Competitions Health and fitness

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Booze and Drugs!

Seriously tho, nerves are important.

If you aren't nervous you shouldn't be playing.

You just need to be able to focus and concentrate when it matters, usually by focusing on your breathing. Then the nerves will take care of themselves.

Visualisation helps beforehand - visualise the situations you will be in and imagine yourself being successful, focus on your goals - the more you do this beforehand the better your preperation will be. Work thru what you needed to do to be successful when you visualised things and concentrate on doing them on the day as well.

If thinking about your goals makes you nervous this is a good opportunity to practice controlling those nerves, by focusing on your breathing (and your goals once your breathing is cool.)

Glenn Archer used to say he was s**t scared every game. The most courageous player in the comp at the time and one of the most courageous of all time. Herb Elliot, who won a gold medal (1500m) at the Rome Olympics and never lost a race in the mile (1600m) said fear of losing was what drove him on in every race. If you can harness your nerves and your fear then the energy they provide can work for you.

If its getting intense then remember to breathe deeply from your stomach/diaphram and just focus on your breathing for a minute or two - long deep slow breaths, be aware of your feelings but don't dwell or focus on them, just let them flow thru you, breathe deeply and focus on your goals or aims for the situation you are in.

And if you've just ****ed up but are still in the game don't dwell on it. Again, deep slow breathing is good for this.

(In fact, you should do that deep breathing anyway, however nervous you are.)
Cheers mate!

I appreciate it heaps, focusing on my breathing as you said, nerves are good, shows i care, and i guess using the nerves and fueling it towards being pumped up and ready to thump in and focus 100%.

I'll keep you all updated and i appreciate all the messages, you're literally all legends <3

Cheers mate!

I appreciate it heaps, focusing on my breathing as you said, nerves are good, shows i care, and i guess using the nerves and fueling it towards being pumped up and ready to thump in and focus 100%.

I'll keep you all updated and i appreciate all the messages, you're literally all legends <3
Good luck Dom

I’ve got a trial with the Gippsland side for cricket in the Victorian Country Cricket U18 league this Sunday and I’ll be in selection of the game next week.

Super keen, open to any tips for how I should get rid of nerves, how I could make sure I’m 100% fresh and firing.

😤
I used to visualize myself playing the shots that I knew were technically sound to help me sleep, was like counting sheep. Then on the day when batting just stick to a routine that kept me focused and my mind from running away. With bowling I'd just focus on my runup and where I wanted the ball to pitch, just ignored the batsman until I settled.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I used to visualize myself playing the shots that I knew were technically sound to help me sleep, was like counting sheep. Then on the day when batting just stick to a routine that kept me focused and my mind from running away. With bowling I'd just focus on my runup and where I wanted the ball to pitch, just ignored the batsman until I settled.
For me I just wanna be able to ignore my run up and thump in, snap the wrist get it swinging both ways as a bowler.

Batting I haven’t made a lot of runs but technique is sound, just gotta focus on hitting gaps and using my sound technique.

And energy, cause I’ll be fielding, chat, up and about yknow, it’s a centre wicket training trial but they’ll be looking at everything.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me I just wanna be able to ignore my run up and thump in, snap the wrist get it swinging both ways as a bowler.

Batting I haven’t made a lot of runs but technique is sound, just gotta focus on hitting gaps and using my sound technique.

And energy, cause I’ll be fielding, chat, up and about yknow, it’s a centre wicket training trial but they’ll be looking at everything.
Bang on with that last comment. How you behave in the field could be the difference.

How was it?
Absurdly hot. Like to the point where the ambos were tending to a number of people by the side of the road. Quite scary to see. 10k course was good but you probably made the right decision picking VFLW over it. Half mara was just straight up abuse

Absurdly hot. Like to the point where the ambos were tending to a number of people by the side of the road. Quite scary to see. 10k course was good but you probably made the right decision picking VFLW over it. Half mara was just straight up abuse
* yeah i literally couldn’t complete my conditioning because of how hot it was and I stg it was closer to 40 than 30.

