Opinion Heath Shaw return

Remove this Banner Ad

And a player who still averages 30+ disposals a game in poo team as well as elite disposal and capable of kicking his share of goals if rested forward.

One that plays every 4th game.

As a matter of interest I've never regarded Ablett's stats as evidence of being elite.

Malthouse said as much when he amassed 40 odd posessions against us in 2011. The deal breaker for me was the 2010 preliminary final when the commentators were salivating over how many times he touched it. 4 of those posessions came in the lead up to our first goal of the game. He takes the ball on half back flank gives off a handball, gets it back, kicks it backwards 40 metres runs back gets a handball gives it off gets it back and kicks it back to where he started. Harry marks and with one posession does more damage than Ablett's entire haul of the night, kicking it to a hot spot where Cloke marks.
That one passage of play sums Gary Ablett Jnr up for me. A great accumulator, given extra marks because his Dad was great. Let Geelong have him.

One that plays every 4th game.

As a matter of interest I've never regarded Ablett's stats as evidence of being elite.

Malthouse said as much when he amassed 40 odd posessions against us in 2011. The deal breaker for me was the 2010 preliminary final when the commentators were salivating over how many times he touched it. 4 of those posessions came in the lead up to our first goal of the game. He takes the ball on half back flank gives off a handball, gets it back, kicks it backwards 40 metres runs back gets a handball gives it off gets it back and kicks it back to where he started. Harry marks and with one posession does more damage than Ablett's entire haul of the night, kicking it to a hot spot where Cloke marks.
That one passage of play sums Gary Ablett Jnr up for me. A great accumulator, given extra marks because his Dad was great. Let Geelong have him.

Except for the fact of all those goals he kicked as a midfielder or the amount of Goal assists he gets etc etc.

He is a great kick and a great player. He is not a chip kick scab like you portray either.

Except for the fact of all those goals he kicked as a midfielder or the amount of Goal assists he gets etc etc.

He is a great kick and a great player. He is not a chip kick scab like you portray either.
Not disputing he was a great player. I doubt he has much worth now. I think he's overrated because of who he is.
He does get a lot of cheap kicks - as do many "gun" midfielders - the little cheapies around the back give nothing compared to making an option 20 -30 metres down the field. Stats are not a measure of a players worth - hurt factor is and G Ablett jnr holds very little scare factor compared to Bartel, Chapman or Johnson, all of whom I regard to be better players than he has been. Sure, he has great speed and he can kick, but will he make Geelong better next year compared to what they have to give up? I honestly don't know. I think he's cooked

From a list management perspective it would be as pointless as recruiting Wells.
Shaw would make us a better side but we'd still be well off the pace and he wouldn't have long enough left to play in a flag for us.

Recruiting Heath Shaw makes as much sense as getting Chris Dawes back to the club.

Actually Dawes had a fair season with Sorrento for what it's worth. Another premiership medal to go with his one for the pies.

This business about Ablett going back to Geelong has got me thinking about our Heater, and a possible return to Collingwood. I believe his contract at GWS ends at the end of next season. He will be 33 in 2019. He loves the Pies and might just consider a return if the coach has changed. Would you have him back?

He might prove to be too old, but I'd love Heater to return because he is Collingwood. When asked he told my brother that "...he would come back (to the club) in a heart-beat when one bloke is gone."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Heater return to the Pies in the Nick Maxwell runner role he does at the giants.

How good would it be to see Heater and Maxy go head to head in Pink!
I'd like to see Maxy back in a coaching role, not line but perhaps something along the lines of mental preparation / confidence

Not disputing he was a great player. I doubt he has much worth now. I think he's overrated because of who he is.
He does get a lot of cheap kicks - as do many "gun" midfielders - the little cheapies around the back give nothing compared to making an option 20 -30 metres down the field. Stats are not a measure of a players worth - hurt factor is and G Ablett jnr holds very little scare factor compared to Bartel, Chapman or Johnson, all of whom I regard to be better players than he has been. Sure, he has great speed and he can kick, but will he make Geelong better next year compared to what they have to give up? I honestly don't know. I think he's cooked

Agree with you to some extent CP, namely that (a) he did get cheap possessions and (b) his body might be cooked.

We shouldn't discount how good he has been though. His dedication (eating paleo, developing enormous core strength) at his peak made him a freak. He was virtually impossible to bring down.

IF his body holds up he'll be a weapon for Geelong next year; even if he only plays 15 games - together w' Danger and Selwood they'll be scary good.

He does get a lot of cheap kicks - as do many "gun" midfielders - the little cheapies around the back give nothing compared to making an option 20 -30 metres down the field.

I said this 3 months ago and got smashed on the main board.

If it means Josh Smith doesn't play again I'm all for it.

Recruiting Heath Shaw makes as much sense as getting Chris Dawes back to the club.

Actually Dawes had a fair season with Sorrento for what it's worth. Another premiership medal to go with his one for the pies.
And you can add Daisy & Wellingham as well. No thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back