Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have any tips on holding a faster pace for longer? I have a scheduled run tomorrow and I’m kind of scared I won’t be able to hold a faster pace for 10 mins? Or am I overthinking it?

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone have any tips on holding a faster pace for longer? I have a scheduled run tomorrow and I’m kind of scared I won’t be able to hold a faster pace for 10 mins? Or am I overthinking it?
Yes, you are overthinking it. I could go into how to train to get faster but the short answer is that 10 minutes is not long, especially as you presumably done a crapload of interval work for footy. I expect that the point is to to see what you can sustain for 10 minutes. Whatever you do is what you can do. Just guts it out.

Yes, you are overthinking it. I could go into how to train to get faster but the short answer is that 10 minutes is not long. I assume you have done a crapload of interval work for footy. Just guts it out.
Do you have any tips to hold a certain pace?

Oct 7, 2009
The Y Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nail Can Hill, a nature reserve in Albury. (I actually drive past or near Whereitallbegan on my way there). I'll be curious to see how I go tomorrow because I'm a lot better on the hills now generally.
My favourite part of the run is it goes around the back of the tip and for some reason there's a park bench where you could sit and watch them bulldoze the rubbish and take in the aroma.
Hopefully the weather's clear tomorrow because there are spectacular views of Mt Bogong at certain points.
Haha, good job mate, it is a sensational run/walk, particularly on a clear day, as you alluded to. I've walked/ jogged it a few times, starting and ending in different locations. Testament to how challenging it is, even Steve Monaghetti (not sure of the spelling), has competed in it after hearing about it. I did it in competition 2 years in a row in the '90s (this was after fracturing my neck in a match and being rendered pretty useless both physically and mentally for a number of years), I needed to prove to myself that I could still achieve something. The first year I just plodded along, being happy just to finish the race, the second year I trained my arse off and was determined to smash the previous time, so you can imagine my disgust coming in 20 seconds faster :D , I haven't run it competitively since :D. You'll be in fine form by the time the run rolls around May next year. PS: How's that first climb when you start the actual hill. What a f@cking killer.

Holy guys, I just did the hardest session yet. Fartlek (speed play) give it a try, it hurts but it’s very good.

so it’s 3 minutes of threshold pace (comfortably hard) followed by one minute jog x 6

trust me the session goes quick once you fight off the mental demons. It’s a lung burner and I haven’t been able to stop coughing🤣

Last edited:

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Holy guys, I just did the hardest session yet. Fartlek (speed play) give it a try, it hurts but it’s very good.

so it’s 3 minutes of threshold pace (comfortably hard) followed by one minute walking x 6

trust me the session goes quick once you fight off the mental demons. It’s a lung burner and I haven’t been able to stop coughing🤣
That doesn't sound like a Fartlek to me. Sounds like a decent interval session though. I thought a Fartlek would be more like jog for 3 mins, 5k pace pace for a minute, jog for 3 minutes, 1k pace for 30 seconds, etc. More slow stuff with mixed up short, faster bursts.

That doesn't sound like a Fartlek to me. Sounds like a decent interval session though. I thought a Fartlek would be more like jog for 3 mins, 5k pace pace for a minute, jog for 3 minutes, 1k pace for 30 seconds, etc. More slow stuff with mixed up short, faster bursts.
My s&c coach gave it to me I was supposed to jog for 1 min but chose to walk lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
I have a consult with Nathan Parnham, a strength and conditioning director and an author of ‘The sporting parent’ a book about ensuring your child succeeds in sport.

if you have any questions regarding either s&c or child’s sporting desires, ask away and I will ask on behalf of you

Jog.

It keep your hr up and keeps blood flow higher than walking which means you flush lactic acid faster.
Plus the mental strength it gives you if you keep moving.
Mate my HR didn’t drop (160-180) lol with a jog it would also drop slightly because the rest interval is short. I also chose to walk because I’ve been having troubles with my calfs, s&c said it was okay as well.

lactic acid is another fuel source byproduct (of glycolysis) for the muscles and provides energy believe it or not, the burning sensation is a build up of hydrogen ions. It’s a common misconception. I wanted to further enhance my lactate threshold so I like the burning and need to train it if I want to get a better LT

also I do fight the mental demons as it read in my original post, so many times including yesterday I have quit. This was a session that I kept telling myself to keep pushing and it’s going to pay off.

