Rumour Heath Shaw: '****ing *'

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed with the majority of comments in this thread, as someone who has worked with people with Intellectual Disabilities for a couple of decades I found Heath Shaw's comments highly offensive. People with an intellectual disability are either born with an Intellectual disability or have acquired it as a child through no fault of their own. For those of you that are excusing Heath's comments I ask you this "If you had a family member with an Intellectual Disability or knew someone with an intellectual Disability would you be offended by Heath's derogatory use of the word"

I have had the pleasure of watching a few Football Integration Development League (FIDA) games and have been directly involved with people who have played in these games the pride they feel and the joy on their faces when they pull on an AFL jumper is priceless. FIDA provides an environment that promotes fitness, fun, friendship and a sense of belonging. Through participation in Australian Rules Football, it enhances life skills and develops self-esteem, confidence and improved health. People with Intellectual Disabilities are some of the most passionate and loyal AFL supporters out there and Heath Shaw's comments are insulting to all people with Intellectual Disabilities and especially those 800 or so players who play in the FIDA league, there families and the hundreds of volunteers who devote their time and effort to give these people the opportunity to play the game they love.

Some time ago Heath spoke about his own struggles with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) which makes his comments all the more disappointing. I'm pleased that he has apologised but in my opinion a press release doesn't go far enough. I hope that sometime this week he will take the opportunity to front the media in some form or another and make a heartfelt apology.

It's similar to f***** (slur for gay people), acceptable in the past and still in common use today but not a good look for a public figure to use. Apologise and move on.

Eventually r***** and f***** will join the n-word in being universally unacceptable.
You don't know many Gay people then. The ones I know call every other Gay person f** w every opportunity.
Yeah, because the most important thing is retaining the basic human right to be an inconsiderate individual who has a negative impact on many others.
Being able to say what you want, so long as it doesn't promote violence is actually a right.
All rights have responsibilities however, so call someone something they are not and you can end up getting sued, civilly.

Really disappointed with the majority of comments in this thread, as someone who has worked with people with Intellectual Disabilities for a couple of decades I found Heath Shaw's comments highly offensive. People with an intellectual disability are either born with an Intellectual disability or have acquired it as a child through no fault of their own. For those of you that are excusing Heath's comments I ask you this "If you had a family member with an Intellectual Disability or knew someone with an intellectual Disability would you be offended by Heath's derogatory use of the word"

I have had the pleasure of watching a few Football Integration Development League (FIDA) games and have been directly involved with people who have played in these games the pride they feel and the joy on their faces when they pull on an AFL jumper is priceless. FIDA provides an environment that promotes fitness, fun, friendship and a sense of belonging. Through participation in Australian Rules Football, it enhances life skills and develops self-esteem, confidence and improved health. People with Intellectual Disabilities are some of the most passionate and loyal AFL supporters out there and Heath Shaw's comments are insulting to all people with Intellectual Disabilities and especially those 800 or so players who play in the FIDA league, there families and the hundreds of volunteers who devote their time and effort to give these people the opportunity to play the game they love.

Some time ago Heath spoke about his own struggles with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) which makes his comments all the more disappointing. I'm pleased that he has apologised but in my opinion a press release doesn't go far enough. I hope that sometime this week he will take the opportunity to front the media in some form or another and make a heartfelt apology.

The Olympic wheelchair rugby team called their minibus the veggie van, get a grip.

Or should I point out that swearing is a common element of ADHD and you're over-reacting and being hugely insensitive wanting Heath to front the media for such a nothing expletive.

Tell you what, go put the nearest ADHD person in a headlock, see if they have something nice to say to you after.

C'mon he could have been more offensive. For example "and stay off you Channel 7 football commentator"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Olympic wheelchair rugby team called their minibus the veggie van, get a grip.

Or should I point out that swearing is a common element of ADHD and you're over-reacting and being hugely insensitive wanting Heath to front the media for such a nothing expletive.

Tell you what, go put the nearest ADHD person in a headlock, see if they have something nice to say to you after.

The Olympic Wheelchair Rugby Team can call themselves what they like and if needed defend their decision to do so.

Swearing is sometimes associated with people diagnosed with ADHD but not all those that are diagnosed with ADHD swear, much in the same way that some people diagnosed with High Functioning Autism may be able to remember the name of everyone they ever met others with the same diagnosis may not.

People with Intellectual Disabilities are diagnosed as having an IQ of lower than 70 (the average IQ is 100) and may struggle to verbally defend themselves against derogatory comments or become upset when they hear the word that Heath used even if it is not directed specifically at them. Heath chose to use the word in a derogatory manner in much the same way others use derogatory words to describe someones sexuality, color of their skin or culture.

As an advocate for people with Intellectual Disabilities I'm disappointed in what Heath said. I appreciate that he recognised that his comments offended others and that he took immediate steps to apologise and not defend his actions like you have. It will be interesting to see if Heath decides to make any further comments on the matter during the week.

Last edited:

OK......... I'll phrase it another way:

If you had a child, family member or were close to someone with an Intellectual Disability and someone directly called that person what Heath called Papley (a derogatory term to describe ones intellect) would you be offended? If the answer is "YES" then you should be able to rationalise and understand that the same word shouldn't be used by others in a derogatory manner directed towards another person even if that person doesn't have an Intellectual Disability.

