I've been making progress. My threshold for discomfort is noticeably higher than even a month ago. Going at about 85-90% effort, it takes longer for my heart rate to reach its maximum BPM zone, and when I'm there, it actually feels good.
And when I came home, the discounted red Vaporflys had arrived. Can't wait to get out there in them.

I’m really scared if they make us do a 2k and I won’t be able to do it 😭 surely they can use my time I did last week lol

I’ve currently got an ice pack strapped to my hammy hopefully it’s okay for tomorrow.

Walking is fine for me, so is walking up and down stairs, hinging movements is where I can feel the tightness.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m really scared if they make us do a 2k and I won’t be able to do it 😭 surely they can use my time I did last week lol

I’ve currently got an ice pack strapped to my hammy hopefully it’s okay for tomorrow.

Walking is fine for me, so is walking up and down stairs, hinging movements is where I can feel the tightness.
VFL teams have a physio who should be present at training. Please communicate with them and let them know how you're feeling.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve got a trial with the Gippsland side for cricket in the Victorian Country Cricket U18 league this Sunday and I’ll be in selection of the game next week.

Super keen, open to any tips for how I should get rid of nerves, how I could make sure I’m 100% fresh and firing.

😤

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve got a trial with the Gippsland side for cricket in the Victorian Country Cricket U18 league this Sunday and I’ll be in selection of the game next week.

Super keen, open to any tips for how I should get rid of nerves, how I could make sure I’m 100% fresh and firing.

😤
Brother I used to spew before every match so I'm no help, but good luck and great work.

VFL teams have a physio who should be present at training. Please communicate with them and let them know how you're feeling.
Of course TMB. Hopefully they let me do the skills cause I think I have a lot to offer and I’m already fit.

Yeah I reckon, just making sure you're not being one of those soldiers who hides a potential injury from the physio!
I reckon since they know me maybe they’ll let it slide.

I heard from my VC who works for north that their recruiters came to our finals games 😁

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

😤
down about 5 shots in the morning

you'll be seeing three balls when you face up but the nerves will be gone

but seriously, good luck mate. I'm really not sure there's much you can do other than trust that your skill and performance got you to that level and you're there for a reason

😤
Booze and Drugs!

Seriously tho, nerves are important.

If you aren't nervous you shouldn't be playing.

You just need to be able to focus and concentrate when it matters, usually by focusing on your breathing. Then the nerves will take care of themselves.

Visualisation helps beforehand - visualise the situations you will be in and imagine yourself being successful, focus on your goals - the more you do this beforehand the better your preperation will be. Work thru what you needed to do to be successful when you visualised things and concentrate on doing them on the day as well.

If thinking about your goals makes you nervous this is a good opportunity to practice controlling those nerves, by focusing on your breathing (and your goals once your breathing is cool.)

Glenn Archer used to say he was s**t scared every game. The most courageous player in the comp at the time and one of the most courageous of all time. Herb Elliot, who won a gold medal (1500m) at the Rome Olympics and never lost a race in the mile (1600m) said fear of losing was what drove him on in every race. If you can harness your nerves and your fear then the energy they provide can work for you.

If its getting intense then remember to breathe deeply from your stomach/diaphram and just focus on your breathing for a minute or two - long deep slow breaths, be aware of your feelings but don't dwell or focus on them, just let them flow thru you, breathe deeply and focus on your goals or aims for the situation you are in.

And if you've just ****ed up but are still in the game don't dwell on it. Again, deep slow breathing is good for this.

(In fact, you should do that deep breathing anyway, however nervous you are.)

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
down about 5 shots in the morning

you'll be seeing three balls when you face up but the nerves will be gone

but seriously, good luck mate. I'm really not sure there's much you can do other than trust that your skill and performance got you to that level and you're there for a reason
Down 10 and see 6!

I'm a bowler so for me it'll be focusing on stretching and making sure i am pumped up and thumping in, so getting some laps in, sprint work, completely warmed up and high energy. Back myself, have started to bat more lately and alot more confident with it, though there'll be some quick lads out there, just gotta back myself as you said.

I'll come back with updates, so ******* keennnn

Back