Heath Grundy vs Cale Hooker vs Michael Hurley

Who would you pick as a defender if one of these players could start there careers again?

• Heath Grundy

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Michael Hurley

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cale Hooker

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath Grundy, interestingly, his premiership aside, has next to no achievements to his name despite being universally recognised as one of the best in his position for a long time. In fact, he never even made an AA squad let alone the final 22. His B&F finishes aren't very flattering either - he came in 4th in 2015 and 3rd the year after - the only times he finished top 5, with only another couple of other finishes in the bottom ranks of the top 10.

I always thought he was better than that, and expected his B&F finishes would have been a lot better particularly in their finals years. I originally voted Grundy but if neither the AA selectors nor his own coaches ever saw him as a standout, then I've probably evaluated him wrong.

Hurley and Hooker on the other hand both have AA jumpers, Hurley with two of them. Hooker also won a club best and fairest. Hurley finished 3rd and 2nd in a couple of counts, and he's had another 5 top 10 finishes to date. Hooker in addition to his 2015 victory, came 2nd in 2014 and has another 4 top 10 finishes. Through individual career achievements, both have Grundy covered.

Of course, Grundy played in better teams so arguably, he had more competition for recognition when it came to best and fairests, since most of Sydney's stars played midfield.

My 2 cents: I'd rather Grundy's career, he was a really good defender and his longevity was great but don't think he's a more talented player than the Essendon 2. Hooker & Hurley both had better individual seasons at different stages of their careers without any team success. I think Hooker is really underrated, got some recognition a few years back but he was an excellent defender prior to being swung back & forward and having persistent back troubles. His intercept marking 2012-2016ish was 2nd to none.. Hurley also a good footballer but think he gets the recognition he deserves (sometimes more than he deserves) and while he can get the footy, his one on one defending in the air not as good as Hooker's... he's a competitor, pretty good at ground level and gives it everything but can really stink one out some days. His skills on both sides really good. Both really good players.

A lot of defenders are made to look better by good midfields set up in front of them with their ability to defend the whole ground too. So often over the years Essendon's ordinary midfields have left a revolving door through the centre of the ground for opposition sides and made it very difficult for the defenders so Hurley and Hooker had to do a lot more work than they may have with a better team around them.

If you're building a team from scratch I dunno who I'd take.

Heath Grundy, interestingly, his premiership aside, has next to no achievements to his name despite being universally recognised as one of the best in his position for a long time. In fact, he never even made an AA squad let alone the final 22. His B&F finishes aren't very flattering either - he came in 4th in 2015 and 3rd the year after - the only times he finished top 5, with only another couple of other finishes in the bottom ranks of the top 10.

I always thought he was better than that, and expected his B&F finishes would have been a lot better particularly in their finals years. I originally voted Grundy but if neither the AA selectors nor his own coaches ever saw him as a standout, then I've probably evaluated him wrong.

Hurley and Hooker on the other hand both have AA jumpers, Hurley with two of them. Hooker also won a club best and fairest. Hurley finished 3rd and 2nd in a couple of counts, and he's had another 5 top 10 finishes to date. Hooker in addition to his 2015 victory, came 2nd in 2014 and has another 4 top 10 finishes. Through individual career achievements, both have Grundy covered.

Of course, Grundy played in better teams so arguably, he had more competition for recognition when it came to best and fairests, since most of Sydney's stars played midfield.

He never got AA recognition because the media hammered a narrative onto his career that he was an old school dreary Bloods battler in defence when in reality he was a leading intercept marker for years, a leading rebounder for key position players and was rarely beaten badly. Swans fans on our board are adamant that he should have been AA in both 16 and 17 at least.

His B&F finishes arent surprising when he peaked alongside Lance Franklin and Brownlow contenders Kennedy, Parker and Hannebery all at their peak as well. Coaches loved McVeigh and Jack also so they got plenty of votes.

He is arguably the most underrated or overlooked player of the decade.

All three are really good defenders.

I'd take Hooker as his ability to intercept at a similar level to the best whilst taking your monsters like Hawkins has been very impressive. Grundy was extremely underrated over his career, even by yours truly though and would have been a worthy All Australian.

I would have said Hurley but an Essendon mate of mine rates hooker a lot higher due to one-on-one. He says Hurley always gets exposed that way
Peak Hurley was good one-on-one but 2019/20 Hurley has struggled.

Back