Analysis Health of the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
There is a lot of heat on Woosha, and Dodo, and our leaders, and the way we move the pill into the forward line.

Seems to me that maybe our fitness and medical staff maybe should be under the microscope. I don't even know who they are but boy it seems we always have players breaking down. Is it just as bad at other clubs? Is it the body type of player that we recruit? Or the way they are treated and trained? Or are we just cursed?

Who are they and do you guys rate them?

Sure does not help in getting any continuity into the team that is selected and really is having an impact on this and last years season.

Justin Crow is in charge and I have not seen anything to suggest that he does his job well.

It probably seems a lot worse than it is. Though it's still not great.

Brown had never been durable, for example, and neither has Fantasia.

Laverde had a lot of bad luck before last year but he's also been poorly managed for 18 months (though that's game time related).

Smith has no PCL which has been a long standing problem.

I'd combine the injuries with a real lack of physical development or really slow development as enough of a reason to sack Crow and ors.

I have a recollection of Ross Lyon talking about "meat and potatoes" in his early days at St Kilda as being a new attitude toward conditioning (and in response to injury problems).

It's time for meat and potatoes and maybe some sauerkraut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a recollection of Ross Lyon talking about "meat and potatoes" in his early days at St Kilda as being a new attitude toward conditioning (and in response to injury problems).
Mmm. St Kilda revolutionised their fitness with a simple program of "more squats" and in doing so became one of a number of teams who fielded sides filled with heavier, harder-running players than at any time before or a since. Coincidentally, this was also about the time Essendon got sprung running an amateur-hour doping scheme to try to catch up.

If we do end up with some coaching changes at the end of this year, I would expect they toss the conditioning staff out with them

The amount of soft tissue injuries and recurring problems/mismanagement is at a point where it is borderline amateur

We have 22 players that haven't been injured or managed this year:
Aaron Francis
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Noah Gown
Jordan Houlahan
Mark Baguley
Irving Mosquito
Tom Bellchambers
Kyle Langford
Dyson Heppell
Matt Guelfi
Zach Merrett
Darcy Parish
Andrew McGrath
Dylan Clarke
Brayden Ham
Michael Hurley
Patrick Ambrose
Conor McKenna
Adam Saad
Ben McNiece
Michael Hartley
Jordan Ridley

Myers and Zaharakis have both been managed once or twice. The rest have all had one sort of injury or another in the last 3 months and missed games because of it.

I don't know how that stacks up against other clubs or our own previous seasons but it seems extraordinarily.

We have 22 players that haven't been injured or managed this year:
Aaron Francis
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Noah Gown
Jordan Houlahan
Mark Baguley
Irving Mosquito
Tom Bellchambers
Kyle Langford
Dyson Heppell
Matt Guelfi
Zach Merrett
Darcy Parish
Andrew McGrath
Dylan Clarke
Brayden Ham
Michael Hurley
Patrick Ambrose
Conor McKenna
Adam Saad
Ben McNiece
Michael Hartley
Jordan Ridley

Myers and Zaharakis have both been managed once or twice. The rest have all had one sort of injury or another in the last 3 months and missed games because of it.

I don't know how that stacks up against other clubs or our own previous seasons but it seems extraordinarily.

Gown didn’t play today, could be another.

The league injury list is normally ~100 names long, not including those tagged available/test , so at any given moment about 1 in 8 players in the league are injured. If the average injury is 2-3 weeks and they're distributed evenly, 22 of 44 players would cop them over 10 weeks.

Stringer - Hammy, TBD
Shiel - Hammy , TBD
Daniher - Calf (6 weeks) and groin (season)
McKernan - Hammy (6 weeks)
Stewart - groin - indefinite
Fantasia - quad (twice) - 5 weeks
Laverde - hamstring - 2 weeks
Mynott (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Smith - ongoing knee lesion - season

That is an inordinate amount of soft tissue injuries in 10 games. (not including contact and bone injuries like Redman, Draper, Brown, Gleeson).

Questions must be asked

If we do end up with some coaching changes at the end of this year, I would expect they toss the conditioning staff out with them

The amount of soft tissue injuries and recurring problems/mismanagement is at a point where it is borderline amateur

I would look at turfing the recruiting department too we don't draft enough tough footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back