I reckon u smashed it

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What time of day was it? Haven't you just had COVID? No surprise you'd feel ordinary.

I have a cold so went for an easy 5k at midday instead of my weekly long run. It didn't feel easy.

* yeah i literally couldn’t complete my conditioning because of how hot it was and I stg it was closer to 40 than 30.

I reckon u smashed it

Direct sunlight for basically the entire course. I spoke to some mates who reckoned it was 29 at 9:30am. Almost negligent, so many people cooking themselves.

What time of day was it? Haven't you just had COVID? No surprise you'd feel ordinary.

I have a cold so went for an easy 5k at midday instead of my weekly long run. It didn't feel easy.

Yeah I've been working towards this for ages (& haven't had any symptoms for three days) so decided to run it anyway. Start at 7:30am. I ran 1:58, really just happy to go sub two hours

I did 32k at Lysterfield this morning, finished just after 10, was absolutely cooked, car said 30 deg. Could barely put one foot in front of the other. If the Two Bays race is hot I am f…..d

Last edited:
And more importantly, Brett Robinson broke the long standing Deeks Aussie marathon record with a 2:07:31 at Fukuoka today, amazing!

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bang on with that last comment. How you behave in the field could be the difference.
We get told tomorrow what the selection is for next week where we play Northern Rivers, which might be played at Williamstown.

Did pretty well, started off s**t with my first bowling spell, we got ****ed around with our warmup so I wasn’t loose, came onto bowl before I batted and bowled really well and pretty quick.

Fielded well, took a couple catches & was making sure I was chatting and helping everyone.

Batted really well despite being mainly a bowler, started against spin and nudged them around, hit a few good shots (smacked one over cow, one straight over his head).

Then faced a couple of the quicks and got hit in the chest but smacked the next short one over the hill so it was fair, smacked a few, drove well, and just got in and played my shots, didn’t get out and had a chat at the end.

Nervous wait for tomorrow.

Do you guys take proper precautions against heat exhaustion and dehydration?

Here are the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. learn to recognise them in yourself and others if you don't already know them.

Here are the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. learn to recognise them in yourself and others if you don't already know them.

The only reason I felt sick is cause I stuffed my face with an egg and bacon roll 🤣

But in all seriousness I’ve been taking being SunSmart very seriously, usually consists of sunscreen a hat and sunglasses.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Timely as I just had a nice lil vom

Definitely. Slow down, shorten up runs, I wear a big floppy hat, readjust goals, carry plenty of electrolytes. Another risk for long distance runners is hyponatremia, taking on too much water and not enough sodium (plenty of this in electrolytes).

The only reason I felt sick is cause I stuffed my face with an egg and bacon roll 🤣

But in all seriousness I’ve been taking being SunSmart very seriously, usually consists of sunscreen a hat and sunglasses.
Sunsmart is one thing - prevention of excess sun exposure to lower risk of skin cancers.

But heat stress, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are other things entirely. These happen when your body temperature rises too fast, and with the last two gets up near and over 40 degrees C when it should be under 37 degrees. Heat stroke can kill you or permanently disable you - destroy your muscles, organs and cook your brain.

s**t like this can happen.

Sunsmart is one thing - prevention of excess sun exposure to lower risk of skin cancers.

But heat stress, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are other things entirely. These happen when your body temperature rises too fast, and with the last two gets up near and over 40 degrees C when it should be under 37 degrees. Heat stroke can kill you or permanently disable you - destroy your muscles, organs and cook your brain.

s**t like this can happen.

I know they are different ferbs lol

Definitely. Slow down, shorten up runs, I wear a big floppy hat, readjust goals, carry plenty of electrolytes. Another risk for long distance runners is hyponatremia, taking on too much water and not enough sodium (plenty of this in electrolytes).
Hydralite is good for that. So is choccy milk, dunno about in a long distance running context.

I used to tree plant, when I first started I got hyponatremia. Its horrible. You spew your guts up for hours and can't do much else. Good way to not get paid for a day.

Back