Rumour Heath Shaw to GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Culture. :(

As a player he'd be a nice pick-up, but I really don't like a player with his history in a team with a leadership group all five years or so younger than him.

Shouldn't this be in the draft and trading thread?

My view is that if a talented player is being shoped around due to unhealthy culture problems then bringing said player to such a young group is a disastrous move. The seniors we have previously brought in are well known role models and hard workers. Players like power, McDonald and cornes all oozed leadership and provided a strong culture to the playing group. Even ward, scully, Palmer and Davis were all hard trainers and it's shone through with people admiring the endeavor and tenacity of our group of youngsters hence why everyone wants a peice of them!

Personally I think Heath Shaw would be an excellent pick up. We need an experienced hard nut down back as our boys are still developing and getting bullied.

Shaw is not a choir boy and really messed up in the finals this year, but for the most part his play has been excellent.

As for his influence on the young guys I think it will have the opposite effect. I think he can take on a leadership role and that can help him to mature up. Away from the safety net of Collingwood I think we would see some excellent play from this bloke.

Would be rapped if we get him.

A str8 swap for Adams would get the job done on our end i reckon, not sure if you guys would accept that though, would be around the mark IMO seeing how Adams wants to leave, so you're not going to get full market value.

I think that is a bit unfair given Adams just finished in our top 10 of the B&F and is 8 years younger. I reckon you need to sweeten the pot with an exchange of picks in our favour to get it over the line.

As for his influence on the young guys I think it will have the opposite effect. I think he can take on a leadership role and that can help him to mature up. Away from the safety net of Collingwood I think we would see some excellent play from this bloke.

Heath Shaw is about to be 28. He's been in the league for nine seasons. He's not magically going to become mature and a leader now if he hasn't already, even after the drink driving/lying incident and the gambling incident. What you see is what you get.

Heath Shaw is about to be 28. He's been in the league for nine seasons. He's not magically going to become mature and a leader now if he hasn't already, even after the drink driving/lying incident and the gambling incident. What you see is what you get.

I'd hire him over Franklin. But it's "hire".

If we aren't going to pursue Dustin Martin, why would we go after Heath Shaw?

Agreed 100%. Martin's younger and better on-field, and hasn't done anything approaching Shaw's idiocies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry to intrude. But i would be gutted if Heath Shaw was forced out of Collingwood.

Some of you mistake the 'bad culture' tag with shaw, with his ability to have brain explosions on field.

Tbh, i think he would thrive at any new club... i remember when he was in his early 20's people were ear marking him as a future captain of Collingwood, thats how great his influence was/is on field. I think his behaviour stems from not being a leader, and that where the internal clashes are coming from.

Give him a leadership role, which he would have at GWS in a young back line and he would thrive. He actually has matured somewhat off-field, so i really think he could help you guys.

Another thing, he works on the track as hard as anybody. You can see that with his run and dash out of the backline.

sorry to intrude. But i would be gutted if Heath Shaw was forced out of Collingwood.

Some of you mistake the 'bad culture' tag with shaw, with his ability to have brain explosions on field.

Tbh, i think he would thrive at any new club... i remember when he was in his early 20's people were ear marking him as a future captain of Collingwood, thats how great his influence was/is on field. I think his behaviour stems from not being a leader, and that where the internal clashes are coming from.

Give him a leadership role, which he would have at GWS in a young back line and he would thrive. He actually has matured somewhat off-field, so i really think he could help you guys.

Another thing, he works on the track as hard as anybody. You can see that with his run and dash out of the backline.

I totally agree, Shaw's mistakes are minor and more down to stupidity than being a bad seed.

If every player who has had a bet on a game got outed there would not be enough players to field a comp. If they don't directly bet they get their partners or mates to do it.

He is a high quality player and would really thrive outside the fishbowl that is Melbourne re footy.

He is an elite defender. CD had him as the most effective HBF in the game by analysing meters gained, running bounces and effective disposals.

It's not if he is a bad egg off the field. The incidents have long gone, he just has an issue keeping his emotions in check.

The extra responsibility might be the trigger point that finally settles him in this facet.

No one GWS gets is going to be perfect.

I reckon the culture is now strong enough to take some risks, and I'd prefer to take them in a position we need, rather than in hiring a forward we simply dont need.

Hire Shaw, apologise to Franklin's manager, explaining we couldnt wait any longer for him to make a decision.

I'd love to make a package for the no1 pick, Shaw-Witts-Keefe/Brown and pick 10 for pick 1 and Adams, pretty sure pick 1 isn't on the table but if it was that deal would be tempting for WS IMO.

Agree with you and Andre.

I'd love to make a package for the no1 pick, Shaw-Witts-Keefe/Brown and pick 10 for pick 1 and Adams, pretty sure pick 1 isn't on the table but if it was that deal would be tempting for WS IMO.

Someone like Boyd is lucky to come along once a decade. I'm not sure if that would do it to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back