Heath Scotland Suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

good to know you already know your team line up 2 months out...

Not sure if serious or not. Especially considering my use of the word 'predicted' when describing the possible changes to a team you haven't beaten in the last 9 meetings.

The thread devoted to Scotland's suspension on your teams board is quite entertaining though.

I don't understand the mentality of suspending your own player for 2 matches for an incident that happened 12 months prior and has been dealt with by the courts. Either you sack the player because you don't want criminals representing your club, or you let them get on with it and let our courts of law handle these things. That's my opinion. Not really sure what this 2 match suspension will achieve.

The only reason clubs are taking this path is because they've been threatened into doing so by Mr Caring 'n' Sharing, Andrew Demetriou. If you don't do what Hitler says, he'll take away your draft picks, or your CBF handouts or he'll give you a fixture like Hawthorn has received for 2013. What a knob. He is the AFL CEO, but he acts like he is the emperor.

If Demetriou was so concerned about AFL footballers being good role models for our children, then why isn't he doing more to weed out the drug cheats. They've busted one guy in the past 20 years. At least sports like Cycling or Track & Field aren't afraid to unmask their cheats and receive some bad press.

The AFL are just s**t-scared of recieving of any bad publicity which may affect their "brand" and cost them sponsor dollars. It's this fear which drives their various agenda and decision-making.

I don't understand the mentality of suspending your own player for 2 matches for an incident that happened 12 months prior and has been dealt with by the courts. Either you sack the player because you don't want criminals representing your club, or you let them get on with it and let our courts of law handle these things. That's my opinion. Not really sure what this 2 match suspension will achieve.

The only reason clubs are taking this path is because they've been threatened into doing so by Mr Caring 'n' Sharing, Andrew Demetriou. If you don't do what Hitler says, he'll take away your draft picks, or your CBF handouts or he'll give you a fixture like Hawthorn has received for 2013. What a knob. He is the AFL CEO, but he acts like he is the emperor.

If Demetriou was so concerned about AFL footballers being good role models for our children, then why isn't he doing more to weed out the drug cheats. They've busted one guy in the past 20 years. At least sports like Cycling or Track & Field aren't afraid to unmask their cheats and receive some bad press.

The AFL are just s**t-scared of recieving of any bad publicity which may affect their "brand" and cost them sponsor dollars. It's this fear which drives their various agenda and decision-making.
It's all about the political correctness these days

I don't understand the mentality of suspending your own player for 2 matches for an incident that happened 12 months prior and has been dealt with by the courts. Either you sack the player because you don't want criminals representing your club, or you let them get on with it and let our courts of law handle these things.
How does that change when part of his defence was that the club will punish him so he should have a reduced penalty? I would also argue all clubs should be punishing players for incidents that make them look bad. There has to be something in between doing nothing and firing. It isn't binary like that.

So, if a player gets busted by the press snorting lines of coke in the bathroom of a night club, he should have no punishment for making the club look bad?

The football club are not in the bathroom "snorting lines of coke", so it doesn't reflect on that entity in the slightest.

It's simply not a footy club issue as far as I am concerned.

I can't speak for the over represented vicarious drama queen elements of society. I'm just not that susceptible to "grief pr0n"

I couldn't care about Carlton's ban.

I want to see how the court reacts now they are aware that Heath's fireman plea was not only fantasy but has been used to escape assault conviction in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

greennick said:
How does that change when part of his defence was that the club will punish him so he should have a reduced penalty?
Hopefully the judge would completely disregard this weak defence when assessing the penalty. Heath Scotland should receive no more leniency than you or I would receive.

Missing 2 games of football is not punishment for kicking the s**t out of someone. A stint in jail would be a fitting punishment. The 2 match suspension has nothing to do with justice. It's punishment for embarrassing the AFL and kicking the s**t out of their "brand".

greennick said:
I would also argue all clubs should be punishing players for incidents that make them look bad. There has to be something in between doing nothing and firing. It isn't binary like that.
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'm partly reacting to the people in this thread who don't barrack for Carlton, but who are applauding the Blues for taking a 'tough stand'.

Carlton can do whatever they like. I don't mean to tell them how to run their club. Just the opposite. It's none of our f***ing business. If I was a Carlton member, then maybe I would be in more of a position to applaud my club or give them the raspberry for taking action.

