Autopsy Heartbreaking loss to swans by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

In my earlier post I detailed our injury list during Buck's Tenure. I now highlight our injury list over the 2017/2018 in comparison to the Tigers.

Saw 5 Pies play every game (22) – Adams, Crisp, WHE, Maynard & Sidey. Moore put together his best season (played 21 games) following two years of persistent injuries. We recruited Wells via FA and he booked straight into the Medico’s room.
Varcoe missed 14 games
Scharenberg and Wells each missed 12 games
Langdon missed 11 games
Sinclair missed 9 games
Broomhead & De Goey both missed 8 games
Reid missed 7 games
Greenwood & Pendles both missed 6 games
Elliott missed 5 games

This year we have had 7 Pies play all the games to date (19) – Crisp, Grundy, Phillips, Sidey, Thomas, WHE and Stephenson
Broomhead, Elliott and Fasolo have missed 19 games. Did not count the 10 minutes Fasolo & Broomy played)
Wells has missed 15 weeks
Aish, Moore and Reid have each missed 13 games
Greenwood has missed 10 weeks
Treloar and Varcoe have both missed 6 games
Dunn has missed 5 games but will be out for the foreseeable future
De Goey has missed 5 games
Maynard has missed 4 games
Langdon has missed 4 games
Appleby has missed 3 games
Cox, Howe & Scharenberg have each missed 2 games however Scharenberg will be out for the next 12 months

Richmond
Tigers had 9 players play all 25 games (Astbury, Castagna, Cotchin, Ellis Grigg, Grimes, Martin, Rance & Rioli) & 6 players play 24 games
2017:
Vlastuin missed 7 games
Houli & Short missed 4 games
Caddy, Edwards & Prestia missed 3 games
Riewoldt missed 2 games

2018:
Tigers have had 7 players play all games to date (Edwards, Grimes, Lambert, Nankervis, Rance, Riewoldt, Short). Astbury, Castagna, Cotchin, Grigg & Martin have missed one game
Rioli has missed 11 games
Prestia has missed 10 games
Houli has missed 9 games
Ellis has missed 4 games
Caddy has missed 2 games
Needs a bar chart.

That's often what happens, teams expend a lot of energy just to get back into games and they take a lot of chances to do it, but it leaves them more (a) physically drained and (b) vulnerable to individual error. If we'd mustered some collective resolve in the 3rd quarter then we wouldn't have been in that position, but instead we displayed what might have been our longest lapse in a game of footy this season.

To put it another way, the ease with which we surrendered the game in the 3rd made it very difficult to win back in the 4th.
But they were still v lucky to get that last goal although there was a bit of lack of composure in our shellshocked defense for that goal.

anyone what how many injuries in total that is this year with Moore's hammy recurrence?

Four I think

But what is really killing us, is the injury or hamstring tightness occurring in a game. Soemone posted earlier that's happened three times this year, and we went on to lose each of those games when Darcy couldn't play on.

That's an extraordinary stat, and I dont recall the likes of it for one of our players in half a century of watching footy. I know we have had our share of bad luck and mismanagement over that time, but what's going on with Darcy is breaking new ground.

Feeling very despondent about it. I genuinely think we have been a very good side this year, but we cant beat these injuries.

Watched the last quarter replay last night.

Bad luck and injuries aside had we kicked straight we would have won that game easily. It was ours for the taking; the Swans plucked that final goal and took the points but it was not a strong win for them. We let that game go, simple.

This brings me to how fantastic and resilient this group of young men are; we should all be if not proud then content that the future is bright.

On the injury front, the club cannot possibly continue on its current trajectory. It needs to leave no stone unturned until we can figure out what the hell we need to fix.

Think the criticism of the team and especially Pendles and Sidey is harsh. We have a big injury list, lost a vital player early and were beaten by a freak goal. There was no lack of trying. Swans may have been down the last few weeks but they are still a capable side who sit equal with us on the ladder. It was never a walkover type game and they did well in their attempts to stifle Pendles and Sidey.

