Opinion Heath Shaw return

its a chemical imbalance. its something that should be managed like depression is but he couldnt take his drugs because it affected his footy. . Its something he cannot control. In my opinion that gives his onfield behavior a pass. Off Field is a different story. He should have been managed better.
*’s sake.

So he’s allowed to consistently bring about negative outcomes on a regular basis for the team because he has ADD and can’t control it? That’s like saying we should’ve kept Shane O’Bree in our 22 in 2010 because for whatever reason he couldn’t control that his kicking mechanics were cooked, which made him a turnover merchant.

I loved Shaw and what he brought to the team but he burned the team constantly because he couldn’t control his emotions and because he regularly had brain fades. Combined with the other factors I’ve already laid it, the cost was far greater than the benefit.

I’m done with discussing this topic with you because it’s obvious you will never discuss the matter in a balanced manner.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
giphy.gif

Heath Shaw a fool....?
The bloke is a complete flog (premiership player or not)
If he couldn’t play footy he’d still be on TV. Crime stoppers on a Monday night.
Nah he’d pick up a job as a librarian.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Heath is too old, and clearly hasn't let go of the past. Life is too short to spend half of it in the rearview mirror.
I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion.

Probably becuase he likes his new coach better.
Very true, so he behaves.
Re the rear view mirror, you should know if you heard his answer to the question.
Time for him to move on.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Not that I think I was potting him myself, just talking about what was said, but are you suggesting you have never potted someone for having an opinion? Also, his opinion may be knowledgeable but also clearly very biased towards his side of the story.

I don’t remember ever potting a player, coach or poster for having an opinion. I’ve definitely potted the opinions of plenty on here who have NFI (I did it in the pre-game thread yesterday), but not for having it because the whole point of the site is to share opinions. I hope I’ve expressed that correctly.

Aren’t all opinions biased when you perceive yourself to have specific knowledge on a topic? For instance a WC supporter comes in this week and makes a valid negative POV re our players or coach how do you think that will be perceived by the collective? What about if Buckley told you in confidence that if he had his time over he’d have handled Heath differently? Would that change anything?

The only interest I take out of the bump having had 24 hours to think on it is whether 2013 Shaw would fit in under 2018 Buckley. I personally think the answer is yes. Which to me is both a negative and positive for both Buckley and Shaw so I’ll stick to my original thoughts because we don’t see enough of that straight shooting from players anymore, IMO. I also have empathy for Heath who I think felt, and probably still does feel, a great sense of pride in wearing the jumper. Something I couldn’t say the same of for Oxley. One remains and the other doesn’t...

Edit: I think I’ve actually potted TG for having an opinion. I defended their posting for a time until it crossed a line and became out and out trolling in my eyes. I think it was aftser some complete bullshit directed towards Scharenberg. If he/ she isn’t a troll I feel pity for them because they’ve now disappeared completely as soon as the wheel has turned...

Last edited:
Loved Heater and miss what he brought to our team. I regret that he wasn't managed or assisted in a way that worked to his weaknesses, but he also has to accept some responsibility for that.

But the timing of this interview was poor. While still playing for GWS, he really shouldn't be discussing Collingwood matters. He's also got a bunch of former team mates who are looking to play finals for the first time in years, and they dont need to hear this stuff.

Maybe keep the raw honesty for when he is no longer playing? He could have deflected questions with a 'I'd prefer not to answer that now' or a 'I will come to terms with my former club in the future, but right now I'm focused on next week'.

I know these are stock standard AFL replies and deflections, but they have a place and time.

ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
When the interview took place he knew exactly what he was saying and the way it would be perceived you can tell that from interview,he done and dusted and has no relevance to Collingwood what so ever.
When I say he,s done and dusted it is only in relation to the Pies because he still plays alright but he is as big a dill as ever and that will not change.

Yep out of all the players around that time that left wether by forced or not only heater would be if still with us playing, the rest no chance
Ps l forgot about Beams. So only two would still in the team.

That was it Ducky not sure if he goes to the bench and does it but he definitely did in this game.

I reckon the Chineses Carlton Supporters have hacked the replay and banished the incident from history.

Love your work mate.
Yes i recall he went to the bench and did it. That's my memory anyway and I can still see it in my head.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Funny how a few years ago he knew he was the problem and said something along the line that hopefully we’d have him back.

Seems like his brother had got in his ear recently. That or maybe his buddy Beams had signalled his interest in returning and we’ve told him no thanks, and heater is being Beams’s mouthpiece and showing his displeasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beams hates Bucks. No chance he was coming here.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
its a chemical imbalance. its something that should be managed like depression is but he couldnt take his drugs because it affected his footy. . Its something he cannot control. In my opinion that gives his onfield behavior a pass. Off Field is a different story. He should have been managed better.

