Rumour Heath Shaw to GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does remind me a bit of that scene in moneyball where David Justice says (and I'm paraphrasing) "well you're paying me 6 million" and Billy Bean says "No, the NY Yankees are paying half of that. Just think about that, the Yankees are paying you 3 million dollars so that you can play against them." You reckon Shaw will be motivated agains the Pies next up?

He's free to slack off against Collingwood if he's able to get us up and firing against the 16 other clubs we have to play next year!

After both clubs traded out those middle picks in other deals, picks were never really going to be a viable set of steak knives. Too important high up and too meaningless lower down. Collingwood paying part of the salary is a pretty neat way of getting around the whole "we need Shaw AND something for Adams" (particularly if we're front loading the f#%& out of the contract :p )

Does remind me a bit of that scene in moneyball where David Justice says (and I'm paraphrasing) "well you're paying me 6 million" and Billy Bean says "No, the NY Yankees are paying half of that. Just think about that, the Yankees are paying you 3 million dollars so that you can play against them." You reckon Shaw will be motivated agains the Pies next up?

Maybe we should deliberately p*** Eddie McGuire off by posting on the Giants website that "Collingwood agrees to pay the COLA for Heath Shaw in the first year" :p

I'm wrapped for GWS and Heater. He will be a fantastic onfield leader and be hugely influential to your defense.

I am looking forward to getting out to Skoda next year and supporting your club.

(All you need to do now is sign up Didak and i'll probably end up buying a membership!)

Go Heater!

All for best for Heater with you guys, I'll miss his run and dash out of the backline and the passion he brings to the game. The out of bounds on the full and his brain fades not quite so much but with a new set of responsibilties and leadership for your kids he's every chance to turn all that around.

Make no mistake you've picked up an AA class defender, enjoy him :thumbsu:

After both clubs traded out those middle picks in other deals, picks were never really going to be a viable set of steak knives. Too important high up and too meaningless lower down. Collingwood paying part of the salary is a pretty neat way of getting around the whole "we need Shaw AND something for Adams" (particularly if we're front loading the f#%& out of the contract :p )

Perhaps. I'd put good money on him also being BOG against Carlton.

Enjoy Heater guys, I hope he's a good servant of the footy club and I'm sure he will be. Terrific player who loves his footy.

And we'll take good are of Tay... Watch him go from a virtual nobody in Melbourne to overhyped superstar in very quick time. ;)

Good work Giants, picks 1 and 2 plus the inclusions of Mumford, Shaw, Lamb and now probably Hunt, you guys wont suck so much next year :p

Disclaimer: Just joking - I actually like the Giants and like to think of them as my second team. Will be exciting to watch in 3 years time. :thumbsu:

Heath Shaw on his move

HEATH Shaw has revealed his football career would have been over within two years had he stayed at Collingwood.
Speaking for the first time since signing a five-year, $3.5 million deal with Greater Western Sydney, Shaw has spoken of the heartache of leaving the Magpies where he played 173 games - including the 2010 premiership.

The three-week trade period was an emotional roller-coaster for the 27-year-old, who didn't want to leave the club he'd been at for a decade and his family had been involved with for 40 years.

"I told them (Collingwood) I wanted to stay and they said they wanted to trade me," Shaw toldThe Daily Telegraph.

"I was pretty shocked and upset at that time.

"After it was done I didn't really want to speak to anyone, I went off-line for a few days just to take it all in.

"The process wasn't the greatest process to go through but now that it's done and dusted I'm really excited about the challenge ahead.

"I'm looking forward to getting to Sydney and getting stuck into pre-season."

"If I stayed at Collingwood I'm pretty confident I would have played out the two years remaining on my contract and that would have been it," Shaw said.

"The Giants have given me the opportunity to go somewhere else to re-energise and spend five years with a team that is up and coming, developing and improving and that's the exciting thing about going to GWS.

"Hopefully this year there's an improvement on last year and we keep developing over the next few years.

With his recruitment, Giants coach Leon Cameron has a player in the prime of his career who still thinks he can get better after 10 years in the game.

"I want to improve and get better as a footballer, I want to improve on this season where I was solid without being great," Shaw said.

"Selfishly I want to play some good footy and go up the ground and get amongst it and he's (Cameron) more than happy about that.

"I've had some good conversations with Leon about how that will happen."

As one of the experienced players at the Giants Shaw will also be expected to take on leadership responsibilities.

"Being an older statesman I have to push my team mates on the training track and push myself," Shaw said.

"Hopefully they jump on board and they can get some experience off me and learn what it takes to get to that top level which is a premiership. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ws/story-fn69a32t-1226747812958#ixzz2ivEISiWc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the other side of the coin to the new "professionalism" of free agency. Players can choose to be ruthless and leave but also, so can clubs choose to move guys on in similar ruthless fashion. Noone likes to be told times up though. All the best to him and hope he does well for you guys.

This is the other side of the coin to the new "professionalism" of free agency. Players can choose to be ruthless and leave but also, so can clubs choose to move guys on in similar ruthless fashion. Noone likes to be told times up though. All the best to him and hope he does well for you guys.

Not really the other side of the coin of free agency. Clubs have been able to do this for years. Now there's a bit of power in the players' hands for a change.

Just listening to Heath Shaw on Sen and he said if he can't get 39 from Mohr,
gubby allan said he can have #23 as that number is free and that happens to be Reids number.
So is Reid about to get delisted?

Interesting. Probably just a number change by Reid.

Even thru he has a year to go on his contract it was likely front loaded to such a degree that he wouldn't get much at all in 2014 so paying him out might not be such an issue.
But if it is a case that its just a number change then it will just be another 12mths until he is delisted anyway.

good call
I also like the suggestion above, that it may have been canvassed with him earlier about giving up no. 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back