Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to physio today. He told me I should be right to play cricket this weekend.

I didn't tell him I've played the last 2 weeks.😉
Lol, happens all the time. I just had a mate who smashed a half-century with three bulging discs in his back.

Went out for a weighted run (45kg rucksack) this morning but at the 35km mark felt a slight calf pull. Had been doing 3:00 kms until then.

Changed tack and trained inside after that. Did 2x bodyweight chins (TT held on to me like a koala to provide the load (ahem)) for about 10 sets.

Felt there was still a bit left in the tank after that so threw in a superset of squats and deadlifts. Olympic bar, 200kg in plates slapped on. Thought I was moving it a bit too ballistically so added some bands just to "keep it honest".

Don't actually own a squat rack so cleaned it up and overhead for the squat sets. That probably took at least 50% off what I could've used for the work sets.

Finished with a 55 minute high intensity kickboxing circuit as a warm-down.

#humblebrag
Soft.

Go harder.

This thread is super inspiring. Keep it up, folks. Even KC with his budding fiction career.

I reckon my Strava GPS is on the fritz. It says I've hit 5:00 m/km on each of my last 5km but I cant trust it because the route it says I ran is definitely not accurate. Unless I passed out and did run through a gate at Marvel and across the 50m arc haha.

Anyway, after moving recently I'm now running around either Marvel or Flagstaff Garden of an evening a few times a week so if you see someone running around there (which is very rare obviously) it could be me!

Everytime someone mentions Strava I think of Arthur Cloke. I'd never heard of it before that.
Yeah Clokey is good mates with Chuck Norris. s**t Chuck had the best time up Alton Road Mount Macedon for years on Strava. Even Mitch Docker couldn't keep up with him. :stern look

Yeah Clokey is good mates with Chuck Norris. sh*t Chuck had the best time up Alton Road Mount Macedon for years on Strava. Even Mitch Docker couldn't keep up with him. :stern look
He's a machine. They both are - Clokey and Chuck Norris.

A mate of mine crashed coming down that road once, at about 80km/hr he said. Awesome road rash but the old foam stack hat (the ones with the polyester cover thing) was split three ways. If it wasn't for the bit of cloth holding his helmet together his head would have been as well.

I had a few $$$ to spend so I decided to splurge on supplements with the advice of my favourite fitness guys, nine to five fitness and anabolic gabe.

credentials of NTF, gabe (left) road cycling and powerlifting (natural on turkesterone) and Louis (gym and footy also natural) EE736FDB-9473-409E-9E6C-646407B11298.jpeg

I do highly rate them if you are looking to perform at your best and still want to be natty, they have an amazing podcast as well. They really helped me through lockdown as well.

they also have affordable gym programs & running programs if you are looking for it. It daunting to buy supplements I can’t lie but because they do cycling/footy and hit the gym they provide great reviews.

so what I brought:
Endura - rehydration energy fuel: 20grams of carbs each scoop great if you need another burst of energy in endurance sports, will help me with cycling and footy.

emerald labs whey protein: do I need to explain hahaha if you want a lower calorie go for the muscle nation protein powder.

emerald labs multi vitamin: good for the immune system.

EHP labs beyond BCAA + EAA: new blend by EHP labs that’s shown it’s more effective to have them combined, will be using after workout to aid recovery.

To all the cyclists out there, what should I be investing in (apart from a carbon fibre bike in the future🤪)

For Christmas I am getting just a basic road bike. I was looking at getting Garmin edge 130 plus, any suggestions on better ones?

because the road bike I am going to get doesn’t have the clip pedals should I get them now?

also I was thinking to maximise my training is to get a VO2 and Lactate test done, I have been watching a lot of Cam Nicholls and the place he goes to both tests combined costs around $200. It will also give me a range of my training zones instead of roughly estimating.

should I also invest in a indoor trainer? For like zwift?
TBH I think the best thing is to get the bike and get riding. I'd get clip in pedals, a not-too-expensive computer and not worry about the rest for now. Bikes can be a bottomless pit of money as there's always an upgrade you can make. Indoor bike training is boring AF. I reckon most indoor trainers sit there gathering dust (mine certainly does) and it's actually decent weather for riding outside. I'm not sure about the need for a V02 / lactate test on the bike. i don't know how you can accurately replicate them without measuring power and, unless it has changed recently, that is expensive. Get some ks in and make friends with some hills.

