Traded Heath Shaw for Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Tay but will he ever be as good a player as Shaw is right now? Yes Collingwood will get more years out of Adams than GWS will get out of Shaw, but I reckon with Shaw bound to have a b&f plus two AA jumpers minimum then the Giants are way in front on this one and Adams will have to do something pretty special to catch up. If Shaw wins a flag at GWS and Adams does not at Collingwood, it's a clear win to GWS in my view.

Think its a win -win. The whole point of GWS getting those picks early on was to swap them for established players (even if they had to pay overs), at this point in time its worked for both.

If Adams keeps improving i would think pies win the trade as they get more years out of him, I did not think at the time Collingwood could challenge so it was in there best interests to trade out a senior player for a young 10 year player. They have a decent young midfield group coming through so i think both the recruitment team well with this trade and others. Im guessing rendell is still there? He always did well for the crows.

I like Tay but will he ever be as good a player as Shaw is right now? Yes Collingwood will get more years out of Adams than GWS will get out of Shaw, but I reckon with Shaw bound to have a b&f plus two AA jumpers minimum then the Giants are way in front on this one and Adams will have to do something pretty special to catch up. If Shaw wins a flag at GWS and Adams does not at Collingwood, it's a clear win to GWS in my view.
Adams will eventually be the captain of Collingwood, and it's unlikely Shaw would have produced the same quality he is now at the pies. Needed a fresh start to rejuvenate his game, as have many other players done in the past.
Win/win trade, GWS reaping the short term benefits, although Adams would be comfortably top 5 in our B&F as it stands, top 3 if he hadn't been injured.

Some guys need coaches that can get the most out of a player. Seems a lot of senior players at 1 club are having a similar issue.

Adams will eventually be the captain of Collingwood, and it's unlikely Shaw would have produced the same quality he is now at the pies. Needed a fresh start to rejuvenate his game, as have many other players done in the past.
Win/win trade, GWS reaping the short term benefits, although Adams would be comfortably top 5 in our B&F as it stands, top 3 if he hadn't been injured.

I would view that less as a "win-win" and more as a "time to be concerned about why we can't get a player's best form out of them".

This

I would view that less as a "win-win" and more as a "time to be concerned about why we can't get a player's best form out of them".
You'd be concerned about getting a future captain for a guy who despite his talent, had become stale and too comfortable in his surroundings? Ok then.

Why are the Pies still paying for Shaw's salary for winning the GWS B&F last year and probably this year?

Win-win, yes, but just adds a little * in my eyes to the Pies side on the win*.

Why are the Pies still paying for Shaw's salary for winning the GWS B&F last year and probably this year?

Its not a heap compared to what the Dogs paid Griffen to play for us. I do wonder how many clubs are doing trade deals like this though, some of the people involved in the club who have now moved on are quite innovative thinkers, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours of salary cap pressure are a bit of rouse to get more deals like this. Its a bit of a cherry on top.

I suspect lot of teams do that and we be giving GWS next to nothing. Think it was around 30-50k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhys Palmer springs to mind. Hoping Adams won't be a replica of him but we have to be honest and say he's got a skill set which is handy but by no means unique. If he fills Luke Ball's position that is valuable but he'll never be A grade in his position.
Still think this way about Taylor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back