We are still well in this season and it's hard to see us not play finals. That will be a great building block for us. We have improved but we need to improve more. If we can snag 3 wins we will go top 4. Plenty to play for still

This wasn't heartbreaking …this was just poor all round.
We all knew it was an 8 point danger game and the club knew it too.
How we allowed a first gamer hold the competitions best forward and probably all time great, so many 1v1s inside 50 was deplorable.

My Monday morning so so much better though because at 10am Keisuke Honda is arriving at Melbourne Victory.

It’s incredible to think we are so lucky this year. One Garry Ablett kick a little further to the left and one goal umpire feeling the post wobble after Jenkins hit it and we would be in 9th place right now
And one fluke kick from Sydney dribbling the wrong way... we in third.

On such things seasons are made

Basically said what we’re doing is not working......no s**t Collingwood.

Send him OS this week.......enough is enough.
But surely this time it was his "good” hammy? I’d agree if it was the same one again.

But surely this time it was his "good” hammy? I’d agree if it was the same one again.

I don't know which one is his good or bad one at the moment. :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm late to the party in this thread, what a deflating result! Was watching on a bit of a delay Saturday night as I had some trouble getting my young fella down to bed.

Watching that third quarter was hard, but the fight back and ticker shown in the last quarter was great to see. The injuries are taking their toll now, hopefully we can get a few bodies back this week and have another red hot crack

I hate your club, which is fantastic. It means both clubs are now revelant again. Used to love as a kid throwing rocks at magpies on tree's. I dont know, it gave me a feeling like i was adding a little good to humanity with each throw, only kidding for the hippies on this board, i love animals.

Just wanted to post now after the dust has settled after the game. At first I just was the belief you had a soft draw, then i had the belief most of your injuries were to potatoes so was helping more then hindering but the facts are what they are, you have a shell of a team playing against sydney and you ran them to the line and never once gave up.

That is the stuff that makes a club and gives pride to supporters. I seriously am going to have about 15 showers now to clean the dirt off what Im about to say now. You guys have my respect and have built now a bloody good TEAM, not a group with some names running around but a TEAM.

Hats of to your club. I dont hope you will perform next year, I now know that you blokes will be a force for the next 5 years and in all honesty, im stoked. I really hope we butt heads in finals, grand finals for many years.

Anyway, all the best for your finals run

I hate your club, which is fantastic. It means both clubs are now revelant again. Used to love as a kid throwing rocks at magpies on tree's. I dont know, it gave me a feeling like i was adding a little good to humanity with each throw, only kidding for the hippies on this board, i love animals.

Just wanted to post now after the dust has settled after the game. At first I just was the belief you had a soft draw, then i had the belief most of your injuries were to potatoes so was helping more then hindering but the facts are what they are, you have a shell of a team playing against sydney and you ran them to the line and never once gave up.

That is the stuff that makes a club and gives pride to supporters. I seriously am going to have about 15 showers now to clean the dirt off what Im about to say now. You guys have my respect and have built now a bloody good TEAM, not a group with some names running around but a TEAM.

Hats of to your club. I dont hope you will perform next year, I now know that you blokes will be a force for the next 5 years and in all honesty, im stoked. I really hope we butt heads in finals, grand finals for many years.

Anyway, all the best for your finals run

Likewise mate, I don't like the Tigers anymore. :)

I have married into a Richmond family, and for a while the Tigers were like a 2nd favorite side.

Now, I no longer "like" Richmond, but I do respect them. I'm sure that's your preference; who wants mercy likes anyway?

sorry I included PCL.. Aish for the life of me there is someone else on the tip of my fingers lol.
Think you will find there is only 3. Not really only. Hopefully next year isnt the only year we have none.

Really struggling to recover from this one. Was heartbreaking in so many ways.

Mason Cox needs a big week at training in front of goals. His last quarter misses were telling. Played a good game, but just couldn't kick the goals we needed.

Reckon Brodie Grundy is single handedly keeping us competitive right now. Adams is in good nick as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back