BF needs a few more options apart from only a LIKE option. DISLIKE and LOL would be good.

I'd LOL this post.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably becuase he likes his new coach better.

Poor Heath

Brainwashed by the swengali and couldn't accept change

Thought he was untouchable

Guess again

Same o' brien , Thomas

Very sad that they were not mature enough to accept it ala swanny

To shaws credit pulled his fingers out

He owes Rhys

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
decimating a premiership side because he couldnt handle the players is smart?
ok

Keeping a coach who everything he touched turn to s**t

West coast. How's those ex players going 2 drug overdoses and a armed robbers , how many years set back

Footsgray remember hardie and the mess left

Obrien , Thomas , wellingham, shaw all swengalied and damaged goods

Didak jolly johno tarrant dawes maxy ball all done age

What a gun coach, leader of men blah blah

I won't coach against my boys
I owe nathan and will support him , I owe the club

WHAT A HYPOCRITICAL CAMPAIGNER

1 flag WOOPEE on the back of bucks press
We went all in and paid him plenty

And please don't bring up 2002 and 2003 ( great teams full of guns)

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is not a boolean issue, one can still love Heath Shaw, but also be happy he is gone. That's where I lay my hat. Malthouse was/is an old school coach and not well prepared for the modern professional era we find ourselves in today. Buckley on the other hand is the prototype professional, always has been. I know who I'd rather as coach in 2018. Collingwood under Malthouse was filled with ego's that lasted longer than the players sporting careers. Darren Jolly embarrassing himself on National TV springs to mind. I for one, am glad for the culture shift that took place. It may have set us back initially, but long term we will be better off for it.

Heath Shaw said in the interview he wouldn't answer his phone if Buckley called him, which about says it all. If the roles were reversed I can't imagine Buckley doing the same thing to Heath. He is way to classy for that level of primary school petulant behaviour. Therein lies the difference.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best antidote?

Just win games.

Then the culture becomes good.

The players are good.

Everything good.

Lose games,
Everything custard.

westozpie

All Australian
Sep 30, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Keeping a coach who everything he touched turn to s**t

West coast. How's those ex players going 2 drug overdoses and a armed robbers , how many years set back

Footsgray remember hardie and the mess left

Obrien , Thomas , wellingham, shaw all swengalied and damaged goods

Didak jolly johno tarrant dawes maxy ball all done age

What a gun coach, leader of men blah blah

I won't coach against my boys
I owe nathan and will support him , I owe the club

WHAT A HYPOCRITICAL CAMPAIGNER

1 flag WOOPEE on the back of bucks press
We went all in and paid him plenty

And please don't bring up 2002 and 2003 ( great teams full of guns)
Spot on

westozpie

All Australian
Sep 30, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is not a boolean issue, one can still love Heath Shaw, but also be happy he is gone. That's where I lay my hat. Malthouse was/is an old school coach and not well prepared for the modern professional era we find ourselves in today. Buckley on the other hand is the prototype professional, always has been. I know who I'd rather as coach in 2018. Collingwood under Malthouse was filled with ego's that lasted longer than the players sporting careers. Darren Jolly embarrassing himself on National TV springs to mind. I for one, am glad for the culture shift that took place. It may have set us back initially, but long term we will be better off for it.

Heath Shaw said in the interview he wouldn't answer his phone if Buckley called him, which about says it all. If the roles were reversed I can't imagine Buckley doing the same thing to Heath. He is way to classy for that level of primary school petulant behaviour. Therein lies the difference.
Spot on

This thread has turned ridiculous.
Yes i am biased because he is in my all time top 5 Collingwood players, but in the interview he was asked questions and he answered them honestly. You all want lies? go watch all other player interviews where they talk in cliches and never answer the questions they are asked.
Let me ask you, if were in a workplace and they changed the management and you were told to go how would you talk about the work place you were at? Thats what happened to Heath. What is he supposed to say?
He is a Collingwood premiership player and was a huge key in winning that premiership. Is he perfect? not at all, But most of his mistakes were because he was passionate. Nat a bad trait at all
Whilst he is still playing I'd rather he spoke in cliches. There's an unspoken rule that you don't talk s**t about a club until your career is over, with good reason as per your next question. If I changed workplaces I definitely wouldn't be publicly rubbishing the former because:

It tells my current employer and co-workers that I have the propensity to bag them if things don't go my way.

It opens the door for my former employer to publicly reply with information about me I really don't want others to know about.

Someone from my former employment may end up as the boss at my current employment.

Most players retire from AFL at about 30 leaving them with 40 odd years of regular employment. CFC tends to look after it's former players post retirement. I wouldn't want to salt the earth in case I fall on hard times.

The whole thing just lacks forethought but then that's always been the way Shaw rolls.

Back