I went on my first bike ride with my road bike!

it was a short 20min ride just to get used to the breaks, gears and riding on the road. Tbh it was daunting but luckily there weren’t cars on the road.

I kinda stuffed my wheels a bit breaking in gravel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went on my first bike ride with my road bike!

it was a short 20min ride just to get used to the breaks, gears and riding on the road. Tbh it was daunting but luckily there weren’t cars on the road.

I kinda stuffed my wheels a bit breaking in gravel
Cool. A bit of gravel shouldn't hurt your wheels (unless it leads to crashing). I guess you can get some between your brake pads and the rim but it'll come out. Please post more of your rides. Might inspire me to get back on my bike. Also need to run more, swim more and especially recover / rehab more.

Cool. A bit of gravel shouldn't hurt your wheels (unless it leads to crashing). I guess you can get some between your brake pads and the rim but it'll come out. Please post more of your rides. Might inspire me to get back on my bike. Also need to run more, swim more and especially recover / rehab more.
Yeah it was just downhill so I don’t wanna wear them out too quickly.

for sure! Next ride will be to Merri creek hehehe but lowkey really wanna get into zwift

Went to the gym for the first time in what's gotta be a year or so. Signed up for 3 months and have my first session. Pretty light one but feels good to be feeling sore again. Man I'm really weak atm though, hopefully I can build some strength and lose some weight in the coming months.

I don't usually do new year's resolutions but I've made one this year, which is to do rehab / maintenance so I'm not sore or injured half of the time. I've been doing stuff for hammies and calves for all of a week and got through my weekly long run without super tight hammies by the end for once. Achilles are still crap but it's a start.

I have a rough plan of my late pre season training lol, not very organised this season partly because I’m doing 38+ hours per week and in the last 3 weeks or 2 I’ve only had 2 days off which was Christmas Day and last Wednesday.

my rough plan consists of 3 running sessions and 2 bike sessions with 2/3 gym sessions? Not too sure yet.

Running: 2 base training sessions trying to regain my tank and a speed session.

bike: not too sure, waiting to get paid and will sus out an indoor smart trainer and set up swift. Watched a lot of swift videos lately and it just looks appealing and right up my alley.

gym: following a program from prepare like a pro :)

Fairly confident that I can get to my best before the pre season starts but I’m a bit underdone because of my ankle.

I have a rough plan of my late pre season training lol, not very organised this season partly because I’m doing 38+ hours per week and in the last 3 weeks or 2 I’ve only had 2 days off which was Christmas Day and last Wednesday.

my rough plan consists of 3 running sessions and 2 bike sessions with 2/3 gym sessions? Not too sure yet.

Running: 2 base training sessions trying to regain my tank and a speed session.

bike: not too sure, waiting to get paid and will sus out an indoor smart trainer and set up swift. Watched a lot of swift videos lately and it just looks appealing and right up my alley.

gym: following a program from prepare like a pro :)

Fairly confident that I can get to my best before the pre season starts but I’m a bit underdone because of my ankle.

Good luck mate. I find I really struggle balancing running/gym/work

Good luck mate. I find I really struggle balancing running/gym/work
Thanks mate, same here but I need discipline and it’s okay we can smash it

Well reading this thread, it is both equally inspiring and frustating. Well done to everyone putting in the work!

My achilles is still cooked but working with an EP to build the tendon strength. Slow going. Thankfully the golfers elbow is almost gone, so crossfit will be back on the cards once the achilles is firing. Been cycling a bit, punched out some regular bay swims and got a surf in this morning. All well and good but am in desperate need of a proper long run or a genuine old school flogging. Achilles tendinopathy can eat a big old bag of d.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back