Last edited:
May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners
How's that first climb when you start the actual hill. What a f@cking killer.

Agree. Trundling along, turn the corner and it feels like it’s straight up. I did the fun run a couple of times around 10 years ago. And in about half the time I could do it now :)

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mate my HR didn’t drop (160-180) lol with a jog it would also drop slightly because the rest interval is short. I also chose to walk because I’ve been having troubles with my calfs, s&c said it was okay as well.

lactic acid is another fuel source byproduct (of glycolysis) for the muscles and provides energy believe it or not, the burning sensation is a build up of hydrogen ions. It’s a common misconception. I wanted to further enhance my lactate threshold so I like the burning and need to train it if I want to get a better LT

also I do fight the mental demons as it read in my original post, so many times including yesterday I have quit. This was a session that I kept telling myself to keep pushing and it’s going to pay off.
Terminology is not that important so I won't debate with Coach Ray. Your session seems close to a standard interval set that people do to train for the 5k, which is 5k worth of fast running, such as 5 x 1k or 6 x 800m at your goal race pace with a couple of minutes of slow jogged recovery. As you progress you reduce the recovery time.

There's nothing wrong with walking recoveries if that's what you need to be able to do the fast bits at the right pace. Theoretically you should be able to contemplate doing one more interval after your last. I am never, ever in that state. I probably do mine too fast (when I do them, which is not as often as I should).

Terminology is not that important so I won't debate with Coach Ray. Your session seems close to a standard interval set that people do to train for the 5k, which is 5k worth of fast running, such as 5 x 1k or 6 x 800m at your goal race pace with a couple of minutes of slow jogged recovery. As you progress you reduce the recovery time.

There's nothing wrong with walking recoveries if that's what you need to be able to do the fast bits at the right pace. Theoretically you should be able to contemplate doing one more interval after your last. I am never, ever in that state. I probably do mine too fast (when I do them, which is not as often as I should).
and I won’t disagree with what your saying. I guess why sessions like those are labeled as ‘Fartlek’ are because its continuous running even with the slow recovery jog, which doesn’t allow your HR to get back down.

my goal is a better 2km time as my s&c coach knows. the first rep I did was way to fast 🤣 and on Garmin you just see my splits get longer. Honestly because it was my first session I always strive to be better all feedback is good feedback.

im not afraid to say, I was mentally ******* weak, I’m getting better but I always tell myself “one more set, one more”

my usual interval sessions are 200m sprint 200m walk, where I can get quality reps in with the walk recovery

Oct 7, 2009
The Y Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree. Trundling along, turn the corner and it feels like it’s straight up. I did the fun run a couple of times around 10 years ago. And in about half the time I could do it now :)
I must admit, I have always struggled to comprehend how they classify Nail Can as a ''fun run'' ;):D
When you run/jog/walk an incline, extend your arms in front of you and still touch the ground, it ceases to be fun:'(

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
and I won’t disagree with what your saying. I guess why sessions like those are labeled as ‘Fartlek’ are because its continuous running even with the slow recovery jog, which doesn’t allow your HR to get back down.

my goal is a better 2km time as my s&c coach knows. the first rep I did was way to fast 🤣 and on Garmin you just see my splits get longer. Honestly because it was my first session I always strive to be better all feedback is good feedback.

im not afraid to say, I was mentally ******* weak, I’m getting better but I always tell myself “one more set, one more”

my usual interval sessions are 200m sprint 200m walk, where I can get quality reps in with the walk recovery
Yep was going to add that to my last post Short intervals usually go with total recovery. Longer ones = partial recovery

Yep was going to add that to my last post Short intervals usually go with total recovery. Longer ones = partial recovery
I have never experienced a minute go by so fast than today LOL

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I must admit, I have always struggled to comprehend how they classify Nail Can as a ''fun run'' ;):D
When you run/jog/walk an incline, extend your arms in front of you and still touch the ground, it ceases to be fun:'(
Do you know what kind of grade (%) the hill is? There's an evil trail run called the Rollercoaster in the Dandenongs that has some ridiculous bits in it that barely anyone can run. The worst one is around 40%, which might not sound like much but is hard enough to walk up. I've never even tried to run it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back