I just think it stinks the way AFL clubs are now held hostage by the scandal-mongering media and two-faced wowser rival fans. I want my club to support my players to the hilt, but also do what's in their best interests. Imagine it was a star player on the eve of the finals. How would a 2 match ban go then?

If a player keeps on f***ing up and they're just rotten apples then get rid of them, give em the sack.
This 1 match, 2 match suspension bullshit is just one of Demetriou's wet dreams

I want to see how the court reacts now they are aware that Heath's fireman plea was not only fantasy but has been used to escape assault conviction in the past.

How about you get a life or if you want to fix the court system lets move into to something that is a real problem and that's rapest and molesters only getting a few years. Oh but he plays for Carlton so for get anything else you want him punished coz of the club he plays for.

How about you get a life or if you want to fix the court system lets move into to something that is a real problem and that's rapest and molesters only getting a few years. Oh but he plays for Carlton so for get anything else you want him punished coz of the club he plays for.

Chill out. FFS!

My beef is more about people using flimsy excuses to dodge punishment than what club he plays for. As I said I could not care if Carlton banned him from 11 games or 1 intraclub match. I would not care if he played for Mordialoc.

And worrying about rape convictions is all well and good, does not mean I can't also be concerned with non-convictions for assault.

Richmond is basically a bye for Carlton. They just have them between the ears.
Carlton v Collingwood. The Malthouse Match-up. Certainly helps us, but I think this is a flip of the coin regardless of personnel. Always is. Always will be.

We lost by a shanked kick in the last game and were in the previous game until halfway through the last quarter.

Carlton led Collingwood all day to win comfortably in your last match and the previous encounter they hammered Collingwood by 60 points, I would say on form we are a much better bet to win the opening game this year than Collingwood is whenever they come up against Carlton, with the addition of MM it may be just too much pressure for figjam to deal with.

I think the court would be very aware of Scotland's previous court appearances. Just because the Herald Sun run a story saying "but he used that defence before" doesn't mean its news. I'd be highly surprised if the NSW DPP didn't mention his use of the same argument previously in Victoria.

He's previously slapped an ex-girlfriend who'd followed him into the male toilets to abuse him apparently. That was the year after the left the Pies, who it seems have a lot of issues with players assaulting other people - Ben Johnson, Dane Swan, Andrew Krakouer, Marley Williams, Ryan Cook, Scott Pendlebury, Travis Cloke ... oh hang on the last two were actually them getting belted for being smartarses. Anyway you get the picture.

Actually it was during his first season at Carlton, but you already knew that ;)

The football club are not in the bathroom "snorting lines of coke", so it doesn't reflect on that entity in the slightest.

It's simply not a footy club issue as far as I am concerned.

I can't speak for the over represented vicarious drama queen elements of society. I'm just not that susceptible to "grief pr0n"
I think these are the exact issues a footy club should be concerned about. If unchecked they'll just blow up and in my coke example you'll have another Ben Cousins on your hands.

I'm with you that I couldn't care less what the players are up to. However, for the sake of the club in the long run I think you need to have a hard line on incidents of poor behaviour. Otherwise you'll pay in the end. It may not play out in a big incident, but poor discipline is infectious.

I think these are the exact issues a footy club should be concerned about. If unchecked they'll just blow up and in my coke example you'll have another Ben Cousins on your hands.

From a football club perspective, I would be honored to have Ben Cousins.

Do you honestly believe that the AFL environment contributed to Bens addiction?

I'm with you that I couldn't care less what the players are up to. However, for the sake of the club in the long run I think you need to have a hard line on incidents of poor behaviour. Otherwise you'll pay in the end. It may not play out in a big incident, but poor discipline is infectious.

"Poor behavior" is when your actions interfere with the liberty or property of another person.

The whole club attachment aspect is based upon one thing, money.

I think the court would be very aware of Scotland's previous court appearances. Just because the Herald Sun run a story saying "but he used that defence before" doesn't mean its news. I'd be highly surprised if the NSW DPP didn't mention his use of the same argument previously in Victoria.
Not sure if he was found/pleaded guilty in the first instance though. If not, that 'excuse' certainly shouldn't be prejudicial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back