If your answer is still "NO" then I'd be interested in your explanation.

Reminds me of an incident last year at my work where some uptight dork woman I work with asked me my thoughts on gay marriage and whether I support it, and when I shrugged my shoulders and said 'Yeah I guess. I don't really care, it doesn't affect me' she walked off in a huff. I later found out from other co-workers that she was angry at me and said I was being homophobic.

OK......... I'll phrase it another way:

If you had a child, family member or were close to someone with an Intellectual Disability and someone directly called that person what Heath called Papley (a derogatory term to describe ones intellect) would you be offended? If the answer is "YES" then you should be able to rationalise and understand that the same word shouldn't be used by others in a derogatory manner directed towards another person even if that person doesn't have an Intellectual Disability.

If your answer is still "NO" then I'd be interested in your explanation.

There's a link for sure. But you can't expect everyone to come to the same conclusion or have the same understanding. And where does it end? Someone makes homophobic comments to a straight dude and I have to be offended on behalf of all my gay friends? Someone makes a racist remark to the Bulldogs trainer and I have to put my energy into thinking how disheartened all the Chinese nationals feel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we are not meant to use the word * on people with actual mental disabilities. You can't have your cake and eat it too

Ok well this is my two cents

Heaters actions cant be condoned, and it was silly thing to say. It was in the heat of the moment and this does mitigate somewhat as he was being choked shortly before.
If he wasn't contrite and didn't apologise unreservably it's potentially career ending, by the club acting if the AFL doesn't. It was never likely he wouldn't though and while he's a different personality nothing indicates he's a bigot.
He has now apologised and shown contrition as expected.
A fine possibly from the club or the AFL now looks likely. Expect the club to require some form of comunity service related to special needs children.

There's a link for sure. But you can't expect everyone to come to the same conclusion or have the same understanding. And where does it end? Someone makes homophobic comments to a straight dude and I have to be offended on behalf of all my gay friends? Someone makes a racist remark to the Bulldogs trainer and I have to put my energy into thinking how disheartened all the Chinese nationals feel?

I suppose it ends where you want it to end!

How you feel about the world, it's issues and relate to the people in it makes you the unique person that is you and you alone! I guess it has a lot to do with what your exposed to, family values, culture, the media, education, life experience and a myriad of other things! What makes one person irate (for example the homophobic comment scenario or the racism issue you mentioned above) may be like water off a ducks back to another. If you feel strongly enough you take a stand if not then you don't, when you don't feel strongly either way then I suppose you try and keep an open mind and see where your values take you or not.

I usually stick to strictly football related issues on BF. However, on this occasion my background in working with people with Intellectual Disabilities brought me to this thread and I felt passionate enough about this issue to post my thoughts and opinions.

But we are not meant to use the word ****** on people with actual mental disabilities. You can't have your cake and eat it too

If your referring to the line below in my original post:

"If you had a family member with an Intellectual Disability or knew someone with an intellectual Disability would you be offended by Heath's derogatory use of the word"

On second read perhaps you and possibly others may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. If it read as below then you may think differently about that sentence in my post? If not can you please elaborate

"If you had a family member with an Intellectual Disability or knew someone with an intellectual Disability would you be offended by Heath's derogatory use of the ****** word"

Im really disappointed that someone who is such a SJW and is so willing to call other out, would have a sig about someone being someone elses BITCH!!! Are you a misogynist?

For gods sake, it was a name while he was being held in a headlock. Your moral superiority is not warranted!

People sitting back here on a forum or in the media trying to hang a footballer for what he says on a footy field in the heat of battle are absolute dills.

I hope the word dills is acceptable for the PC brigade.
Battle? It's just a game.

PS - this isn't the umpire sub forum

Yeah, I know, r***** will be the next word to join that list. It's just not on to use insults based on race, sexuality and eventually mental disability.

Just disability in general.

The sort of disabilities where such people can't talk, defend themselves or articulate their feelings it's a low hanging fruit and so the R word and S word aren't acceptable for me.

I absolutely hate the casual use of the R and S words but I understand why they're used.

FWIW, I have a disability and, while no one at school used those words at me, I have heard it plenty of times and, have mistakenly used it casually while quoting Napoleon Dynamite lines.

I hate what Heater said but I'm not hanging, drawing or quartering him.

s**t happens.
Some insults should be wiped from the dictionary.
Move on.

You don't know many Gay people then. The ones I know call every other Gay person f** w every opportunity.
Gangsta rappers use "the N word". Guess that makes it ok for this whiteboy to throw around?
Being able to say what you want, so long as it doesn't promote violence is actually a right.
All rights have responsibilities however, so call someone something they are not and you can end up getting sued, civilly.
Unsurprisingly you are incorrect. You from adelaide? Check section 7 of the summary offences act, you just might save yourself from a police charge down the track.

Society is a joke. It's not like anyone hasn't called anyone a "******* *" before. It's common terminology.

That racist guy wasn't even that racist either. Would be over the top if he was banned from attending games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back