Heath Streak has passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

Just 49. What terrible news.

Wow condolences to his family. Remember Zimbabwe when they were one of the stronger sides in the 90s. I think what stood out for me was his 1999 World Cup side and Zimbabwe who punched above their weight more often that not. He was a big part of that.

Remembered but not forgotten.

Wow condolences to his family. Remember Zimbabwe when they were one of the stronger sides in the 90s. I think what stood out for me was his 1999 World Cup side and Zimbabwe who punched above their weight more often that not. He was a big part of that.

Remembered but not forgotten.

they had that generation with the Flower brothers etc where they were pretty competitive. Similiar to a 2nd tier team like Sri Lanka. Shame the country went to s**t and the team got political problems.

I checked before posting, it was all over the news services and not the dodgy news services either.

Maybe delete the thread or discreetly insert the word "not" into the thread title. :)

they had that generation with the Flower brothers etc where they were pretty competitive. Similiar to a 2nd tier team like Sri Lanka. Shame the country went to s**t and the team got political problems.
That was a golden era of cricket with hindsight, we had a great side but they could still be taken out by pretty much any other side on their day.

Given that he is now not dead its probably worth mentioning that Streak is still currently serving an 8 year ban from cricket for match-fixing.

Given that he is now not dead its probably worth mentioning that Streak is still currently serving an 8 year ban from cricket for match-fixing.
Yes, definitely the time, I didn't think it was appropriate when he was deceased.

Mind you, he is still seriously ill with cancer. :(

That was a golden era of cricket with hindsight, we had a great side but they could still be taken out by pretty much any other side on their day.
You had a lot of great players at the top but I feel a lot of the players that played a heap of cricket in that era were solid but for some reason are remembered as better than they were. Guy Whittall, Craig Wishart etc. Even Grant Flower, though he was a very good one day player was just a good honest battler in the long form internationally, I feel like his reputation gets tied up with his brothers a bit.

So preoccupied with whether or not he could match-fix that he didn't stop to think if he should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zimbabwe's ODI record against Australia 1984-2013: P26 W0 L25 NR1.

Zimbabwe's ODI record against Australia 2014-2023: P5 W2 L3.

Australians just don't know todays Zimbabwe players because they don't play in a triangular series in January in Australia.

Talent wise across the nations probably, no T20's with just the two best formats. There was a ton of match fixing during this time though.

Zimbabwe's ODI record against Australia 1984-2013: P26 W0 L25 NR1.

Zimbabwe's ODI record against Australia 2014-2023: P5 W2 L3.

Australians just don't know todays Zimbabwe players because they don't play in a triangular series in January in Australia.

Am I misremembering or did one of the Aussie newspapers print an all-black back page the day after Zimbabwe beat Aus in a cricket match a couple decades back?

afaik i don't think it was proven but he was approaching other players as well.

unfortunately, the poorer nations have had this problem for quite some time, the ICC just sweeps it under the table because the Big 3 are unlikely to have as many issues and are the dominant forces in the game financially.

afaik i don't think it was proven but he was approaching other players as well.

unfortunately, the poorer nations have had this problem for quite some time, the ICC just sweeps it under the table because the Big 3 are unlikely to have as many issues and are the dominant forces in the game financially.
I mean the current IPL champions had their whole franchise banned for 2 years for match fixing so it's not like its just the poorer nations who have this problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back